Jaap being Honest

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Jaap being Honest

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Aug 2016 19:25

Quite refreshing seeing Jaap being honest , pragmatic and realistic with expectations on BBC South tonight , top ten unrealistic and looking to build something new .

Now we know and can relax !

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jaap being Honest

by 3points » 04 Aug 2016 23:53

Sacked by Christimas and a new manager will have to start again. Honesty is one thing, but there also needs to be a tinge of optimism in there too. Sounds like he's already preparing for a relegation battle.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Aug 2016 08:00

Sounds like he's playing down the possible smear on his CV for the real jobs he'll be after

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Aug 2016 08:24

I agree with OP. At first I was a bit deflated hearing it but then I thought, it's probably mental tactics so pressure is off slightly, and they aren't getting ahead of themselves.

I don't think he honestly thinks there is no chance of promotion, I don't think any pro sportsman thinks like that.

I'd rather he said what he said rather than be like Adkins and say "Top 6 is a must... 100 goals is our aim", and then have each sh1tty game add more pressure, disappointment and embarrassment.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Aug 2016 09:08

its not mental tactics. its just realism.

weve been at the bottom of the league the last two seasons, weve had our squad ripped up and torn apart, then rebuilt two summers in a row, first replacing everyone with shit loanees, this time with free/cheap foreign nobodies, we have a manager who has no experience of management, or the championship. have no decent strikers, no full back cover at all, (currently) 1 half decent CB, etc.

he needs time to sort this mess out, and the expectation management(for fans and owners) is exactly what is needed, to stop the daftly unrealistic stuff that has got our previous managers sacked

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2016 09:40

I'm just happy that it took him just the 2 months he has been here to work out HRK without even seeing him in training, only through old video clips. Incidentally, the new season approacheth and HRK is still clubless, maybe these hosts of clubs lining up to sign him watched the same videos Jaap did?

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 05 Aug 2016 10:00

I imagine it's like Ranieri's "We just want to get to 40 points." Takes pressure off players and they aren't as demoralised if they underperform.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Aug 2016 10:56

Didn't our Nige promise us 100 goals or something in his first full season? As long as he's told the players we're gonna win the league, I'm happy for him to lower our expectations, even though secretly we we all know it's a reverse jinx.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Aug 2016 11:32

Pepe the Horseman As long as he's told the players we're gonna win the league
Maybe if he told them they can win the league if they trust him and give 100% and that it'll be a squad effort and everyone will get their turn.

I imagine Adkins told the team they were going to win the league, so they tool their foot off the accelerator and mentally started spending their premier league salaries before the season started.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2016 18:12

Positive - he has a firm grasp on reality
Negative - he's effectively openly told everyone we might as well write the season off now and the chances of him being given the time to build to success in 2017/18 is pretty small.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Aug 2016 02:29

If you sign 8 players in one summer and then state you're not going to make the top ten, then surely you've signed the wrong players? I can understand saying we won't be pushing for play-offs but surely you've got to say something like a top 10 finish is our aim this season in order to build something for next?

Or we really don't have much money available and we're just trying to bring in anyone who will play for a couple of grand a week given we will have no parachute payments next season.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 06 Aug 2016 15:07

It's the Dutch new Reading way.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Aug 2016 08:30

Very down to earth and summed up the game well in his post match interview yesterday.

"We had a lot of possession in the first half and dominated the game totally. We created a couple of very good chances but did not finish it off. We should have scored a second goal.

"Some of our play was very good to watch. That's what we're aiming for. You can't do that against every team. But it's hard work and we're not there yet.

"We've only been working for six weeks and you can't achieve miracles in that time. But where the players are at the moment, we're very happy with that."

Loving your work so far Jaap; the players look to have shaken off the lethargic temperament from last year. Ballsy move bringing on Watson & Harriott on the right side; putting plenty of faith in his players & system. Good start to his tenure.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Aug 2016 09:58

3points If you sign 8 players in one summer and then state you're not going to make the top ten, then surely you've signed the wrong players? I can understand saying we won't be pushing for play-offs but surely you've got to say something like a top 10 finish is our aim this season in order to build something for next?

Or we really don't have much money available and we're just trying to bring in anyone who will play for a couple of grand a week given we will have no parachute payments next season.

Of course we dont have any money. Why else do u think weve brought in frees and very cheap buys?
A couple of grand is a bit silly. Youd think we will aim for average of 6-7 grand. With a few 12-15k players if warranted. Thats where we need to be. Its the 25kpw players that have killed us

And he did say after the game that top ten would be success.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Aug 2016 01:51

Maneki Neko
3points If you sign 8 players in one summer and then state you're not going to make the top ten, then surely you've signed the wrong players? I can understand saying we won't be pushing for play-offs but surely you've got to say something like a top 10 finish is our aim this season in order to build something for next?

Of course we dont have any money. Why else do u think weve brought in frees and very cheap buys?
A couple of grand is a bit silly. Youd think we will aim for average of 6-7 grand. With a few 12-15k players if warranted. Thats where we need to be. Its the 25kpw players that have killed us

And he did say after the game that top ten would be success.

Yep, I know what you're saying and having money is relative. My point was that if you look at the average earnings in many of the European leagues it is considerably lower than the Championship. Therefore we are picking up players like Rakels and Mendes from low earning leagues where actually £2k per week is probably pretty decent money. Wouldn't surprise me if a number of our new players are on less than £5k now. We have never really had many players on £25k per week except when we were in the Prem last time and even then it was just a handful, and not not as many as people liked to think.

I know it's a different league, but a Coventry supporting work colleague reckons nobody there now earns more than £1,500 per week. Don't our academy lads earn more than that? Thought I'd seen £2k for them rising to nearer £4K for those in and around the first team.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1