MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by a Terry Bell own goal

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by a Terry Bell own goal

by CountryRoyal » 18 Oct 2016 22:06

Disappointed to get beaten at home but let's not get too upset. We are a mid table side.

We move on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Oct 2016 22:06

Lmao have Villa won the league?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Oct 2016 22:09

Been to over 500 Reading games and today was the first time I've left before the final whistle.

Play for a draw against a team 14 months winless on the road and you deserve to lose.

The least inspiring football I've seen from a Reading side. It's just boring.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 18 Oct 2016 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 18 Oct 2016 22:13

Royal_jimmy No subs til the 90th minute. Stam you have a lot to answer for!

Time for a change, The slide continues, is arry still free?. I heared that Adie might have been interested last time, what about bringing back Sanchez?, got to be better than this ticky tappy pass it backy sh$te, this cant be allowed to carry on.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 18 Oct 2016 22:14

CountryRoyal Disappointed to get beaten at home but let's not get too upset. We are a mid table side.

We move on.

And down.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 18 Oct 2016 22:17

Knew we were going to lose.....Villa's away record made it certain. As we all know it is the 'Reading way'..... :|

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 18 Oct 2016 22:35

Sad that the unbeaten home record is gone but its not really a surprise, we just don't do enough with the possession we have.

It's a work in progress I know, but we can only get so far with the team like this, it was a let down in the summer that we did everything right except get the striker we needed. Kermie works hard but he's not a goalscorer, that's what we need, someone who gets in positions to score and puts it away, we don't have anyone who does that enough.

We just don't have enough goals in the team, McCleary doesnt score enough and neither does Beerens it seems. Both would contribute more though with the right player in the middle up top.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 18 Oct 2016 22:39

Congratulations to Villa for winning the league, the cup final and the eurovision song conttest tonight. the way they celebrated it cetainly seemed like it.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 18 Oct 2016 22:48

Emperor's new clothes.
Well I'll be the kid that sees.
Absolute shite. How much longer must we endure the Fvck around at the back stage.
OK - We're still in transition but I personally don't want to pay for yet another school boy training session.
Tedious. Tedious. Tedious.

Villa were by far the worst team I've seen for many a year and yet.........

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 18 Oct 2016 22:57

A case of 2 managers. 1 makes 3 positive substitutions to try and win the game the other makes none till it's too late trying to hang on to what we had. Why did the ineffective Beerens stay on for the whole game with Harriott on the bench and no sign of Samuels even at the end to try and snatch something late on? Yet another game I think we could have won had we been more positive

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Oct 2016 22:59

P!ssed Off Been to over 500 Reading games and today was the first time I've left before the final whistle.

Play for a draw against a team 14 months winless on the road and you deserve to lose.

The least inspiring football I've seen from a Reading side. It's just boring.

Have to agree watched Reading for 55 years non stop and its the first time I feel like not going. I hate this way of playing - this patient build up, living on scraps up front mainly trying to avoid defeat. It may be the Dutch way but I wonder what crowds they get?

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 18 Oct 2016 23:19

Oh the inevitability of it all. Should have put a bet on it. Villa should really be tearing it up with the foward options they have but defensively they were shoddy, full of panicky miskicks.

Moving on to reading, even at 1 1 there was a clear sense we didn't have the guile for a winner. We have a strong midfield but our forward options are frighteningly poor. I think we needed two more in top of what we have up front which havent arrived. Mendes was clearly a make piece signing and meite unfortunate though he has been with injury is very unknown. I feel for samuel but surely has lack of game Time indicates he is simply not near claiming a start?.

Whilst defensively we have looked 'sound', in recent weeks the three at the back and combination of possession football has really caused problems. So many times we have been done with balls over the top, Brentford away particularly.

I have no problem with the fact it's a work in progress, no way are we top 8, i do worry though the slide appears to be happening again at the same time as last year. We have got some interesting players in, but in all honesty i worry about the the lack of championship experience when we have gone trawling for out of contract overseas players. The lack of credible options on the bench is a tad frightening. Evans is growing into the role but i remain unconvinced we have a settled formation or team. I can be on board with the possesion but surely when we pick a long ball to ping down the middle it goes against it all? Surely a pressing game passing is far better? Its as if we have fudged it a little and now have got a bit found out. Its not disasterous but it all seems a confused make up and only a hairs breadth at times of going pretty wrong.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Oct 2016 23:20

Absolutely woeful but predictable of Reading to gift three points to a team who weren't just bang out of form away from home but hadn't won away for 14 months.

Slow and ponderous possession play that will please nobody except the manager. A manager whose inexplicable refusal to make a sub until injury time showed just how inexperienced and out of his depth he is against any manager with even a small bit of know how. The football is boring and negative with very little if any point to the masses of possession which is mainly in areas where we were never going to hurt the opposition.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Oct 2016 23:34

We lost to a terrible Villa side because of one man only.. Jaap Stam. It was clear in many players that there was fatigue yet he astonishingly decides not to make a sub until the last minute to bring on any fresh legs. Disgraceful really but he will learn from it.

Moore, Gunter, Beerens, Blackett and Swift were all very poor. Williams and McCleary were decent and the rest were no better than average

Embarrassing giving those tossheads their first away win in over a year. I am angry that Stan showed no ambition going for the win against a rubbish team with no away win in over a year. You can't just play for a draw or you get what you deserve.. Nothing

PS can we actually spend 2 or 3 million on a striker who makes runs into the box off Kermits flicks and headers in the transfer window and not some cheap pcunt from Lithuania
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 18 Oct 2016 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Oct 2016 23:38

People still clinging to the belief that the Stamp era is somehow different to the Rogers/Adkins/Clarke dross?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Oct 2016 23:48

Probably the best away support I've seen at the Mad Stad.

Tuesday night. Sh*t football team. Incredible supporters.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 19 Oct 2016 00:33

This was a game where I would have taken a point before KO.

Villa's travelling support were brilliant considering this was a week day game and the rubbish they have had to put up with over the last year or so.

Stam has got it right for the majority of our games this season tactically but tonight he was very very naive to think we would be ok without making any subs until the 86th min. If we bring on some legs in midfield, we don't get exposed in the build up to the penalty as we did. I would go as far as saying he lost us the game tonight. Liam Kelly has proved in the EFL (particularly against Brighton) that he is more than capable of holding his own both technically and physically and Stam needs to have more confidence in him for league games.

Positives - Kermorgant getting a much needed goal at home and Blackett recovered well after a shaky start and seemed to offer something going forward.

Van Den Berg - Looking more like his usual self and actually looks more comfortable at centre back!

Negatives - Beerens played a great pass for the penalty but other than that he went hiding once again, I think its time Harriot got his opportunity as it is clear Roy is getting far too comfortable with some of his performances of late.

Gunter - He tries ... an athlete in a team trying to play a passing game, offers a few good tackles but other than that his passes across the back and crosses that fail to beat the first man offer nothing to us as a team. Would say Watson is far more capable technically for our style and very confident he will regularly feature for us in the next season or so. Gunter is someone IMO who could easily be replaced by someone at half the price who would offer much more both defensively and going forward.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2016 01:39

Most observers view a football pitch in thirds and, given the huge turnover in playing staff, we have performed well in the first two this season yet remain woefully impotent in the last.

As someone who has largely supported Stam's new broom, this evening I reached the end of my tether............................there are only so many performances of Ground Hog Day that the heart and sole can endure and, frankly, I don't give a fcuk when the next home game takes place, to protect my sanity I will be giving it a miss :evil:

The final straw arrived when, having taken 38 minutes to give the Villa 'keeper anything to do bar re-distribute the ball and refusing to make any changes in an attempt to look more like the home team than our far more threatening opponents, we bring on an over weight defender in exchange for an accomplished midfielder as we go in desperate search of an injury time equaliser :evil: :evil:

If I were Samuels, I'd be handing in a transfer request first thing tomorrow morning.

Kermorgant has many attributes, not least his work rate and aerial ability but we are as blunt as fcuk with him up top and his goal tonight will just give Stam the excuse he needs to continue ignoring the alternatives.

We signed some fantastic talent this summer but unless someone can retrieve the plot from whichever bin Stam dumped it, we are going nowhere.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Oct 2016 05:50

This club were said to have signed some fantastic talent last summer as well.
Good idea, put in a transfer request, when you can't move till the window, or perhaps he has and it is why he isn't playing.
Football is oxf*rd, money has oxf*rd it, or pay to play as Warnock thinks is the way forward

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 19 Oct 2016 07:21

Aaaaagh.....NOBODY IN THE BOX