Have a look at that form table, by the way:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ch ... guide.html

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - 'uddersfield

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2016 10:18

Sutekh
bobby1413
Royal Ginger Enjoyed it today but spent whole of half time queueing on the concourse. The agency staff need better supervision.

This has been going on years. What is it like as a home fan at bigger clubs?

How do Chelsea/Man United/Liverpool fans get served at half time? I don't know why it's so bad. It's hardly a shock is it... They don't suddenly get caught off guard as 6000 fans (or whatever) come at half time.

Maybe they should sell bottles or something? I went to the Olympic stadium (West Ham ground) over the summer for a rugby game (it was shit), but they had massive buckets everywhere with ice and bottles in where you just threw £4 at the person next to it and grabbed one. It took around 1 second to get your drink.

On a separate note I bought a beer at the bit outside the east stand and also a bottle of water. Water cost £2.10 - nearly had a heart attack.

Rugby fans apparently don't hurl bottles at each other (or players) during the game whereas football fans would do.

Loads of grounds serve bottles - they're just plastic.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Sep 2016 10:36

genome Have a look at that form table, by the way:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ch ... guide.html

Just look at Derby.
And some fans here thought Pearson was the man we should have gone for .....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Sep 2016 10:38

CountryRoyal
Loads of grounds serve [insert name of team here] fans - they're just plastic.

Corrected for you.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2016 10:39

I appreciate the massive part he has played in our history but BBCRB really should give it a miss with Kevin Dillon. He knows sod all about the Reading players, even less about the Championship, and just blathers on in meaningless, repetitive and ever decreasing circles.

Yesterday did take the biscuit for me. Jolly pleased to hear we had beaten the League leaders I expected some real positivity from the reports on BBCRB.

As I climbed in the car Mick and Tim were commenting on excellent 3 points but disappointed with how we made life difficult for ourselves with poor ball retention in the last 10 minutes... something to learn from / work on. Fair enough.

Over to Dillon - he said he was very impressed by Huddersfield but that it was "an exceptionally poor performance" from Reading. Very disappointed. Had expected to see something good from this team but it was much worse than when he'd seen us against Cardiff, Preston and Ipswich....

Doubt he'd have had a clue that yesterday's League table had Huddersfield top.... Cardiff bottom.

Miserable sod. BBCRB should invite him to study the League a bit, get some knowledge, engage brain, cheer up or it's thanks and goodbye.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Sep 2016 10:55

CountryRoyal
Nameless Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

At a guess; commands respect and has brought in players he feels can implement his philosophy and style of play.

Added grit, determination and unity to the squad while setting realistic (or perhaps slightly low) expectations.

It's early days but there's a few factors for me.

Stam's advantages:
He played under the best manager's out there and is clearly thoughtful, determined and patient. He isn't trying to jump to high too fast.

Adkins was crippled by a dodgy owner and fooked finances.

Clarke was just a terrible manager with delusions of grandeur.

McDermott was left with a massive mess and limited support from owners who apparently never really bought into his employment... otherwise he'd still be here.

Stam's made two absolutely outstanding signings in Moore and Swift who have transformed the team. Without them, we'd be far less capable of implementing Stam's ideas. They'll both be in the PL within two seasons with us or without us IMO.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Sep 2016 11:11

CountryRoyal Loads of grounds serve bottles - they're just plastic.

Yep, Fulham for instance, and I think QPR do as well. To me it is an obvious and easy solution to the ridiculous queues in the ONE single place in the East stand concourse for an alcoholic drink.

Could have staff walking around and serving like they used to with the beer back-pack guys.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Sep 2016 11:13

Top post IH. The ED Stand gets some grief but it really does provide an excellent view. Sat in the lower rows of Y23 for the MK Dons game, and while I enjoyed the different view, it doesn't provide the same perspective of what's going on all across the pitch.

Decent football is creating more atmosphere again throughout the ground and agree that the away fans were great. Huddersfield were good and you can see why they are at the top. They probably need another striker though. Wells is a good goal scorer but he needed better support (when they had 11 on the pitch). Mooy was excellent. Their No 9 was a whinging, diving awful modern type of footballer.

Opposition teams are going to have to press us high up the pitch, and in numbers, if they want to beat us at the Mad Stad this year.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Sep 2016 11:15

Ian Royal
CountryRoyal
Nameless Anyone care to suggest what it is that has allowed Stam (untried, inexperienced in this county and league) to look like he knows what he is doing when recent managers with more experience have struggled ?
Beginners luck ?

At a guess; commands respect and has brought in players he feels can implement his philosophy and style of play.

Added grit, determination and unity to the squad while setting realistic (or perhaps slightly low) expectations.

It's early days but there's a few factors for me.

Stam's advantages:
He played under the best manager's out there and is clearly thoughtful, determined and patient. He isn't trying to jump to high too fast.

Adkins was crippled by a dodgy owner and fooked finances.

Clarke was just a terrible manager with delusions of grandeur.

McDermott was left with a massive mess and limited support from owners who apparently never really bought into his employment... otherwise he'd still be here.

Stam's made two absolutely outstanding signings in Moore and Swift who have transformed the team. Without them, we'd be far less capable of implementing Stam's ideas. They'll both be in the PL within two seasons with us or without us IMO.

Not convinced Swift is there yet... He's done some good things and clearly has ability but I don't think he's put in a full 90 minute shift or run a game yet. I'd even suggest that so far Moore and Joey look the key signings with Beerens and Swift ones we should be expecting great things from as the season develops and we see the system working better. With Joey and Moore we had the solidity that will allow the flair players to play.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Sep 2016 11:20

Royal Rother I appreciate the massive part he has played in our history but BBCRB really should give it a miss with Kevin Dillon. He knows sod all about the Reading players, even less about the Championship, and just blathers on in meaningless, repetitive and ever decreasing circles.

Yesterday did take the biscuit for me. Jolly pleased to hear we had beaten the League leaders I expected some real positivity from the reports on BBCRB.

As I climbed in the car Mick and Tim were commenting on excellent 3 points but disappointed with how we made life difficult for ourselves with poor ball retention in the last 10 minutes... something to learn from / work on. Fair enough.

Over to Dillon - he said he was very impressed by Huddersfield but that it was "an exceptionally poor performance" from Reading. Very disappointed. Had expected to see something good from this team but it was much worse than when he'd seen us against Cardiff, Preston and Ipswich....

Doubt he'd have had a clue that yesterday's League table had Huddersfield top.... Cardiff bottom.

Miserable sod. BBCRB should invite him to study the League a bit, get some knowledge, engage brain, cheer up or it's thanks and goodbye.

+1. Couldn't understand his vitriol, especially as he quoted Birmingham as being a much better performance. Go figure. I'd rather watch yesterday's exciting 1-0 victory with end to end action, than 70% possession 0-0 draw.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2016 11:41

bobby1413
CountryRoyal Loads of grounds serve bottles - they're just plastic.

Yep, Fulham for instance, and I think QPR do as well. To me it is an obvious and easy solution to the ridiculous queues in the ONE single place in the East stand concourse for an alcoholic drink.

Could have staff walking around and serving like they used to with the beer back-pack guys.

Wolves, Newcastle, Barnsley all bottles this season.

Tbh though I don't think it makes a difference at the football as they normally pre-poor a bunch of pints anyway. The problems arise when people get multiple things, need change..etc

Football is also different to Rugby as there is a greater rush at half time to get booze as you can't drink in the stands.

Just to add I don't know really know what the queues are like INSIDE the concourse in the East. I always go outside to the Heineken stand these days.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 25 Sep 2016 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 25 Sep 2016 11:41

Royal Rother I appreciate the massive part he has played in our history but BBCRB really should give it a miss with Kevin Dillon. He knows sod all about the Reading players, even less about the Championship, and just blathers on in meaningless, repetitive and ever decreasing circles.

Agree Dillon came across yesterday (throughout the game) as bitter and negative. He did lightened up a little after meeting Jaap post match but up until then, throughout yesterday's game and during games before he's been negative about Stam's possession philosophy. Williams, Kevin Dillon and Gooding all have memorable history for most of us, but media trained slick radio professionals they are not, they're all pretty gash tbh. I have to listen to games online due to location and the BBCberks sports team, pre match, match commentary and post match is a pretty poor showing all round.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Sep 2016 11:45

Williams is the worst kind of presenter, only looking to stir up controversy and create an argument.

Dellor's just too emotionally invested and happy to be 'in' with the players, staff and ex-players. Fans don't make good commentators or pundits.

Gooding is far and away the best, but even he's only decent by any reasonable expectation of what you should be getting.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2016 11:50

Can still get 66/1 on us winning the league :wink: Brighton, on the same points as us, are 7/1

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2016 11:53

Pepe the Horseman Can still get 66/1 on us winning the league :wink: Brighton, on the same points as us, are 7/1

No no no. Please no. Everyone lumped on after we beat top of the table at home 1-0 last season and we all know how that turned out.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2016 11:58

Ian Royal Williams is the worst kind of presenter, only looking to stir up controversy and create an argument.

Dellor's just too emotionally invested and happy to be 'in' with the players, staff and ex-players. Fans don't make good commentators or pundits.

Gooding is far and away the best, but even he's only decent by any reasonable expectation of what you should be getting.

I have absolutely no problem with any of them. I think people just like to complain because they don't have anything better to do.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Sep 2016 12:02

What happened to Beerans in the last 20 minutes of the game? Shame all the subs had been used. As a fresh pair of legs would have given us an outlet.

Though Harriott deserved his starting place in the team. Extremely raw but has the ability to beat players with pace. An exciting prospect as the season unfolds.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 25 Sep 2016 12:09

^^^^^lovely stuff from Herring

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Sep 2016 12:15

3points

+1. Couldn't understand his vitriol, especially as he quoted Birmingham as being a much better performance. Go figure. I'd rather watch yesterday's exciting 1-0 victory with end to end action, than 70% possession 0-0 draw.

What peed me off most about Dillon yesterday was his insistence that the 'ref changed the game'. No he did not! The idiotic Huddersfield player changed the game. Virtually every ref would have sent him off for that behaviour. You cannot blatantly refuse to go and talk to the ref when he calls you over. It was clear that the ref was desperate to keep him on the pitch despite the fact he had displayed clear dissent having picked up his first yellow only a few minutes earlier. The ref's cards were still in his pocket and he was showing no sign of going for them. The way I saw it, he was merely going to give the player a final warning. However, the player deliberately turned his back on him and kept walking away. Even then the ref walked after him, trying to call him back. Only when the player kept walking away did the ref eventually shrug his shoulders, clearly indicating he had been left with no choice, and reach for his pocket. If Wagner had any sense he will fine the player heavily.

Dillon also criticised the ref for going out of his way to indicate to Wells and, in Dillon's opinion, the crowd, why he wasn't sending Gunter off. Isn't that a good thing? Doesn't it help the crowd to know why the officials have made a decision, even if in our opinion they have got it wrong (I thought he was wrong to award the freekick in the first place).

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2016 12:18

Have no problem with the other former players but God knows what it must have been like having Dillon as Coppell's number no2 as we stormed to 106pts and our first promotion to the top flight.

I'm guessing the likes of Wally and Blakey helped them all to deal with the permanently miserable Mackem :P

139 posts