How loyal will Stam be?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

How loyal will Stam be?

by windermere_royal » 18 Sep 2016 14:37

It was my over riding concern when JS took over that he maybe using us as a stepping stone to bigger things in the future. indeed if he as ambitions who could blame him?
Now results are on the upturn and he is getting the tactics right and the team is gelling, do we think he will want to stay and finish the job?

Lets be honest he is a big name in football terms and played for one of the biggest teams in the world in their prime, its only natural as soon as one of the PL teams get rid of their manager his name will be high up on the list of candidates.
Watching Stoke it may not be too far away,

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How loyal will Stam be?

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Sep 2016 14:51

windermere_royal It was my over riding concern when JS took over that he maybe using us as a stepping stone to bigger things in the future. indeed if he as ambitions who could blame him?
Now results are on the upturn and he is getting the tactics right and the team is gelling, do we think he will want to stay and finish the job?

Lets be honest he is a big name in football terms and played for one of the biggest teams in the world in their prime, its only natural as soon as one of the PL teams get rid of their manager his name will be high up on the list of candidates.
Watching Stoke it may not be too far away,

I doubt it will be as soon as this season somehow..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Sep 2016 15:10

Jesus.. we've won a few games and all of a sudden people are going to poach Stam?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 18 Sep 2016 15:26

windermere_royal It was my over riding concern when JS took over that he maybe using us as a stepping stone to bigger things in the future. indeed if he as ambitions who could blame him?

With Man United's 3 defeats on a trot it may not be too far away,

:wink:

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 18 Sep 2016 16:16

Having a manager leave because he's too good for us is far preferable to us having to worry about sacking him.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 18 Sep 2016 16:23

St. Brynjar Having a manager leave because he's too good for us is far preferable to us having to worry about sacking him.

While frustrating, I guess it's similar to players like Shane Long & Gylfi outgrowing us & moving on. Just with a manager it's a bigger impact.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 18 Sep 2016 16:31

I could be reading him incorrectly, but he strikes me as an honorable man who would be as good as his word. I have no idea what kind of assurances he has given the club/board, but I imagine he has said that he would like time to build a team and to do something worthwhile in his first management post. I don't see him as a Steve Clarke kind of character.

Even if he does well, and It seems at the moment that he might, I can see him being here this season and next. Who knows, next season we might be in a position to challenge for promotion and then he'd have himself a Prem Team to manage!

I think he will care about building his reputation and not just swan off with the first team to flutter their eyelashes at him. I cant see him being here forever, but do believe he will be with us for a while.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Sep 2016 16:52

Couldn't blame him if he did leave, considering we've shown no loyalty to our managers for the past eight years.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 18 Sep 2016 17:23

Talk about trying to grab some gloom out of what is a positive start to the season.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Sep 2016 17:38

Him leaving is a given, whether that's sacked or poached. The concern should be the club's ability to find a suitable replacement. We have been shit at that for the last few years.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Sep 2016 18:08

I reckon we've got him for 3 seasons max. That's a year to bed in, next year to get promoted and the season after in the PL, if we're lucky. Otherwise, he'll either have done well enough to attract higher profile attention and be off before the end of next season, or have done bad enough we'll have got shot of him.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 18 Sep 2016 18:16

Having heard him talk, he is ambitious and I would expect him to go if he he got an offer from a "bigger" club. Having said that I don't see that this season although the summer could be interesting.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Sep 2016 18:26

As long as he goes to a genuinely bigger club I wouldn't hold a grudge against him, Clarke's flirting with Fulham was just a farce.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Sep 2016 19:31

Everyone who ever comes here as player or manager would be off like a shot if a bigger club came calling offering more money/backing?
Even Saint Brian or steven would have left for arsenal/utd if theyd done well enough to merit the call
We are a stepping stone.

George_

by George_ » 18 Sep 2016 20:37

If he was to clear off after 3 seasons & have guided us to promotion then I would 100% take that right now. He comes across as being loyal to the club and in it for a long project and you would hope that as we are the club that gave him his 1st job he would show loyalty if another club came in for him.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 18 Sep 2016 21:16

I've been worrying this as well, although it would make a nice alternative to him being sacked by the club leaving us tasked with rebuilding yet again following another failure

I agree with Ian, I think he'd be willing to stay 2 seasons given what he's said. That's a year to consolidate, and then another aimed at promotion. Obviously he'd probably be keen to give the Premier League a shot with us if we made it, although I think two seasons without a genuine promotion challenge the owners might give him the boot anyway

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Sep 2016 22:02

He's only been here five minutes and his disciples are already proclaiming him as the next Guardiola. No one is going to poach him yet.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Sep 2016 22:41

Generally, Dutch coaches seem to go along the route of youth team coaching in Holland then lower league, there seems to be a bit of a culture of learning the trade in increments and building up a reputation.

I don't see Stam as the sort of personality to make a jump to a big club on a whim. If he goes of his own accord, I think it will be on the back of doing good things here.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 19 Sep 2016 03:20

Now don't get me wrong. Having visited many forums for other clubs I think this forum is one of the best.

However ...

We lose matches and don't seem to have a plan and the doom mongers have their knives out for the players and the manager.

Then - like now - we seem to be coming together and build up a nice run and start climbing the table and the doom-mongers are out again complaining about other clubs who are going to pinch our players and/or sign our manager.

I guess some people are always negative by nature!!

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 19 Sep 2016 04:30

If we do well with Stam, then inevitably he will leave for a bigger club than us. Teams who have enjoyed success in the recent past seem to go through these cyclic changes where their managers get pinched every few years or so. Southampton are the biggest example of this, with Swansea also to a lesser extent.

The way these clubs continue to operate effectively is by making astute appointments when this time does come around. The early indications are saying that Stam has been a bit of a coup for us, and whether the appointment came from Tevreden, Tiger or Howe, it seems like there may be better infrastructure in place than perhaps there has been in the past.