Hob Nob Legend

What's the Problem?

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2016 08:35

So our record is

W2
D1
L2

in the league. 7 points from 5 = 64/65 point season

We have played away to Newcastle, Wolves, Cardiff; home to Brighton, four games most pundits here thought we'd lose

W2 in League Cup, so overall W4 D1 L2

Not sure what the problems is.

Looks to me like we have a squad that should comfortably finish top half and a reasonable chance of finishing 5th-10th with steady improvement

clauski

Re: What's the Problem?

by clauski » 01 Sep 2016 08:45

That's the problem. We may not be ready for it but we should still be striving for promotion and a top six finish not just top half. Yes it's a leap but look how Leicester leaped last year in the Premier league, so why not aim for this?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 01 Sep 2016 09:22

Everyone wanted Samuel back and given a chance last year.. now we have him, are they regretting that?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2016 10:08

Is anyone vehmently saying there is a problem?

We would have liked another striker, the club clearly wanted another striker. Therefore, I think it is only natural for there to be some disappointment there.

With Rakels out we are arguably one short up top, but we can only play one in our system. hopefully now that Kermogant has his first goal he may go on a little run, or Samuels/Meite will stay fit and prove their potential.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Sep 2016 10:09

When you look back, results are everything..... when you look forward, performance and ability to repeat the good results are key.

Last season in the league 9 points from 5 which using the same calculations = 82/83 points. We finished the season on 52 points.

I don't think there are any problems, we have any relegation fears to worry about and should comfortably finish mid-table, But you can never tell. The squad is good in terms of depth and strength except for up front and I'm sure they team will improve as they get to know each other and the method of play the manager wants.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2016 10:16

Snowball So our record is

W2
D1
L2

in the league. 7 points from 5 = 64/65 point season

We have played away to Newcastle, Wolves, Cardiff; home to Brighton, four games most pundits here thought we'd lose

W2 in League Cup, so overall W4 D1 L2

Not sure what the problems is.

Looks to me like we have a squad that should comfortably finish top half and a reasonable chance of finishing 5th-10th with steady improvement

this^^^

I wrote off away games at wolves and Newcastle so early in the season with a whole new squad.
then I said id like us to get 4 points from the next 4 games, and weve got them in two. playing nice football to boot.
some people just love a whinge

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Sep 2016 10:19

The problem is we don't have a single striker who would be considered much above average in Div 1 let alone the Championship and, clearly, this is going to impact on our performance more negatively than if we did.

Last year we had Vydra, Sa, Blackman, Robson-Kanu all four of whom I would say are better than all of our current options.

Lets hope our style of play can mitigate this obvious weakness much in the way that Liverpool have under Klopp

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2016 10:26

Schards#2 The problem is we don't have a single striker who would be considered much above average in Div 1 let alone the Championship and, clearly, this is going to impact on our performance more negatively than if we did.

Last year we had Vydra, Sa, Blackman, Robson-Kanu all four of whom I would say are better than all of our current options.

Lets hope our style of play can mitigate this obvious weakness much in the way that Liverpool have under Klopp

Who, in your opinion, are the teams with a better strike force in the championship this season? And who are teams with better strike forces than us in League 1?

Forty

by Forty » 01 Sep 2016 10:34

There's no problem. I'm one who's wanted to see the academy products play, and have been very impressed with Samuel (and Stacey, and Tanner, and fosu, and Watson and kuhl etc)

Seeing Antonio picked for England, and we let him go for whatever reason ..... Gutting. Pleased for him though

Samuel will get his opportunity now. How it pans out will be up to him and his knees; for me, the right move.

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 01 Sep 2016 10:44

I'd take a bullet for Jaap Stam

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Sep 2016 10:56

Schards#2 The problem is we don't have a single striker who would be considered much above average in Div 1 let alone the Championship and, clearly, this is going to impact on our performance more negatively than if we did.

Swift, a midfielder, is already two-thirds of the way to Vydra's league total for the whole of last season... I thought Sa was a good player but Blackman hit a freak run of form then reverted to type and HRK is not really a striker.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Sep 2016 11:04

genome

Swift, a midfielder, is already two-thirds of the way to Vydra's league total for the whole of last season... I thought Sa was a good player but Blackman hit a freak run of form then reverted to type and HRK is not really a striker.

Vydra had a poor season but is a decent player and commanded an £8m+ transfer fee, which of our current forwards do you think could command even 25% of this figure?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Sep 2016 11:07

It depends... we haven't seen half of them in the first team yet!

And the general consensus is the fee Vydra was ridiculous, and that Watford completely mugged Derby off.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Sep 2016 11:55

NewCorkSeth

Who, in your opinion, are the teams with a better strike force in the championship this season? And who are teams with better strike forces than us in League 1?

Championship:

Aston Villa - Gestede, McCormack, Kodija

Barnsley - Winnall, Bradshaw, Armstrong

Brighton - Murray, Hemed, Baldock

Derby - Vydra, Bent, Blackman

Huddersfield - Wells

Fullham - Martin, Smith, Aluko

Ipswich - McGoldrick, Pitman, Sears

Newcastle - Mitrovic, Gayle, Perez

Norwich - Jerome, Naismith, Lafferty

Nottingham Forest - Assombalonga, Fryatt

Wednesday - Forristieri, Hooper, Fletcher

Wigan - Grigg, Le Fondre

Wolves - Dicko, Bodvarson, Mason

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2016 12:06

The team is set up to get goals from Midfield and the personnel appear capable, so that's good enough for me.

No doubt I'll be eating my words come February, but I'm fairly satisfied with what the club has. If I were to go looking for problems I'd be concerned that there's a bit too much competition in midfield to get enough game time to keep them all sharp.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Sep 2016 12:27

Extrapolating a 46 game season from 5 matches is meaningless.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2016 12:38

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth Who, in your opinion, are the teams with a better strike force in the championship this season? And who are teams with better strike forces than us in League 1?

Championship:

Aston Villa - Gestede, McCormack, Kodija - Ill give you this one

Barnsley - Winnall, Bradshaw, Armstrong - Have any of these 3 played at this level before?

Brighton - Murray, Hemed, Baldock - Probably good yeah

Derby - Vydra, Bent, Blackman - Good on paper yes

Huddersfield - Wells - Great squad depth there... Having 1 good striker doesnt make their strikeforce better surely?

Fullham - Martin, Smith, Aluko - 2 of those are sh!t..

Ipswich - McGoldrick, Pitman, Sears - I assume this is a joke.

Newcastle - Mitrovic, Gayle, Perez - Yup

Norwich - Jerome, Naismith, Lafferty - No arguments here

Nottingham Forest - Assombalonga, Fryatt - Yes to the first, no to the second. Again, squad depth.

Wednesday - Forristieri, Hooper, Fletcher - Hooper sure but Fletcher???

Wigan - Grigg, Le Fondre - Lol

Wolves - Dicko, Bodvarson, Mason - This one is def a joke. Right? ..... Right?

I make that 5 that are without a doubt better than us in a league of 25.

Even so you name 12 teams. 12 out of 24. That puts us by your reckoning as the 13th best strikeforce in the league and that list is VERY debatable. We have nothing to worry about. Nothing at all.

pwb

by pwb » 01 Sep 2016 12:51

genome It depends... we haven't seen half of them in the first team yet!

And the general consensus is the fee Vydra was ridiculous, and that Watford completely mugged Derby off.

Like wise RFC Mugged Derby with the Blackman transfer, The Derby owners can't see that spending big money doesn't always get you promoted, how many seasons now, have they failed after starting off well?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Sep 2016 12:52

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth Who, in your opinion, are the teams with a better strike force in the championship this season? And who are teams with better strike forces than us in League 1?

Championship:

Aston Villa - Gestede, McCormack, Kodija - Ill give you this one

Barnsley - Winnall, Bradshaw, Armstrong - Have any of these 3 played at this level before?

Brighton - Murray, Hemed, Baldock - Probably good yeah

Derby - Vydra, Bent, Blackman - Good on paper yes

Huddersfield - Wells - Great squad depth there... Having 1 good striker doesnt make their strikeforce better surely?

Fullham - Martin, Smith, Aluko - 2 of those are sh!t..

Ipswich - McGoldrick, Pitman, Sears - I assume this is a joke.

Newcastle - Mitrovic, Gayle, Perez - Yup

Norwich - Jerome, Naismith, Lafferty - No arguments here

Nottingham Forest - Assombalonga, Fryatt - Yes to the first, no to the second. Again, squad depth.

Wednesday - Forristieri, Hooper, Fletcher - Hooper sure but Fletcher???

Wigan - Grigg, Le Fondre - Lol

Wolves - Dicko, Bodvarson, Mason - This one is def a joke. Right? ..... Right?

I make that 5 that are without a doubt better than us in a league of 25.

Even so you name 12 teams. 12 out of 24. That puts us by your reckoning as the 13th best strikeforce in the league and that list is VERY debatable. We have nothing to worry about. Nothing at all.

We have a 34 year old who has only scored more than 12 in a season once in the past decade

A youngster who is completely untried at this level

A currently injured Latvian who is, demonstrably, not good enough for the championship.

A young French striker who, thus far, looks completely out of his depth and unfit

I would contend that every other team in the division has better options up front. As for Div 1, I don't follow it closely but, based on the last time we played there, I would expect the above to be inferior to most in that division.

Samuel may grow into it, Mendes may improve as he gets acclimatised but, right now, our centre forward options are poor and it's daft to suggest otherwise

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Sep 2016 12:57

Schards#2 We have a 34 year old who has only scored more than 12 in a season once in the past decade

A youngster who is completely untried at this level

A currently injured Latvian who is, demonstrably, not good enough for the championship.

A young French striker who, thus far, looks completely out of his depth and unfit

I would contend that every other team in the division has better options up front.

#RelegationWatch