BFTG - Wigan (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Wigan (A)

by CountryRoyal » 05 Nov 2016 19:54

Never seen a team start as badly as Wigan did. Well taken goals from GMac who was untouchable for periods. They grew into the game when we sat back and didn't press effectively enough. Unfortunate for Meite at the end, Al-Habsi's distribution was awful.

Don't quite know how we're 4th but I'll take it.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Wigan (A)

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Nov 2016 20:13

It's really not that complicated................................try ignoring most of what gets posted here :|

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 05 Nov 2016 20:29

Lightning start and then we were just a better team than them, simple.

Other than their number 4 they were poor all over the pitch, but we made them pay and that's the main thing.

Up to 4th :shock: :shock:

International Royal

by International Royal » 05 Nov 2016 20:47

Excellent win.

Wigan were largely poor and RFC dominated throughout. Good performances from Blackett, Swift, Kermie, McCleary. Mom for me, Swift. He got forward a lot, often beyond Kermie, a real threat throughout.

Blackett lasted the 90 and was solid throughout, good in the air - most of the limited threat from Wigan came down the other flank.

2 excellent finishes from GMac.

Really happy for Kermie with the penalty. He's a personal favourite and works so hard for the team, at both ends. Seemed like the players were reading his flick-ons better. He wins so much.

The team is gelling, and improving...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Nov 2016 21:07

International Royal Good performances from Blackett, Swift, Kermie, McCleary. Mom for me,

Nor forget Harriott. Having a natural left footed player with pace made a real difference. good crosses. Created the penalty opportunity.

With Evans and Harrioot replacing Joey and Beerans that was an inexperienced side that started the game today. Meite was out to prove a point in the few minutes that he was on the pitch. The future looks increasingly brighter.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Nov 2016 22:47

Maybe I saw a different game but I was thoroughly unconvinced with how we took our foot of the gas and gifted Wigan opportunities which a better team would have finished. Just like we shouldn't get carried away with a loss I don't think we should take too much from this. Wigan had more shots and more on target and despite scoring 3 goals we really didn't test Bogdan enough, only recall him making one save.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 05 Nov 2016 22:53

CountryRoyal Maybe I saw a different game but I was thoroughly unconvinced with how we took our foot of the gas and gifted Wigan opportunities which a better team would have finished. Just like we shouldn't get carried away with a loss I don't think we should take too much from this. Wigan had more shots and more on target and despite scoring 3 goals we really didn't test Bogdan enough, only recall him making one save.

You can't expect a home team, under a new manager not to attack us and have no chances... We were never threatened by any of their attacks which is the positive thing. How many of their 'shots' troubled AAH instead of rolling into his arms?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Nov 2016 22:56

They had 3 on target. we had 4 .. we win by 3 goals away from home and people still moan. but hey this is Reading fans, I wouldn`t expect anything else.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Nov 2016 23:06

CountryRoyal Maybe I saw a different game but I was thoroughly unconvinced with how we took our foot of the gas .

After conceding 2 early goals. Did you expect Wigan to simply roll over and give up. I'd be disappointed if that's how Reading team approached a game in the same circumstances. If anything it probably gave them more motivation what with a new manager watching on.

As I said previously this starting team was inexperienced. Every game will yield lessons.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Nov 2016 23:34

LWJ and Lower West I get what you're saying and I agree. Of course it's subjective and there are always multiple ways you could look at it but we conceded too much possession (unintentionally) and left some large holes in defence at times which better teams would have punished. Yes yes you can only play what's in front of you... etc but I certainly didn't feel we "dominated" the game.

I'm not at all disappointed though. I'm just trying to offer grounded balance. When was the last time we scored 3 unanswered goals away from home? After last season away it's been amazing actually winning a few games :!:

I will add just to reiterate what I've said previously, Moore is class and imo our best player. Technique and his footballing brain look a cut above.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Nov 2016 23:50

Well taken goals by McCleary... that's what we need, the wide players chipping in. Yann works his butt off but he doesn't take enough of his chances, good penalty though. Shame Meite was just offside. Glad to see him getting involved.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Nov 2016 00:05

CountryRoyal Unfortunate for Meite at the end

What happened?

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 06 Nov 2016 00:14

Walking away from the ground I was interested in a Wigan fans very loud conversation with a friend on the phone. " We were crap but we were completely outplayed, far better than us " was his summary.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Nov 2016 08:45

TBM
CountryRoyal Unfortunate for Meite at the end

What happened?

Goal ruled out for offside.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Nov 2016 09:16

From the highlights it looked like both of GMac's goals came from fairly direct football; no problem with that for me. Good to mix it up a bit.

I wonder if it is worth giving GMac a few games playing as a false 9 instead of Kermogant, exploiting his pace and interchanging with the two wide forwards (hopefully meite would be one of them). It's actually a system which I could have seen Blackman or HRK enjoying playing in :o (noted Blackman didn't even make the bench for Derby yesterday)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Nov 2016 09:22

3points (noted Blackman didn't even make the bench for Derby yesterday)

Yeah got a 6 week layoff through injury but he still didn't make the bench?

What a pussy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2016 09:33

We looked very good on the highlights - the 2 early goals were excellent (and agree g-mac should be playing more centrally and closer to Yann at times), and a perfect penalty

That Meite offside must have been close - still was a lovely finish. Unfortunate that. Still hopefully offers a real option up top. Hopefully can get a goal or 2 on weds as I expect he will start

bassavage

by bassavage » 06 Nov 2016 09:35

3points I wonder if it is worth giving GMac a few games playing as a false 9 instead of Kermogant, exploiting his pace and interchanging with the two wide forwards (hopefully meite would be one of them). It's actually a system which I could have seen Blackman or HRK enjoying playing in :o (noted Blackman didn't even make the bench for Derby yesterday)

The front 3 did interchange a fair bit yesterday. Harriott and McCleary swapped wings but also Yann switched to the left hand side a few times with Harriott playing through the middle.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 06 Nov 2016 09:54

Interesting comments from Stam about being aware the other team would press high & then using our pace over the top ( see first goal )
Teams won't know how to approach us now :D

My ratings

Al-Habsi - 6
Gunter - 6
Blackett- 7
McShane- 6
Moore- 8
Evans- 8
Swift- 7
Williams- 6
McCleary - 9
Harriett- 7
Yann - 7

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Nov 2016 12:59

CountryRoyal
I will add just to reiterate what I've said previously, Moore is class and imo our best player. Technique and his footballing brain look a cut above.

On reflection noticeable how much McShane was the ball in the first half. As if Moore was a marked man. Moore was instrumental in the second goal. Not often you see a centre back on the edge of the oppositions box in the 4th minute of a game.

Don't think that this (current) team is capable of dominating the opposition.