Fair play to the club

148 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Fair play to the club

by Greatwesternline » 30 Oct 2016 01:48

1) Anyone invoking the concept of a "grass" really hasn't developed since they were 15.
2) As the famous but ultimately unattributed quote goes, "for evil to succeed, it is only necessary for good men to do nothing".
3) This example of chanting may not be evil, but if you just ignored stuff for fear of being a "grass" you'd be a fairly weak soul.
4) The supposed chant compares our goalkeeper who we are supposed to be supporting to an entity the UK is at war with, because he is Muslim and so are they. How that can be deemed as anything other than racist escapes me. I'd love to hear an explanation that disproves this.
5) If you are worried about being banned as a fan as a result of "a bit of banter" i'd suggest you've just been introduced to real life where the stuff you do actually has consequences, rather than just a telling off from your head of year at school.
6) Get behind the players, cheer them on because they're much better than you at football and they're offering their services to Reading, don't come up with some seriously uninspired half baked ISIS song because its the only thing you've heard this week at school.
7) If your culpable for this and you're worried about the permutations, don't try and denigrate those who take a stand against what you've done, it's your poor choices that have lead to this, deal with it.
8 ) As the slightly less subtle songs goes, if you cant do the time, don't do the crime

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 30 Oct 2016 01:49

OldBiscuit
Firstly, my user name does not need to allude to anything.
Secondly, a grass is not a Ronnie Barker TV convenient character, it is a character that betrays his own people. Sadly, they still exist.

LOL @ "his own people".

Just because we follow the same football team doesn't make you one of my people.

If I see you being racist I am going to report it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Oct 2016 07:15

Blue Label
Nameless I agree that it's dangerous to pick out individuals without proper proof, on the other hand you not hearing anything isn't relevant if other people did !

The relevant thing is we would have heard if it was them. There was 5 of us in the row behind that group.
Today's news reports mention people being ejected from the ground, nothing happened like that near us.
You can't post pictures of people you don't who were at the game and accuse them of being racist. There is no proof they were involved , not Impressed.

You didn't hear it, but others did.
no one has suggested the people in the pictures were the ones ejected (I certainly haven't), but I did post what I heard. you not hearing it doesn't change what I heard. It is entirely possible more than one person, in more than one group chanted similar stupid stuff.
I hope the people chanting, whether in the pictured group or not, are a bit embarrassed and cut it out. Would be good if this storm in a tea cup meant we had no further chants like this at Reading games.

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 Oct 2016 07:28

OldBiscuit
Fezza Context:

Ali Al-Habsi is a devout Muslim.

Because of his religion, where he is from and the way he looks some "people" feel it is ok to link him to a known terrorist group who are perpetrating horrific war crimes globally - something that the vast vast majority of Muslims feel is utterly abhorrent.

It is as racist as walking up to someone who is Muslim in the street and calling them a terrorist.

I struggle to see how anyone can view this as "OK" or a bit of "Banter".

I asked for context explanation on a quote about 'old uns and scum, and did not et an answer. Also, your scenario is totally hyperthetical nonsense as a Muslim walking down the street would not be recognisable as a Muslim, as most Muslims tend not to show their religion, some people just assume. But calling A Muslin a terrorist is not racist, it is ignorance.
A big problem we have in today's society is that people actually like to be offended. Perhaps this is because they live empty uneventful lives and then use this opportunity to bully the alleged transgressor.

Sorry that's horseshit. The chant was made because of how he looks, as per the street analogy. I thought we were passed calling people names because of the colour of their skin?

In answer to your question. Yes I absolutely think it's right to "grass" and challenge this behaviour.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Oct 2016 07:35

Is Al Habsi not currently "one of our own"?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 30 Oct 2016 08:21

LoyalRoyal22
LWJ :lol:

Imagine the club already dealing with something but feeling so important you have to do get involved in the snitchathon. Why don't you focus on your own life :roll:

Someone on the Facebook post compared whatever this song was to saying swear words at Football. Our fan base is embarrassing :|

Sorry, I don't want to be sat around people that racially abuse our own players ( or any player ) ruins my viewing experience.

Report them at the time then.

I'm not condoning their actions at all. Just don't agree with people like you who don't have the balls to do anything yourself until after they have already been banned.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 30 Oct 2016 08:24

bobby1413
McDermolenko

I know almost all of these guys by sight... they don't know me, I just recognise them as I've seen them at certain games. I'd be really surprised if they have anything to do with this racial chants that we are talking about....

From what I have encountered they are alright, they have morals and are decent guys. Proper lads (in the positive/literal sense)

I was sat just to the right of said group. The chant was definitely " no crisis, Ali al habsi's in goal" These do gooders that are desperate to get involved with something just to feel important need to get a life. Unless you directly heard the chant. Please don't comment. Imagine if it was you that was wrongly accused.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 30 Oct 2016 08:50

bobby1413
McDermolenko

I know almost all of these guys by sight... they don't know me, I just recognise them as I've seen them at certain games. I'd be really surprised if they have anything to do with this racial chants that we are talking about....

From what I have encountered they are alright, they have morals and are decent guys. Proper lads (in the positive/literal sense)

I was stood near to where the people who got chucked out were.

They were not the ones pictured in this photo.

Those saying they're 'lads', well half the people arguing with them, cheering as they were thrown out, were standing and singing all game.

If you can't manage to be a lad, and create atmosphere without also bringing racist chants into it, you're either to retarded or racist to deserve a place on an RFC stand or away end.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Oct 2016 09:29

Don't like the posted picture on here. Been a while but I recognise a couple of them, were they sat together and chanting, if so anything offensive would have been easily heard, seems the offensive stuff was from elsewhere, and the people responsible ejected.
AAH is supposed to be right up there for POS so far from what I read and see.
Those guys support RFC, and having seen them at away games, always sing and have a laugh, Torquay comes to mind, never seen any trouble at any ground, and the most they have is a bit of banter with home fans.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Oct 2016 09:32

Pat Butchers Ring
bobby1413
McDermolenko

I was sat just to the right of said group. The chant was definitely " no crisis, Ali al habsi's in goal" These do gooders that are desperate to get involved with something just to feel important need to get a life. Unless you directly heard the chant. Please don't comment. Imagine if it was you that was wrongly accused.

There was another chant. It included reference to ISIS, Paris and Al Habsi.
I have no doubt you heard what you heard but that is irrelevant if there were other chants which you missed.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 30 Oct 2016 10:00

I recognise a load of those faces from away games.
They were not among the ones I saw being thrown out in Block 24 . In fact I cannot recall seeing those that were thrown out, at games before.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 30 Oct 2016 11:25

On the chant, I'm sure 99% of people who have sung it and are not racist and just see it as a joke, a bit of dark humour. Personally I wouldn't sing it but to me it's not really any different to that racist joke or sexist joke or homophobic joke everyone's made in a conversation with a mate and has never meant but thought it was a funny joke anyway. I get that this is being used in the far more open forum of a football stadium and therefore more care should be shown, but all the meh over the chant from me, it's crass and bad taste, but I'll take it for what it is, a joke I won't get involved in.

My problem with the situation is that, whilst legally I understand that anyone who did sing that version is in a position to take a ban and if it's proveable the eyes of the club won't take it as the joke it was meant to be, the club have only started giving a shit once someone publicly spoke about it. They didn't give a shit for over a year and all of a sudden because it's gone public now they're making a big deal out of it. If they actually cared about it they should have knocked the nail on the head a year ago, made it clear that it's not acceptable, and not lull people into thinking it's okay, it's being taken as the joke it's meant to be, and then gone for people to keep a good name a year later. It's poor form from the club in my opinion, certainly not fair play to them.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Oct 2016 11:29

Will95 On the chant, I'm sure 99% of people who have sung it and are not racist and just see it as a joke, a bit of dark humour. Personally I wouldn't sing it but to me it's not really any different to that racist joke or sexist joke or homophobic joke everyone's made in a conversation with a mate and has never meant but thought it was a funny joke anyway. I get that this is being used in the far more open forum of a football stadium and therefore more care should be shown, but all the meh over the chant from me, it's crass and bad taste, but I'll take it for what it is, a joke I won't get involved in.

My problem with the situation is that, whilst legally I understand that anyone who did sing that version is in a position to take a ban and if it's proveable the eyes of the club won't take it as the joke it was meant to be, the club have only started giving a shit once someone publicly spoke about it. They didn't give a shit for over a year and all of a sudden because it's gone public now they're making a big deal out of it. If they actually cared about it they should have knocked the nail on the head a year ago, made it clear that it's not acceptable, and not lull people into thinking it's okay, it's being taken as the joke it's meant to be, and then gone for people to keep a good name a year later. It's poor form from the club in my opinion, certainly not fair play to them.

I vote that you chant this post- word for word- at the next game. To the tune of, erm, Yellow Submarine.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 30 Oct 2016 11:38

I think it would suit a heavier riff a bit better, Bodies by Drowning Pool?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 30 Oct 2016 11:44

Will95 On the chant, I'm sure 99% of people who have sung it and are not racist and just see it as a joke, a bit of dark humour. Personally I wouldn't sing it but to me it's not really any different to that racist joke or sexist joke or homophobic joke everyone's made in a conversation with a mate and has never meant but thought it was a funny joke anyway. I get that this is being used in the far more open forum of a football stadium and therefore more care should be shown, but all the meh over the chant from me, it's crass and bad taste, but I'll take it for what it is, a joke I won't get involved in.

What gives you the impression 'the club' were aware it had been sung previously?

tbh, I'm not massively fussed about the song. It's just one incident in a long line of your mates acting like horrible pcunts. Hopefully the club takes the easy opportunity to get rid off them for good.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Oct 2016 11:48

Maybe it just hasn't been reported to them until now?

Tuesday was a larger crowd than there is to most away games, meaning people who don't attend Barnsley away are likely to hear it and make a complaint.

Personally I don't think they're racist, just that they didn't have the brains to realise the true meaning of their words. Wouldn't give them a lifetime ban but perhaps a couple of years away from football might help them grow up a bit.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 30 Oct 2016 11:49

P!ssed Off

What gives you the impression 'the club' were aware it had been sung previously?

tbh, I'm not massively fussed about the song. It's just one incident in a long line of your mates acting like horrible pcunts. Hopefully the club takes the easy opportunity to get rid off them for good.

My mates? Nice assumption from you there :lol:

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 30 Oct 2016 11:59

From Despair To Where? It's not racist but it's something that could knowingly cause considerable offence. My paternal grandfather used to say that sort of shit to my mum and my aunt all the time and they found it deeply offensive.

Causing offence automatically equals racism?

Also, any time while being offended, did anything bad happen to them?

#It'sOkayToBeOffended

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular

by semtex1871 » 30 Oct 2016 12:03

Para Handy Yawn.. Ignoring Semtex's look at me posts and paultheroyal's indignant as usual shite.....

You need to be careful when posting pics, especially when copied off other peoples twitter feeds, that you've got the full context of exactly what went on. I've no idea, probably like the rest of you, of exactly what went when on with the chant. My first thought therefore wouldn't be to post a random pic copied off someone elses twitter feed to a fans site where any amount of bellends are going to draw a conclusion based on it. Just my 2p worth.

Oh. And I've met one bloke in that picture. Don't know any of the others so no hidden agenda.

You tired....don't worry, I'm sure you've enjoyed the extra hour in bed..... :lol:
LOL. Good swerve :lol:

I'll take your lack of response as an agreement from you that making comments about a religion isn't racist......thanks Para :lol:

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular

by semtex1871 » 30 Oct 2016 12:12

Greatwesternline 4) The supposed chant compares our goalkeeper who we are supposed to be supporting to an entity the UK is at war with, because he is Muslim and so are they. How that can be deemed as anything other than racist escapes me. I'd love to hear an explanation that disproves this.

Surely racism = prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Where have they mentioned AAH's race?

148 posts