BFTG - Preston Home

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Preston Home

by RoyalBlue » 07 Aug 2016 16:05

Finally! The first Reading men's game in 2016 that was actually enjoyable.

Also looks like Jaap is assembling a team of footballers who are prepared to work hard for each other, rather than a team of 'Reading type' players who kick a ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2016 17:28

What was the shape like for the three midfielders?

Was it a fairly flat three with them playing fluid and dynamic? Was one or two holding with one or two pushed further forward? I presume Williams was more right side and Evans more left... ?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Aug 2016 17:30

Ian Royal What was the shape like for the three midfielders?

Was it a fairly flat three with them playing fluid and dynamic? Was one or two holding with one or two pushed further forward? I presume Williams was more right side and Evans more left... ?

Evans the deeper one generally. With Williams more right and Swift more left.
Lots of interchange though, which was nice

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2016 17:32

John Madejski's Wallet
Ian Royal What was the shape like for the three midfielders?

Evans the deeper one generally. With Williams more right and Swift more left.
Lots of interchange though, which was nice

Cheers.

That was one of the best things about the start of last season, watching the front three playing with such clever movement and interchangeability. Nice to hear the midfielders are producing that style so far.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Aug 2016 17:49

Missed the game and wasn't even aware that we had signed Harriet. Any early impressions?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 07 Aug 2016 17:53

Lower West Missed the game and wasn't even aware that we had signed Harriet. Any early impressions?

Came on late in the game. quite pacey, looked hungry to be in the action, put in a couple of decent crosses, far to little time to judge him yet.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2016 18:22

RoyalBlue Finally! The first Reading men's game in 2016 that was actually enjoyable.

Also looks like Jaap is assembling a team of footballers who are prepared to work hard for each other, rather than a team of 'Reading type' players who kick a ball.

Actually the Bournemouth game just a week before was quite good too.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Aug 2016 19:00

windermere_royal
Lower West Missed the game and wasn't even aware that we had signed Harriet. Any early impressions?

Came on late in the game. quite pacey, looked hungry to be in the action, put in a couple of decent crosses, far to little time to judge him yet.

Ola John always looked good as a late substitution. Never had the impact when starting.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 07 Aug 2016 19:16

Lower West
windermere_royal

Ola John always looked good as a late substitution. Never had the impact when starting.

'Always' you drunk, dad?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Aug 2016 21:26

LWJ
Lower West
windermere_royal

'Always' you drunk, dad?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Aug 2016 23:45

bcubed
Hampshire Royal The first half was the best I've seen a Reading team play for a couple of years. It was clear that Stam is trying to instil a Holland/Man U style of play.Pass the ball around, keeping possession, then only break when the opposition defence are out of position. I could hear,as has been said above, that people were calling for the ball to be lumped forward. Why? Keep possession and use the ball properly when you can. In the second half, PNE used their size and strength trying to intimidate us. It nearly worked on occasion, but we deservedly held on to win. That's not to say that we didn't attack in the second half, we did! But if we are going to play with wingers, who put in good high crosses, we need a big 'target man'. Unfortunately, Kermorgant isn't that player.

The defence didn't give me as many kittens as they did last season; the midfield was excellent, the attack lacked something. Rakels didn't play badly, but he was in the wrong position. Evans was brilliant as were Swift,and McClearly, Joey VDB was what we missed last season. He's a tough CB (at least he was today) and you could see the PNE players were frightened of him, not because he was going to thump them (although he did on a number of occasions, but because he just robustly stopped them. Williams was my MOTM.

It is obviously very early in the season, and things may go wrong, but I feel that there's something about this team which wasn't there in the in the last couple of years and it's really quite exciting!!

I don't know who PNE's youth manager is, so enormous respect to their players and fans for wholeheartedly giving their applause for Eamonn Dolan. on both occasions it was asked for.

Agree with first para.
We looked good. Patient but attacking with speed and purpose when there was an opportunity
Thought new boys (starters) were all impressive as were Evans and Williams
GMac had a real spring in his step as well

Major disappointment for me was Rakells.
Think he looks slow to react in the box. Should have been on the end of four or five chances not just the two obvious ones.
This looks the real weakness of this team especially if Kermogant is next in line.
New or loan striker please

I should have also said I really enjoyed that game
Haven't said that for months

And two off field incidents of note

Preston fans getting round the back of the scoreboard and into Y26
One Reading fan almost ran all the way up the stairs to have a pop. Stewards were struggling to deal with this and it almost got completely out of hand. A big security issue to be sorted

And Tiger in with the fans. Loads of selfies taken with him and plenty of singing. He seemed to be really enjoying it though I'm not sure he knew what was being sung. Tiger Tiger what's the score was greeted with a raised arm. Good to see the owners mixing with the noisy fans

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Aug 2016 00:12

bcubed Tiger Tiger what's the score was greeted with a raised arm.

Ohhh I thought that was him angrily gesturing to the stewards.

Booo tiger out.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Aug 2016 08:02

Just wanted to say I think the club have been absolutely fukcing brilliant recently.

£20 for away fans

the Eamon Dolan stand

The picture on that stand and the tributes before the game were excellent

The open days - great for families and general fans to feel closer to the club

Tiger coming into the stand - he doesn't have to do this, why does he? I think he wants the fans to be happy and he cares about the club. How many other chairmen would do that?

I also saw the new seating area outside the east stand - looks a nice touch and is the best solution to a ground outside of town with no nearby pubs.

I know fans whinge and moan - myself included - but when I look at other clubs and how they are run, even ones who have been better than RFC over recent years, I feel grateful to support this club.

Oh and yea good win and all that jazz.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Aug 2016 08:54

Westwood52 The Stadium announcer got a few things wrong
I find the stadium announcer is best ignored, He can't even read the player names out at the same speed as the scoreboard graphics giving the illusion he was reading the wrong names out when in fact he was 3 or 4 names ahead - It's not a race!

The instructions re: the Eamon Dolan tribute wasn't very audible either, I didn't know what was going on but just joined in when the video appeared - the sentiment was right and that's the important part.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Aug 2016 09:04

bcubed Preston fans getting round the back of the scoreboard and into Y26
One Reading fan almost ran all the way up the stairs to have a pop. Stewards were struggling to deal with this and it almost got completely out of hand. A big security issue to be sorted
Especially with Tiger in the stand, unless of course he was the one running up the stairs.... imagine that, the stewards dragging the owner out of the ground.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 08 Aug 2016 09:11

Forbury Lion
I find the stadium announcer is best ignored, He can't even read the player names out at the same speed as the scoreboard graphics giving the illusion he was reading the wrong names out when in fact he was 3 or 4 names ahead - It's not a race!

The instructions re: the Eamon Dolan tribute wasn't very audible either, I didn't know what was going on but just joined in when the video appeared - the sentiment was right and that's the important part.

He did read the names out wrong the first time (during the warm up). Read out Cooper as starting the game and then read his name out as being a sub. Got it right just before the game though.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Aug 2016 09:15

CrowthorneRoyal
Forbury Lion

He did read the names out wrong the first time (during the warm up). Read out Cooper as starting the game and then read his name out as being a sub. Got it right just before the game though.
Must have been a shock for Cooper and whoever he dropped :lol:

Perhaps Cooper was originally intended to be in the starting lineup?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Aug 2016 09:22

lets not slag the announcer - he read both teams out before the game, in a normal voice, and then just shut up. no histrionics, no shrieking Americanisms.
spot on.
was there a lack of goal music after the goal too? or did I just miss it?

I also saw the new seating area outside the east stand - looks a nice touch and is the best solution to a ground outside of town with no nearby pubs.

^^^yeah, walked past, and this place looked good and was packed.

well done RFC

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Aug 2016 09:24

Maneki Neko lets not slag the announcer - he read both teams out before the game, in a normal voice, and then just shut up. no histrionics, no shrieking Americanisms.
spot on.
was there a lack of goal music after the goal too? or did I just miss it?

^^^yeah, walked past, and this place looked good and was packed.

well done RFC

Did he at least tell you to back the boys and make some noise?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Aug 2016 09:34

We missed the first couple minutes due to foolishly deciding to get the new home kit, got in the queue at 2:30 and didn't get out until after kick off.

Also there was goal music, it started off quiet at first but it was there, new song.