Away fans that surprised you

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Away fans that surprised you

by handbags_harris » 27 Sep 2016 12:45

mx
From Despair To Where? Always found Sunderland fans hugely disappointing both home and away, just so quick to let their heads drop.

To be fair, there was that Mackem at Elm Park who leapt over the fence and "scored" when our keeper was taking a goal kick, when they were 4-0 down. "4-1 to the blue and whites".

well, I thought it was funny. You probably had to be there.

Plenty of chuckles on the South Bank that day. Almost forgotten in the mists of time that incident, probably because we beat Sunderland 4-0 with a side that was punching at least two divisions above its weight...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2016 18:34

handbags_harris
mx
From Despair To Where? Always found Sunderland fans hugely disappointing both home and away, just so quick to let their heads drop.

To be fair, there was that Mackem at Elm Park who leapt over the fence and "scored" when our keeper was taking a goal kick, when they were 4-0 down. "4-1 to the blue and whites".

Plenty of chuckles on the South Bank that day. Almost forgotten in the mists of time that incident, probably because we beat Sunderland 4-0 with a side that was punching at least two divisions above its weight...

Carl Asaba looked good that day iirc. It all went a little to shit later in the season though didn't it. Tommy oxf*rd Burns and his 'Magnificent' Seven as a follow on to Terry the Taxi. :roll:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Sep 2016 12:32

Ian Royal
handbags_harris
mx

Carl Asaba looked good that day iirc. It all went a little to shit later in the season though didn't it. Tommy oxf*rd Burns and his 'Magnificent' Seven as a follow on to Terry the Taxi. :roll:

Asaba scored twice in the first half and ran Sunderland ragged. It all started going wrong after Christmas but the warning signs were there. Just watch the highlights on Youtube of our home match against WBA on Boxing Day, we won the match but the series of chances WBA created that day was a serious cause for concern, mainly because almost every team did it!!

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 28 Sep 2016 16:07

bobby1413 Changed thread title so that fans that surprised you for the better can be included. I agree, thought Huddersfield were really good Saturday - I know their top of the league (or were), but I just felt they were good anyway and louder than I expected. A good turnout too.

I was in the Huddersfield home end one saturday as I was at a loose end in the area for work, they have a kind of mini ultras set up in their home end which might help them make more noise away.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2016 20:29

handbags_harris
Ian Royal
handbags_harris

Asaba scored twice in the first half and ran Sunderland ragged. It all started going wrong after Christmas but the warning signs were there. Just watch the highlights on Youtube of our home match against WBA on Boxing Day, we won the match but the series of chances WBA created that day was a serious cause for concern, mainly because almost every team did it!!

Bernal got sent off didn't he? Or was that another Elm Park Boxing Day game against West Brom? Assuming it's the very same, given I never ever attend matches, HNA regulars will be shocked to know I was at both that and the Sunderland thrashing.

I recall getting very upset with Paul Peskysolido, I believe he was with Karen Brady at the time and there were a number of mentions of her from the South Bank.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Sep 2016 10:53

Ian Royal
handbags_harris
mx

Always feel Tommy gets unfair criticism for those 7. He was appointed 48 hours before the end of deadline day and knew what he had wasn't good enough so had to move quick in the market. As a result he was limited to players he knew were available and could get in, in that time, and that were within whatever JM would let him spend. Consequently some were less than "effective".

Of those brought in Howie was OK, Kelly was outstanding but we only could get him on loan, McIntyre had turned out to be decent player by the end of his contract. Fleck was a worthwhile chance given his previous.

The other 3 (Brayson, Gray and Crawford) are the ones that perhaps he should not have brought in but I guess he felt he needed cover in some areas as much as anything and when you're working to a deadline your hands are very much tied with what you can get from the market and what you can get it for.

Very sadly for us it was the start of the period of signing quantity not quality and for every Casper or Brebner we'd sign there'd be 2 or 3 Saar's, Kromheer's or sick notes...