BFTG - 'uddersfield

139 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - 'uddersfield

by Royal Ginger » 24 Sep 2016 20:33

ILoveMoonPig Going defensive with 30 minutes left was always going to invite pressure. How Wells didn't score at the back post is beyond me.

I'm surprised to see you suggest that they went Defensive. With 2 minutes left I distinctly remember the CB deciding he was a winger. There was no effort to retain the ball, I thought they were going for another goal right up to the whistle.

On McShane, he's clearly been doing some one on one training to get him to be more of a ball player. Something must have clicked because he's night and day with it at his feet compared to a couple of games ago.

Enjoyed it today but spent whole of half time queueing on the concourse. The agency staff need better supervision.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Sep 2016 20:35

sandman Swift was unlucky not to score but he didn't do a whole lot other than that, he's my favourite player in this team and I've liked him since I first saw him at the Swindon game in pre-season. I guess I just expect higher standards from him than the others. I know Williams is the HNA? escapegoat this year but he was fine today. I'm not as enamoured by Joey as most of you, I think he's an accident waiting to happen, but he gave the team balance today and we went to shit when he came off.

Exactly my assessment too. Joey is really growing on me and was definitely my MOTM today.

Well done to Huddersfield, they made it very nervy. Didn't feel like we were playing against 10 and I think we could have done better at controlling the match. Harriott was too narrow in the first half but it's great to have a winger who can beat defenders for pace. Obita still can't defend. McShane still can't pass.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Sep 2016 20:35

Pepe the Horseman Hands up if you thought we'd be above Newcastle after nine games.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 24 Sep 2016 20:36

Are Newcastle back in the Championship? Looking forward to those games

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Sep 2016 20:42

CountryRoyal
RG7Fan Newcastle - not played

:?

Just because we got dicked and not that many people went doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Yes - my mistake ... it was a 4-1 dicking away. But I think my point still stands. We have played some hard games this year and come off ok.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Sep 2016 20:45

AthleticoSpizz Great to see Kermy still being a massive part of our upwards trajectory

Just a goal or two to seal the deal for (the so far) player of the season

That said, he is having a touch of the Williamses - needs to pass the ball before it gets taken from him (at least 3 times today?).

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 24 Sep 2016 20:53

Good to see Tish did his bit to keep us 4th.

Given our opponents so far this season, we have had a very good start.
In our 9 games we've played 6 of the top 8. Given we are one of those, the only ones we haven't played yet are Norwich.
And Tuesday we play Brentford - currently 9th.

As for today, not a classic, but 3 points. Their 10 looked worthy of getting a point in the 2nd half. I can see Huddersfield being there or thereabouts on play if they can sort out their discipline.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Sep 2016 20:56

genome
Westwood52 Moore & McShane 5

Ridiculous rating considering we didn't actually concede...

Yep, sometimes you wonder what these people spent their afternoon watching :P

Apparently, top of the table Huddersfield could "easily" have won when I thought the second half was all about them throwing the kitchen sink at us in a desperate attempt to snatch a draw, with the likes of McShane and Moore ensuring that never happened.

God knows what ratings they'll get when this mid table side, with the temerity to currently occupy 4th place, concedes to a side outside the play offs :|

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, this rapidly developing team is forgetting how to lose!

We went into this game against the top side in the division with 2 players under suspension having played the final halves of the last 2 games with 10 men.

To state the obvious, there must have been some tired legs out there today and most of them will have to do it all again at Brentford on Tuesday night. Added to this, our unsuspended left back picked up a first half yellow.

Had we really been anywhere close to "dire" in the second half we would not have beaten a very decent 10 man Huddersfield and our new manager deserves all available plaudits for managing the resources at his disposal to such great effect.

A fantastic performance by all involved.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2016 20:59

Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Sep 2016 21:00

RG7Fan
CountryRoyal
RG7Fan Newcastle - not played

:?

Just because we got dicked and not that many people went doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Yes - my mistake ... it was a 4-1 dicking away. But I think my point still stands. We have played some hard games this year and come off ok.

It was still a much better performance than Wolves.

Yeah I agree with you we've done more than ok. *waits for it to go horribly wrong

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Sep 2016 21:02

Nameless Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

At a guess; commands respect and has brought in players he feels can implement his philosophy and style of play.

Added grit, determination and unity to the squad while setting realistic (or perhaps slightly low) expectations.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Sep 2016 21:04

RG7Fan
AthleticoSpizz Great to see Kermy still being a massive part of our upwards trajectory

Just a goal or two to seal the deal for (the so far) player of the season

That said, he is having a touch of the Williamses - needs to pass the ball before it gets taken from him (at least 3 times today?).
cannot argue with that

But, nice to see his team performance in defence

Basically, the whole team are finally working as a team......never thought I'd see that again

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Sep 2016 21:09

Woodcote Royal
genome
Westwood52 Moore & McShane 5

Ridiculous rating considering we didn't actually concede...

Yep, sometimes you wonder what these people spent their afternoon watching :P

Apparently, top of the table Huddersfield could "easily" have won when I thought the second half was all about them throwing the kitchen sink at us in a desperate attempt to snatch a draw, with the likes of McShane and Moore ensuring that never happened.

God knows what ratings they'll get when this mid table side, with the temerity to currently occupy 4th place, concedes to a side outside the play offs :|

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, this rapidly developing team is forgetting how to lose!

We went into this game against the top side in the division with 2 players under suspension having played the final halves of the last 2 games with 10 men.

To state the obvious, there must have been some tired legs out there today and most of them will have to do it all again at Brentford on Tuesday night. Added to this, our unsuspended left back picked up a first half yellow.

Had we really been anywhere close to "dire" in the second half we would not have beaten a very decent 10 man Huddersfield and our new manager deserves all available plaudits for managing the resources at his disposal to such great effect.

A fantastic performance by all involved.

This.

12 weeks ago a lot of people on here were saying this was a year of rebuilding and not to expect much - fair comment based on the end of last season, the number of new players signed and new manager (so soon after the last). We are performing better than expected and watching is more enjoyable than last year (and we are winning, or at least not losing). Amen to that.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 24 Sep 2016 21:12

Royal Ginger
ILoveMoonPig Going defensive with 30 minutes left was always going to invite pressure. How Wells didn't score at the back post is beyond me.

I'm surprised to see you suggest that they went Defensive. With 2 minutes left I distinctly remember the CB deciding he was a winger. There was no effort to retain the ball, I thought they were going for another goal right up to the whistle.

On McShane, he's clearly been doing some one on one training to get him to be more of a ball player. Something must have clicked because he's night and day with it at his feet compared to a couple of games ago.

Enjoyed it today but spent whole of half time queueing on the concourse. The agency staff need better supervision.

Quite right of course. On reflection, you're right; we did keep attacking until the end, which is probably why it was so end to end.

It was good to see mcshane getting forward. Not many players can put in a shift at both ends in a single game.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 24 Sep 2016 21:16

Great result against a top side. You can see why Huddersfield were topping the table this morning. They have a winning quality about them. They put us under huge pressure in the second half and they did it with ten men. No one has done that to us at the Madejski this season with eleven men let alone ten. We got lucky today. We created
Little going forward but did enough. I was surprised that we had so much possession today according to BBC stats. It didn't feel like it. I was in the front row today due to bringing extra mates along and it's always difficult to read a game from the front row like you can from further back. I was wondering why we didn't have so much of the ball in the second half. It looked like Huddersfield put in one heck of an effort. They deserved more today. Van La Parra was stupid to get himself sent off.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Sep 2016 21:22

RG7Fan
royalp-we :lol:

Just beat top of the league. What a feeling around this squad right now. Boom

Yes, it's early... Yes, there are bigger teams out there... But for a turnaround in fortunes, how unexpected, eh?

Those who wanted ST refunds :lol: you're very quiet. You know who you are.

Are there? Out of the Top 7 we've had results so far:

Norwich - not played
Huddersfield - won
Brighton - draw
Newcastle - not played
Birmingham - draw
Barnsley - won (away with 10 men)

I'm happy with that

Yes, there are.

I'm happy too. What an absolutely great start to the season. Plenty of harder games still to come mind.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 24 Sep 2016 21:32

Royal Ginger

McShane's cheeky wingplay gave me a small reminder Ivar. He'd pop up all over the place unexpectedly over the years including (I think0 a cross for one of the goals in the Boro 3-2. Just had to check & it was for Sidwell's equaliser.

JIM

by JIM » 24 Sep 2016 21:45

UDDERSFIELD Learned a lesson. keep your mouth shut after a yellow card
ROYALs Proved a poiint, We can win with 10 men, and we can beat 10 men,
Keep it up ROYALS.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 24 Sep 2016 22:20

I thought it was great today. The first half hour was a bit cagey, but we were beginning to get into our stride before the red card and for the next 30 minutes were really dominant and a second goal would have been fair. Huddersfield then began to play and we grew nervous. The Evans substitution opened a hole in our defence and they threw everything at us or the final thirty minutes. We still had the better chances however and deserved the win - look at the BBC stats.

Al Habsi 7

Moore 8
van den Berg 9/Evans 6
McShane 8

Gunter 7
Harriot 7
Swift 8
Williams 8
Obita 6/Watson 7

Kermogant 7

I thought the ref got it just about right. It would have been one of the best red cards ever if he had given the second dissent yellow to their lad, and Gunter could have gone for the professional foul, but he probably got the decisions right.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 24 Sep 2016 22:26

[quote="RG7Fan"]

Newcastle - not played
[/quote]

Is that irony?

139 posts