The King of Thailand

108 posts
oldebiscuit

The King of Thailand

by oldebiscuit » 17 Oct 2016 22:11

So King Bhumibol of Thailand has died after a very lengthy reign, and until a couple of days ago i had never heard of him, and quite happy to spend the rest of my life having not known of him, along with just about every one in the UK including us folk in Berkshire.
King Bum had absolutely no interest in the Uk or the town of Reading let alone Reading Football Club, and we the fans have absolutely no interest in the Thai Royal Family.........So why the oxf*rd are we affording a 'Minutes Silence' to this deceased non entity before the Villa game?
This is an example of so much that is wrong with modern day Football clubs and we the fans need to stop playing along with these idiots that run these shows. They are taking us for idiots. Last weekends fixture between Chelsea and Leicester saw the Foxes wearing black armbands for this same dead King and Chelsea also wore black armbands for someones Mum that had died! Someones Mum FFS?
Lets be honest, it would be more appropriate to hold a minutes silence for the one eyed King Harold, on the 950th anniversary of his death at the Battle of Hastings.
Enough is enough i think, and though i would not condone disrespect, Tuesday i shall just carry on as normal ignoring this poncy one minutes silence and hope that more of you join me.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The King of Thailand

by The Prisoner » 17 Oct 2016 22:51

Grumpy.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Oct 2016 23:11

Disrespectful to our Thai overlords.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Oct 2016 23:20

oldebiscuit So King Bhumibol of Thailand has died after a very lengthy reign, and until a couple of days ago i had never heard of him, and quite happy to spend the rest of my life having not known of him, along with just about every one in the UK including us folk in Berkshire.
King Bum had absolutely no interest in the Uk or the town of Reading let alone Reading Football Club, and we the fans have absolutely no interest in the Thai Royal Family.........So why the oxf*rd are we affording a 'Minutes Silence' to this deceased non entity before the Villa game?
This is an example of so much that is wrong with modern day Football clubs and we the fans need to stop playing along with these idiots that run these shows. They are taking us for idiots. Last weekends fixture between Chelsea and Leicester saw the Foxes wearing black armbands for this same dead King and Chelsea also wore black armbands for someones Mum that had died! Someones Mum FFS?
Lets be honest, it would be more appropriate to hold a minutes silence for the one eyed King Harold, on the 950th anniversary of his death at the Battle of Hastings.
Enough is enough i think, and though i would not condone disrespect, Tuesday i shall just carry on as normal ignoring this poncy one minutes silence and hope that more of you join me.

What a silly, childish overreaction.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 17 Oct 2016 23:35

Ian Royal
oldebiscuit So King Bhumibol of Thailand has died after a very lengthy reign, and until a couple of days ago i had never heard of him, and quite happy to spend the rest of my life having not known of him, along with just about every one in the UK including us folk in Berkshire.

What a silly, childish overreaction.

tbf you can't watch a game without some cloying, mawkish, scouse style, over-sentimentality

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Oct 2016 23:36

oldebiscuit Tuesday i shall just carry on as normal ignoring this poncy one minutes silence and hope that more of you join me.

What do you intend to do while ignoring it?

I actually agree that it does seem a bit unusual, given that only a very small % in the stadium will have heard of him, and does risk making the owners look completely out of touch with the fans.

I do hope it's respected though (I worry more about the Villa fans than our lot) as any disrespect will go down unbelievably badly out there.

As for the "they wouldn't do the same thing the other way round" angle, maybe that's true. On the other hand I was out there shortly after Gary Speed died, and they even had a minute's silence before games for his death.

Overall though, it's just a minute of silence. We usually manage nearly 90 without too much effort.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Oct 2016 23:54

It's culturally important to the people who own the club, they do things differently. They're using what they have to demonstrate their profound sorrow, we the fans are just tools. The club is their thing, I'm a guest in their stadium so will be respectful.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 17 Oct 2016 23:57

In agree and will stay drinking in the concourse until it's over

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 18 Oct 2016 00:15

oldebiscuit So why the oxf*rd are we affording a 'Minutes Silence' to this deceased non entity before the Villa game?

Calling the (previously) longest reigning monarch in the world a "deceased non entity" is a bit rich, olde b. I suggest we've had many minutes' silences for far greater non-entities. Best to show a bit of respect, I reckon.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Oct 2016 00:20

And why are we not doing the same for Hilda Ogden I ask myself

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Oct 2016 00:38

I think it is an example of everything that is wrong with modern life that some one spends 2 minutes complaining about being asked for 60 seconds of their time....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Oct 2016 04:04

Nothing on the O/S about a minute's silence

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 18 Oct 2016 08:05

You could use the minutes' silence for your own personal reflections instead.

Whenever there is a silence for someone I didn't know much about, I always make sure I think of others I've lost during that time as well.
Last edited by MoorgateRoyal on 18 Oct 2016 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Oct 2016 09:04

I hope the OP spends the minute silently fuming about this, that'll show them

also, agreed that never having heard of the world's longest serving monarch is just a bit ignorant

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Oct 2016 09:25

When* the Queen dies this country will inevitably have an outpouring of grief. It's probably on the same level for the Thais. I've no problem with it.

You could always mourn Denny Fulbrook, or that poor lad who died of cancer the other week, if it suits you better

Sometimes I feel people go actively looking for things to complain about

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Oct 2016 09:34

MoorgateRoyal You could use the minutes' silence for your own personal reflections instead.

Whenever there is a silence for someone I didn't know much about, I always make sure I think of others I've lost during that time as well.

This.

The club is Thai owned and it's of huge significance to them. I see no issue here.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Oct 2016 09:35

If there's a minute silence I'll respect it, at the end of the day, as long as we're not honouring someone undeserving then I can stand in silence for a minute.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Oct 2016 09:44

I love a minutes silence I do.
theres something wonderful about thousands of people all standing in complete silence
id have one before every game if it was up to me

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Oct 2016 09:45

also- lol at bummi-boil

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 18 Oct 2016 10:44

my mins silence usually runs along the lines of:

<respect...sexual fantasy......sexual fantasy....sexual fantasy....dinner options....respect>

108 posts