SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

198 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

by tmesis » 11 Sep 2016 10:35

leon
John Madejski's Wallet (OK and McGhee whose team were fcuking brilliant and could pass the ball. So there is some hope, but they ATTACKED)

What made the MM team special was the understanding the players had with each other. They could almost have played blindfolded, because they would have known Gilkes would have been making this run, Quinn would have be moving towards the back post, Taylor would have been taking up that position on the other side etc.

The current team has been thrown together and doesn't have that understanding yet, which is why it often breaks down going forward. If it wasn't for that then we'd be creating another two or three good chances per half, and fans would be bothered about the ball being passed backwards now and then.

From an attacking point of view, I'd also say that it doesn't matter what style we play. Until we get some understanding up front, we're not going to create many good chances.

I'd add to that though, that if we need more spells of possession than most teams to create a chance, it makes sense to limit the amount of possession they have, and our current style does no that.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Sep 2016 10:44

not that we've dropped a division but we have slowly seen the departure of all the personalities who care about us, and replaced them with personnel who would be just as happy playing here, or at Huddersfield or at Southampton

The club was stale and on a massive downward spiral. It needed to be swept clean. For me staam and the football and the change, is a breath of fresh air.

What happened to all those people that cared about us? Apart from Brian, theyre all happy playing/working at Southampton/Huddersfield/Swansea/West brom/Derby.
Madejskis care lasted as far as finding literally the first crook willing to hand him some money.

We as a set of fans need to let past success go. U cant just keep trying to live up to that. Its gone. Lets move on.

And thats from someone who loved coppell/Brian/their style of play more than life itself.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Sep 2016 11:46

Yeah I get the fact that time is needed to build anything of any worth.

I agree with Dr H that actually we're suffering an existential crisis and have for some years.

I'm hoping Stam can create something here where Adkins and Clarke couldn't maybe his standing in the game gives him an advantage. We do need some youngsters to come through.

Just not convinced with the playing style.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Sep 2016 12:43

Yeah, I get the whole 'get behind the team' stuff....but ffs it's gonna be looooong season watching that.

Come on....Stam needs to reaslise that on occasions we'll need to change it up a bit.

Last day of the season, need a goal for automatic promotion / avoid relegation.....4th offical shows 4 mins left....Al Habsi's got the ball....."go long, get it up there" we cry....Al Habsi's passes to Gunter, Gunter back to Al Habsi....Al Habsi...now under pressure passes it to Obita....back to McShane.....Swift runs back....collects the ball.....passes to Obita.....under pressure passes back to Al Habsi. FFS.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Sep 2016 13:52

I think Stam's shown a willingness to switch it up. Against MK, he told Cooper to start playing some longer passes, one of which led to our equaliser. Last night we played quite a few long balls to Kermogant, although we struggled to do anything with them.

We need to get better at turning defence into attack. Swansea could do it, so can we.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2016 14:01

I get being frustrated and grumbling, some shouting. But booing is for clueless displays when you're 0-3 down or gone 5 without victory. Or worse. You'd have to be an idiot to think we're not currently meeting or exceeding realistic expectations. Results matter and we're getting them. That gives us the time to start really sorting the performances.

Booing is not for 0-0, 30 minutes into a home game on WLLDW form.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Sep 2016 17:28

Also think the style suffered for not having the creative flair and movement of Swift.

Evans played in the win at Cardiff so I get playing him again, but Swift is back now, we looked better wirh him on and will look better that that performance going forward

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Sep 2016 17:30

And literally the last home game, vs brighton, we had the backwards passing and possession, but also mixed it up nicely with attacking wing play and longer passes.
How is it OK, with a decent away win In between, to forget all that and Start booing after 30 mins.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2016 17:45

Maneki Neko Also think the style suffered for not having the creative flair and movement of Swift.

Evans played in the win at Cardiff so I get playing him again, but Swift is back now, we looked better wirh him on and will look better that that performance going forward

I'd be rather frightened of the midfield being totally powderpuff with both Williams and Swift in it personally.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Sep 2016 19:21

Ian Royal
Maneki Neko Also think the style suffered for not having the creative flair and movement of Swift.

I'd be rather frightened of the midfield being totally powderpuff with both Williams and Swift in it personally.

No midfield with Joey in it is even slightly powderpuff !
Evans and Joey together with Swift playing in behind Kermogant is the way to play. I'd look at Wiener and Joey as well.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Sep 2016 19:50

Ian Royal

Because Evans is such a physical behemoth.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2016 20:00

Maneki Neko
Ian Royal

Because Evans is such a physical behemoth.

Better defensively than Williams, or what I've seen of Swift (who isn't there to defend).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2016 20:00

Nameless
Ian Royal

Evans and Joey together with Swift playing in behind Kermogant is the way to play. I'd look at Wiener and Joey as well.

Quinn and Joey?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2016 20:27

SCIAG I think Stam's shown a willingness to switch it up. Against MK, he told Cooper to start playing some longer passes, one of which led to our equaliser. Last night we played quite a few long balls to Kermogant, although we struggled to do anything with them.

We need to get better at turning defence into attack. Swansea could do it, so can we.

Swansea had already implemented their style for a few seasons before Rodgers under Sousa and co and it was only when they had arguably the best player in the division did they go up.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Sep 2016 21:45

Nameless
Ian Royal

Joey, Wieser, and Evans. Let's see anyone score against that team.

CountryRoyal
SCIAG I think Stam's shown a willingness to switch it up. Against MK, he told Cooper to start playing some longer passes, one of which led to our equaliser. Last night we played quite a few long balls to Kermogant, although we struggled to do anything with them.

Swansea had already implemented their style for a few seasons before Rodgers under Sousa and co and it was only when they had arguably the best player in the division did they go up.

Sousa changed the style quite dramatically, he made them into a very defensive team who ground out 1-0 wins.

We've been playing with a short passing style under the last four managers (including Stam) and our academy players have been doing it for even longer. If Rodgers could turn Sousa's team into his team in a year, then Stam can turn McDermott's team into something similar.

Who are you calling the best player in the league? Borini, Sinclair, Allen? I don't think they came close to Taarabt or Hoolahan or Graham or Kebe personally.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2016 22:12

Sinclair, and I said arguably.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Sep 2016 09:59

I have to say that i am very impressed with the work that Jaap Stam is doing at the moment. Considering the very short time that he has been in charge you could say that he has already moved mountains and fundamentally changed the footballing ethos at Reading FC.
The progress made up to this point is fantastic. There is no doubt that you need the right personnel to play the way that Stam wants us to play and it will take several transfer windows to get the blend right.

You really do need the right type of players with a certain skill set to make this style of football work. You just have to see Pep Guardiola's attention to detail at Man City. A good keeper in Hart is getting moved out because it's more important to have a keeper than can play a bit as well.

For me, John Swift is our Lionel Messi at the moment. He is the one that can bind things together and pull the strings. In the first half against Ipswich when the tractor boys sat back we were able to move in to forward areas without Swifty. But when Mick changed tact in the second half and pressed us all over the pitch, that is when you need a Messi who can play under pressure and keep the ball moving. Whether by dribbling past someone or picking out great passes to move defense into attack. Swift did that for us when he came on against Ipswich and we improved at that stage of the game when Ipswich were pressing us. It also helped when Obita came on for Blackett. Those changes made the difference.

We want teams to press us high up the pitch and try and close us down as Ipswich did in the second half. That is the benefit of the system to draw your opponent out of their half and open the space right across the pitch. That gives us the room to attack and take apart the opposition. But you need players with the skills, the ability on the ball, the dribbling and the passing to really make it work well.

Swift was a great signing and exactly the right player we need for this style of play. We have to give Stam the time and support to make it work. Early signs are great and very encouraging. As long as he can keep us out of the bottom 3, he needs the time to do his work, we will get better and better. We have to support this man. He is a top coach. Great manager.

Stam is certainly punching above my expectations. I was expecting a massive struggle this season and I will be delighted with any manager that can keep us in the championship going in to next season. Stam is doing the job as far as I can see and the style of football is going to keep improving. These are very exciting times for Reading Football Club and for the players that we have. What a great place to play your football. A team that plays like Barcelona and is managed by a legend in world football. I wouldn't want to play my football any where else.

Big mistake from Norwood and Tish to leave. Great decisions by Blackett, Moore, Swift, Beerens etc. to join the Stam revolution. If I were a player there is no other club in the championship that I would rather be at right now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Sep 2016 10:07

Top Flight I have to say that i am very impressed with the work that Jaap Stam is doing at the moment. Considering the very short time that he has been in charge you could say that he has already moved mountains and fundamentally changed the footballing ethos at Reading FC.
The progress made up to this point is fantastic. There is no doubt that you need the right personnel to play the way that Stam wants us to play and it will take several transfer windows to get the blend right.

You really do need the right type of players with a certain skill set to make this style of football work. You just have to see Pep Guardiola's attention to detail at Man City. A good keeper in Hart is getting moved out because it's more important to have a keeper than can play a bit as well.

For me, John Swift is our Lionel Messi at the moment. He is the one that can bind things together and pull the strings. In the first half against Ipswich when the tractor boys sat back we were able to move in to forward areas without Swifty. But when Mick changed tact in the second half and pressed us all over the pitch, that is when you need a Messi who can play under pressure and keep the ball moving. Whether by dribbling past someone or picking out great passes to move defense into attack. Swift did that for us when he came on against Ipswich and we improved at that stage of the game when Ipswich were pressing us. It also helped when Obita came on for Blackett. Those changes made the difference.

We want teams to press us high up the pitch and try and close us down as Ipswich did in the second half. That is the benefit of the system to draw your opponent out of their half and open the space right across the pitch. That gives us the room to attack and take apart the opposition. But you need players with the skills, the ability on the ball, the dribbling and the passing to really make it work well.

Swift was a great signing and exactly the right player we need for this style of play. We have to give Stam the time and support to make it work. Early signs are great and very encouraging. As long as he can keep us out of the bottom 3, he needs the time to do his work, we will get better and better. We have to support this man. He is a top coach. Great manager.

Stam is certainly punching above my expectations. I was expecting a massive struggle this season and I will be delighted with any manager that can keep us in the championship going in to next season. Stam is doing the job as far as I can see and the style of football is going to keep improving. These are very exciting times for Reading Football Club and for the players that we have. What a great place to play your football. A team that plays like Barcelona and is managed by a legend in world football. I wouldn't want to play my football any where else.

Big mistake from Norwood and Tish to leave. Great decisions by Blackett, Moore, Swift, Beerens etc. to join the Stam revolution. If I were a player there is no other club in the championship that I would rather be at right now.

:|

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Sep 2016 10:22

Nameless I'd look at Wiener

*giggles*

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Sep 2016 10:52

Top Flight I have to say that i am very impressed with the work that Jaap Stam is doing at the moment. Considering the very short time that he has been in charge you could say that he has already moved mountains and fundamentally changed the footballing ethos at Reading FC.

disagree that its Barcelona that stam is emulating and disagree with your one eyed assessment of clubs in the championship and why players would/should want to play for them, but otherwise, spot on

198 posts