Away fans that surprised you

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Away fans that surprised you

by Forbury Lion » 26 Sep 2016 12:30

Tony Le Mesmer I was quite surprised when Bristol City quite literally raped Elm Park in 84. They tore the place a new one.

This makes a good read if you are interested, you search the word Bristol on the page "The Bristol City
game is only about the third time I have seen the Police lose control
in a decade of watching games, and it's the only time I've seen
policemen being beaten up - it's a rare occurance." :shock:

http://www.readings-only-newspaper.org/ ... -05-27.txt

At the recent infamous Reading V Bristol City game, City
brought about 2-3,000 fans with them. These fans were all paying a
minimum of £2 to get in
Even at 1984 prices, £2 sounds cheap!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Sep 2016 12:31

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Sep 2016 18:50

tidus_mi2 The Cardiff one definitely happened, think it was the 1-1 where they scored what seemed like a late winner, only for us to get an even later equaliser through Federici.

Duberry wound them up big time that day.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Sep 2016 18:59

Spurs at our place on our first season up. Must have been just under ten minutes to go and the away end was less than half full.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 26 Sep 2016 19:06

Who cares about the away fans?

We have the best support in the league!!!!11!1!!111!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2016 19:36

I'm always surprised that West Ham have a bunch of fans who bang on about their Academy of Beautiful Cultured Football, whilst simultaneously being the most working class knuckledragging thicko neanderthal scum and then all singing along to some lame arse stupid trite song piped in over the tannoy whilst a children's bubblemaker sprays everywhere.

Talk about incongruous.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 26 Sep 2016 20:04

Surprised at Everton getting a mention for another reason, I was surprised that they bought down 4000 for a League Cup game against us, never saw them as a club with large numbers

Never met a West Ham fan that I haven't hated, ranging from 'celebs' like Brand and Corden to various 'fans' at school who never once set foot in Upton Park and contributed nothing to any football discussion

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Sep 2016 20:22

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Surprised at Everton getting a mention for another reason, I was surprised that they bought down 4000 for a League Cup game against us, never saw them as a club with large numbers

Never met a West Ham fan that I haven't hated, ranging from 'celebs' like Brand and Corden to various 'fans' at school who never once set foot in Upton Park and contributed nothing to any football discussion

There's a lot of scousers in London and the southeast.

Telling everyone liverpools the greatest place on earth.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Sep 2016 21:11

Ian Royal I'm always surprised that West Ham have a bunch of fans who bang on about their Academy of Beautiful Cultured Football, whilst simultaneously being the most working class knuckledragging thicko neanderthal scum and then all singing along to some lame arse stupid trite song piped in over the tannoy whilst a children's bubblemaker sprays everywhere.

Talk about incongruous.

There such good fans mate what are you talking about. It's not like the away end was left with about 500 people by the end of the 3-0 sockgate in 11/12.

Oh wait.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 26 Sep 2016 21:22

For me it's always been Wealdstone's psychotic turn out at Elm Park in the FA Cup back in the late 80s.

They were at it that day - in and out of the ground.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Sep 2016 22:11

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal I'm always surprised that West Ham have a bunch of fans who bang on about their Academy of Beautiful Cultured Football, whilst simultaneously being the most working class knuckledragging thicko neanderthal scum and then all singing along to some lame arse stupid trite song piped in over the tannoy whilst a children's bubblemaker sprays everywhere.

Talk about incongruous.

There such good fans mate what are you talking about. It's not like the away end was left with about 500 people by the end of the 3-0 sockgate in 11/12.

Oh wait.

I still remember the 6-0 thrashing we dished out and the away end started emptying after 30 minutes.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 26 Sep 2016 22:41

Forbury Lion
Tony Le Mesmer I was quite surprised when Bristol City quite literally raped Elm Park in 84. They tore the place a new one.

This makes a good read if you are interested, you search the word Bristol on the page "The Bristol City
game is only about the third time I have seen the Police lose control
in a decade of watching games, and it's the only time I've seen
policemen being beaten up - it's a rare occurance." :shock:

http://www.readings-only-newspaper.org/ ... -05-27.txt

At the recent infamous Reading V Bristol City game, City
brought about 2-3,000 fans with them. These fans were all paying a
minimum of £2 to get in
Even at 1984 prices, £2 sounds cheap!

Bristol City away - May 1985. Gilkes' first goal for the club. Won 3-2. Police Horses basically stopped us from getting a hiding inside the ground. Did a lot of running after we got out of Ashton Gate.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 26 Sep 2016 22:43

Realise /\ is slightly off topic but they weren't just nutters away in the 80's.

mx

by mx » 26 Sep 2016 23:03

From Despair To Where? Always found Sunderland fans hugely disappointing both home and away, just so quick to let their heads drop.

To be fair, there was that Mackem at Elm Park who leapt over the fence and "scored" when our keeper was taking a goal kick, when they were 4-0 down. "4-1 to the blue and whites".

well, I thought it was funny. You probably had to be there.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 27 Sep 2016 06:57

I was very surprised by our support at Wolves this season, not one single chant even attempted.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Sep 2016 07:23

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Surprised at Everton getting a mention for another reason, I was surprised that they bought down 4000 for a League Cup game against us, never saw them as a club with large numbers

They're a big club so I wasn't surprised. But I don't think that many "came down" for it. I believe that due to the non existent atmosphere and no songs in their end. So as a result had just assumed most lived down South or were non regular's to the game.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Sep 2016 08:44

WAZZOCK I was very surprised by our support at Wolves this season, not one single chant even attempted.

Probably too scared to do so

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Sep 2016 10:45

Birmingham.....Big Club......Big City.......Rubbish Fans.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Sep 2016 10:58

I was walking down the Oxford Road once after a game and several Portsmouth fans ran out from a side road and started kicking me in the back and legs. I found this somewhat surprising as I was merely minding my own business at the time.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Sep 2016 12:22

WAZZOCK I was very surprised by our support at Wolves this season, not one single chant even attempted.

Wrong.

I started Blue army for a bit in the second half in which only 2 people joined in. So you probably couldn't hear it over the hundreds of moans and shouts of "forwards" and "ffs reading".