BFTG - 'uddersfield

139 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - 'uddersfield

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Sep 2016 18:54

What I enjoy most about the Stam way is the playing of two proper wingers and the memory of Kanu and an underperforming McCleary as our generally ineffective wide men has gone -a rejuvenated McCleary and the two new players provide serious attacking threats.
I quite like Joey but don't buy into his big ratings yesterday-he was twice caught in possession dallying on the ball which could so easily have proven costly-he is however quickly becoming the new Parky.
Swift continues to shine and I suppose Williams brings some sort of energy to midfield but regrettably he has no vision.

There is definitely a feel good factor around because of the results and that we are becoming a harder team to beat with Moore exuding confidence at the back.
So far, so good from the manager and this team.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Sep 2016 18:58

leon
Royal Rother Rita: We've had a tweet in from Buck in Burghfield asking why Jack Stacey hasn't featured much this season.

Adi: That's a great tweet Tim.

Tim: A great tweet Adi.

Adi: What's the answer then Tim?

Tim: I'm not sure Adi. We certainly haven't seen him for a while.

Every Reading supporter in the world: (screaming) He's on loan at fcuking Exeter you muppets!!!!! :twisted:

Adi: Maybe you could find out then Tim.

Tim: I think I'll ask the manager that one later.

Adi: That's a good idea Tim. What a great tweet from Buck.

Rita: Keep 'em coming.

Maybe you and Ian could do the show.

After all you're both experts on football and broadcasting.
:lol:

Personally the amalgam of ex-players, public school yet fanatical privileged kid and a miserable Mackem is great by me. Always enjoy BBCB's coverage.....even the off-pitch trivia.
We did the serious sh1te stance with Reading107.....it was cack.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2016 19:42

:|

It takes all sorts I suppose but a little in depth knowledge would be good to go along with the enthusiasm and amateur hour chit-chat nonsense.

They are PAID to know about Reading FC, which also happens to be the club they support. I am paid to do something else, support another club yet I know more about the fringe and Academy players than they do.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 25 Sep 2016 19:49

RG7Fan
Woodcote Royal
genome
Ridiculous rating considering we didn't actually concede...

Yep, sometimes you wonder what these people spent their afternoon watching :P

Apparently, top of the table Huddersfield could "easily" have won when I thought the second half was all about them throwing the kitchen sink at us in a desperate attempt to snatch a draw, with the likes of McShane and Moore ensuring that never happened.

God knows what ratings they'll get when this mid table side, with the temerity to currently occupy 4th place, concedes to a side outside the play offs :|

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, this rapidly developing team is forgetting how to lose!

We went into this game against the top side in the division with 2 players under suspension having played the final halves of the last 2 games with 10 men.

To state the obvious, there must have been some tired legs out there today and most of them will have to do it all again at Brentford on Tuesday night. Added to this, our unsuspended left back picked up a first half yellow.

Had we really been anywhere close to "dire" in the second half we would not have beaten a very decent 10 man Huddersfield and our new manager deserves all available plaudits for managing the resources at his disposal to such great effect.

A fantastic performance by all involved.

This.

12 weeks ago a lot of people on here were saying this was a year of rebuilding and not to expect much - fair comment based on the end of last season, the number of new players signed and new manager (so soon after the last). We are performing better than expected and watching is more enjoyable than last year (and we are winning, or at least not losing). Amen to that.

I keep staring at the league table and find it quite astonishing that once Brentford are out of the way we will have played 7 out of the current top 10 teams v. 2 out of the bottom ten. :shock:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Sep 2016 20:32

Royal Rother :|

It takes all sorts I suppose but a little in depth knowledge would be good to go along with the enthusiasm and amateur hour chit-chat nonsense.

They are PAID to know about Reading FC, which also happens to be the club they support. I am paid to do something else, support another club yet I know more about the fringe and Academy players than they do.

All about opinions and preferences RR...and my god we differ on most :)

As bad as you think that it is.....check out what others have to put up with...

....we are truly blessed

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2016 21:25

Royal Rother :|

If you support another club then I would suggest you might want to comment on the quality of that clubs broadcasters on the appropriate forum and not pollute this one with your views.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Sep 2016 06:58

There it is!!! :lol:

oh_ROAR

by oh_ROAR » 26 Sep 2016 12:00

Whilst the BBCRB coverage is far from perfect, (I agree with with the points regarding Williams and Dillon) I think Dellor does a good job in terms of in-game commentary and painting a picture with words so to speak. Some of his post-match interviews and conversations in the studio leave a little to be desired though

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Sep 2016 12:15

Terrier I've no doubt if the same had occurred last season we'd have lost 4/5-0.
Maybe, if it had been at this same stage last season with Nick Blackman scoring for fun and Orlando Sa starting, but probably not anytime after that as we would have struggled to score and would probably have let one in at the back.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 26 Sep 2016 12:35

AthleticoSpizz Personally the amalgam of ex-players, public school yet fanatical privileged kid and a miserable Mackem is great by me. Always enjoy BBCB's coverage.....even the off-pitch trivia.

"Miserable Mackem?" Born in Newcastle and makes his love og NUFC clear at every half-opportunity and you call him a Mackem?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Sep 2016 12:39

East Grinstead Royal
AthleticoSpizz Personally the amalgam of ex-players, public school yet fanatical privileged kid and a miserable Mackem is great by me. Always enjoy BBCB's coverage.....even the off-pitch trivia.

"Miserable Mackem?" Born in Newcastle and makes his love og NUFC clear at every half-opportunity and you call him a Mackem?

Whoever originally used the term "Miserable Mackem" was referring to Kevin Dillon.

George_

by George_ » 26 Sep 2016 12:56

Jano

by Jano » 26 Sep 2016 13:19

Joey's passing in the first half - :shock: Was not expecting 60 yard crossfield inch perfect passes from him at all. He has quickly become the heart of the team for me, it was no surprise we fell apart after he went off.

Also surprised how many are praising Kermorgant. He's a striker. He's never in the box. He therefore never scores. All very well praising his work rate and how he's done one for the team, but it's still very very odd. Either he needs to play behind a striker or he needs to be told to get in the box to finish off moves, not start them.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 Sep 2016 13:19

Terrier Afternoon. Town fan here. Thought it was a good game yesterday. Pretty even for 20 minutes before the red card. Daft from VLP but poor from the ref - he was away and pulled down so definitely deserved a booking. No idea what he said but Wells clearly heard and thought he was out of order. You then we're all over us for 25 minutes and we were lucky to get in at half time 1 down.

Wagner clearly got us in order to play with 10 and we probably deserved a point by full time. As is often the case none of the scraps fell for us though and it wasn't to be. Our lack of depth upfront showed (we only have 2 strikers) and, as they were already on, we resorted to 2 CBs up top and went route 1.

I've no doubt if the same had occurred last season we'd have lost 4/5-0. Like yourselves we are well organised, with no 'star' players, just a good, honest squad who are very fit. In a league where all teams can beat each other that will hopefully get us a long way. We've also got a great spirit and the connection between the club and fans has never been better. The response at full time was one I've not seen too often after we've just lost.

All in all an enjoyable day, although the head is a bit thick today after a night out in Reading centre.

Enjoy the season.

Pretty much as I view it fella, felt we were a little slow out of the traps and you worked one good opening in the first 10, but once the game settled down the rhythm was one that is becoming very familiar here - we knock the ball around the back trying to draw your players out and working the opening from there, and up until RVLP's red it was looking to be playing out as a stalemate.

But then of course RVLP's moment of madness. From my vantage point I thought he was a little unlucky to be carded for his first offence given he played the ball then the man, and IMO wasn't reckless (which is the wording in the LOTG) although I can see why the referee gave the free kick as he had to go underneath Obita to get to the ball. But then to do what he did when we know referees are carding players for dissent at the drop of a hat, well he was mental. I note from your boards that a number of your supporters are berating him and rightly so. I'd be livid if that was a Reading player, but I'm sure you'll forgive me for my chuckles when it happened!!

Then for 25 minutes Huddersfield lost their heads, Swift was very unlucky with his 25 yarder, loads of balls flying around the place, and in some ways it's disappointing we had to rely on a deflected daisycutter to win it. But then second half, with 10 men, impressive stuff from Huddersfield but also some chances for us which leaves me with a strange feeling of not knowing whether to be disappointed that we were pinned back so easily against 10 men or pleased with seeing out the match to a thoroughly creditable 3 points. Pinning us back with high intensity, high pressure football clearly worked, and I think you can count yourself a tad unfortunate not to have come away with a point, but then also not a heavier defeat as Williams, Harriott and Kermogant all had efforts on goal that could have (perhaps should have) been put away.

In short, carry on like that second half you'll do well this season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Sep 2016 14:04

Another priceless three points in the fight against relegation. Well done Reading!

mambo3

by mambo3 » 26 Sep 2016 14:06

handbags_harris
Terrier Afternoon. Town fan here. Thought it was a good game yesterday. Pretty even for 20 minutes before the red card. Daft from VLP but poor from the ref - he was away and pulled down so definitely deserved a booking. No idea what he said but Wells clearly heard and thought he was out of order. You then we're all over us for 25 minutes and we were lucky to get in at half time 1 down.

Wagner clearly got us in order to play with 10 and we probably deserved a point by full time. As is often the case none of the scraps fell for us though and it wasn't to be. Our lack of depth upfront showed (we only have 2 strikers) and, as they were already on, we resorted to 2 CBs up top and went route 1.

I've no doubt if the same had occurred last season we'd have lost 4/5-0. Like yourselves we are well organised, with no 'star' players, just a good, honest squad who are very fit. In a league where all teams can beat each other that will hopefully get us a long way. We've also got a great spirit and the connection between the club and fans has never been better. The response at full time was one I've not seen too often after we've just lost.

All in all an enjoyable day, although the head is a bit thick today after a night out in Reading centre.

Lucky to get away with a win, a draw would of been fair, I feel. Full credit to Huddersfield for the way they got back at us. we don't seem to have a plan B for 10 men as we didn't seem to know what to do with the extra man we had or if we are pressed. Yann is a striker and although he worked his nuts off he's still paid to score and for all his good work and effort we had no outlet and his hold up play was suspect having said that at the other end he was immense as a Defender at corners or when he dwelt in midfield. As a Team Reading work as a unit and don't need any more players to spoil there Team Spirit this will win them games but we need to be less transparent.

Enjoy the season.

Pretty much as I view it fella, felt we were a little slow out of the traps and you worked one good opening in the first 10, but once the game settled down the rhythm was one that is becoming very familiar here - we knock the ball around the back trying to draw your players out and working the opening from there, and up until RVLP's red it was looking to be playing out as a stalemate.

But then of course RVLP's moment of madness. From my vantage point I thought he was a little unlucky to be carded for his first offence given he played the ball then the man, and IMO wasn't reckless (which is the wording in the LOTG) although I can see why the referee gave the free kick as he had to go underneath Obita to get to the ball. But then to do what he did when we know referees are carding players for dissent at the drop of a hat, well he was mental. I note from your boards that a number of your supporters are berating him and rightly so. I'd be livid if that was a Reading player, but I'm sure you'll forgive me for my chuckles when it happened!!

Then for 25 minutes Huddersfield lost their heads, Swift was very unlucky with his 25 yarder, loads of balls flying around the place, and in some ways it's disappointing we had to rely on a deflected daisycutter to win it. But then second half, with 10 men, impressive stuff from Huddersfield but also some chances for us which leaves me with a strange feeling of not knowing whether to be disappointed that we were pinned back so easily against 10 men or pleased with seeing out the match to a thoroughly creditable 3 points. Pinning us back with high intensity, high pressure football clearly worked, and I think you can count yourself a tad unfortunate not to have come away with a point, but then also not a heavier defeat as Williams, Harriott and Kermogant all had efforts on goal that could have (perhaps should have) been put away.

In short, carry on like that second half you'll do well this season.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 26 Sep 2016 22:30

Turned out to be a better game than it first looked. A draw would have been fair but I'd say if anyone deserved the win it was us. Cagey and pretty even until the red card. Cant remember us creating much first half than Swift's shot that came off the post and a couple more long range attempts. Got the bit of luck we needed with Beerens goal.

Our defence is in the best shape its been in for years, in terms of both the depth and the quality of the players. Far better than it was the last time we went up, and for the season in the PL. Also really impressed with the new additions in midfield. The only let down is that we are short of decent options upfront. Kermy does everything you could ask of him and more, except do what striker does, and thats get into positions to score, he just doesnt do that enough.

Wouldn't say we 'fell apart' when VBD came off. The second half certainly had more chances, for both sides. They had a handful, most memorably when Wells looked certain to score from a low cross but missed the ball, and right at the end when Ali made a great save from a header. But before that we also had Beerens going round the keeper and hitting side netting when he should have shot early, an attempt by Quinn which the keeper saved plus Kermy had a volley that went just wide and also had an overhead kick that landed in Row Z. Also created a few nice openings down the left towards the end with Harriott and Watson (who I thought looked very good) and even McShane twice beat his man skillfully only to misplace the pass. Also looked like Harriott was tripped and denied a clear penalty.

Obviously we have a lot of possession, and gradually we are learning how to use it most effectively, particularly going forward. Very impressed with what Stam has done so far, rejuvenated some uninspired players and brought a lot of young hungry ones that will only get better, and has a clear idea on how he wants them to play.

Something is building here, we have every reason to be optimistic. URZ

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 26 Sep 2016 22:37

CountryRoyal
Nameless Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

At a guess; commands respect and has brought in players he feels can implement his philosophy and style of play.

Added grit, determination and unity to the squad while setting realistic (or perhaps slightly low) expectations.

A very good guess I think.

And its interesting to watch the how the likes of Pearson and Di Matteo are struggling in comparison.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Sep 2016 22:41

RoyallyFcuked
CountryRoyal
Nameless Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

At a guess; commands respect and has brought in players he feels can implement his philosophy and style of play.

Added grit, determination and unity to the squad while setting realistic (or perhaps slightly low) expectations.

A very good guess I think.

And its interesting to watch the how the likes of Pearson and Di Matteo are struggling in comparison.

While this is all speculation I think they could be struggling with the egos at said clubs, especially the former.

That's something about us. It cetainly seems that we've got a really good group of grounded, level headed individuals who are willing to do everything the manager asks for them.

139 posts