CONFIRMED - Yakou Meite

234 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIRMED - Yakou Meite

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 20:31

Meite tries. And there's potential. But oxf*rd me, 4 years? Are we run by clowns?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2018 20:34

If we're asking questions about signings... what about the signing of an unproven, at Championship level, League 2 striker who cost £1m+ in transfer fee and even more in wages? Especially when we have an unproven, at Championship level, US international and academy product who has proven he can score goals at a similar standard to League 1/2 who has been sent out on loan.

Especially when said League 2 signing can't even get in the team when both first and second choice strikers are injured.

More questionable than signing 22 year old Meite, who has shown that he's willing to learn and improve, on what would seem to be relatively low wages.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2018 21:22

This is incredibly weird. A year ago we were trying to sell him. He hasn't done anything good for us since (in fact he looks worse than he did under Stam). An extra year might be a declaration of faith and protect us against losing him if he came good. Four years is insane and potentially lumbers us with him for years.

Sanguine Fcuking hell. The ball just bounces off him. Who was the tall, lanky academy striker who played two or three times under Adkins/Clarke and then left? Meite reminds me of him. He just looks completely lost, 98% of the time.

People have assumed that you're talking about Liburd, but could you be talking about Andrija Novakovich? Only issue there is that he hasn't left. Liburd's appearances were late Clarke/McDermott, Novakovich last played under Adkins and Clarke.

Liburd was probably my favourite U21 player ever, league top scorer and a total goal machine. But he was playing as an overage player (was 23 when we signed him iirc) and basically relied on his pace and power. Nova played alongside him in a partnership that was a bit like Roberts-Hunt, relying much more on guile and movement and work rate.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Oct 2018 21:35

I like Meite.....I think he has the potential to be a decent Championship player (nothing more mind) and I’m really pleased he has signed a new deal.......but.....4 years?? The club clearly think he is going to become worth a bob or two.....Surely that is the only reason they’ve handed it to him, because it can’t be on recent form!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2018 22:05

Hound He is ok. Great attitude, works hard. He might improve and become a dangerous player, or just not progress and continue to be an L1/L2 striker

Either way, 4 years is ridiculous

Isn’t it in reality three years as his existing deal doesn’t expire until Summer 19.
I thought he was pretty decent last night. A bench option in my view but not a starter.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Oct 2018 22:36

Not sure we should get too carried away with this. 4 years does sound a bit long but I bet when we signed him his wages weren’t much more than that of an academy player. They’ve probably doubled his wages to £5-£6k per week now

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 03 Oct 2018 22:40

Now I may be a cynic, but are we just preparing and tying players down so they can’t fvck off as soon as we are in League 1?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 08:14

I have woken up still in disbelief that this deal has been handed out to a player who hasn't scored a league goal for us, it is an utter disgrace and this club is only going one way with Gourlay at the helm.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Oct 2018 08:21

Go back to sleep then.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 08:24

sandman Go back to sleep then.

How does that stop players being given 4 year deals for no reason you utter shithorn?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Oct 2018 08:29

:lol:

It doesn't but it's stops the rest of us having to listen to your old man shouting at clouds routine.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 04 Oct 2018 09:21

Who's his agent?

This smells like another kick-back "you ain't see me" type-deal a la Brian Tevreden appointed CEO at KSV Roeselare, a club the owners happen to own situation.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 09:29

Nick Shorey my Lord! Who's his agent?

This smells like another kick-back "you ain't see me" type-deal a la Brian Tevreden appointed CEO at KSV Roeselare, a club the owners happen to own situation.

Absolutely agree, reckon Gourlay is on the take in some way.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2018 09:30

RoyalBlue What the f*ck are the idiots running/ruining our club playing at?

He's big, physical and works hard but he's a league 2 standard footballer at best. Maybe he's a late developer but I doubt it.

Wait and watch us desperately trying to offload him before the end of his contract unless, of course, we've sunk to his level by then.

He was signed from PSG so that makes him the next Pele (Clement) in the club's eyes.

By the way has happened to Clement (the player)? No sign of him in the matchday squads, no mention of him anywhere being injured, Has he even appeared in Academy games? I'm presuming it must be an injury and no-one's bothered enough about him to ask the management.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Oct 2018 09:36

Clunk your seatbelts, we’re in for a long ride.
If Clement (whatever your view) does not come good or gets worse and parts company, the next man in will constantly have the excuse of not being able to build his own team due to these long contracts.
We won’t be able to afford to pay them off and there’ll probably be some ffp problem trying to buy someone else.

The only job required in situations vacant will be Turd Polisher.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2018 10:23

Just want to remind everyone of a player who was written off constantly when he played for us and also didn't have a first touch.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Oct 2018 11:37

Hendo Just want to remind everyone of a player who was written off constantly when he played for us and also didn't have a first touch.

Who is that?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2018 11:48

Snowball
Hendo Just want to remind everyone of a player who was written off constantly when he played for us and also didn't have a first touch.

Who is that?

Manset.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Oct 2018 11:50

NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Who is that?

Manset.

Can he play guitar?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2018 11:53

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Who is that?

Manset.