Contracts

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

Contracts

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 13 Nov 2016 00:17

From what I can gather, those out of contract at the end of this season are (ages in brackets)...

Ali Al-Habsi (34)
Garath McCleary (29)
Danny Williams (27)
Yann Kermorgant (35)
Liam Kelly (20)
Tarique Fosu (21)
Craig Tanner (22)

With the following also maybe out of contract (no information on their contract length available)....
Stuart Moore (22)
George Legg (20)
Jake Sheppard (19)
Zak Jules (19)
Rob Dickie (20)
Dom Hyam (20)
Shane Griffin (22)
Sean Long (21)
Aaron Kuhl (20)
Andy Rinomhota (19)
Andrija Novakovich (20)
Harry Cardwell (20)

+ Possibly Numerous Other Academy Players (including Lewis Ward, Billy Collings, Joe Tupper, Luke Southwood, Omar Richards, Gabriel Osho, Sindri Scheving, Axel Andresson, Thomas McIntyre, Omar Richards, Harrison Bennett, Ryan East, Conor Davis, and Sam Smith)

So with that in mind, who would you like the club to offer new deals?

Al-Habsi and McCleary will presumably be top priorities, especially with them both in good form. We do have a huge number of goalkeepers behind Ali at the moment and he isn't getting any younger, but he's such a fan favourite I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign on for a couple more years.

McCleary and Williams aren't certainties probably due to their wages. Both were signed during the Zingarevich era, a period known for its ridiculous contracts, and the fact they still are yet to renew shows the club are a little hesitant with these two. I'd expect McCleary to follow Gunter and take a pay cut, but he might wait until the end of the season. Same with Danny, however I wouldn't be too surprised if he's keen to stay given the guarantee of first team football. I know he's desperate for a move to the Premier League but I doubt there would be many teams willing to take a punt on him

I think Kermorgant will get another year, which will split opinion. I rate him now, which I didn't when he joined, and I don't think he's particularly slow for someone of his age. Interestingly he was a latecomer to the demands of professional football, having battled leukemia as a teenager and only joining Châtellerault in French non-league when he was 23. This means he'll probably have a few more years in him than most players who have been playing non-stop since 17/18

getReading were reporting on Liam Kelly being offered a new deal, which I think is essential, but I think time may be running out for Craig Tanner and Tarique Fosu. Tanner is surely heading for a permanent switch to Plymouth if they're promoted to League One, having now played over 60 games for them. A lot of fans will riot if Fosu gets released, but if managers keep ignoring him then there's obviously something not right, and his loan spell at Colchester has been poor so far. I'd give him another year, but wouldn't be surprised if he leaves

As for the other youngsters, it's a bit tricky when the club don't bother telling you how long they've signed on for. Griffin and Long have now surely reached the age in which the club can't keep them on any longer, and I was pretty surprised we offered them new deals last summer. I'd probably let them go along with Cardwell, who hasn't really lived up to his potential and barely got a look in on loan at Braintree this year. I haven't really seen enough of the others to make a good judgement so I'll trust the coaching staff, but hopefully they're all deemed to be progressing well enough to earn another chance. As for Aaron Kuhl, he needs to start playing games for Boreham Wood otherwise he'll be gone

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Contracts

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Nov 2016 02:08

Keepers are good til 40......AAH and being 34 is a non issue....for starters

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Nov 2016 10:39

I'd take Al-Habsi, and Kelly for the first team. I'd go for McCleary too, but it'll be his last realistic shot at the premier league and he's already supposedly a high earner, so I doubt it'd be cost effective to get him to stay. That said, he'a made noises about wanting to stay, so if Brian can work some magic, great.

Struggle to know enough about most of the youngsters. Dickie seems to have something a bit special about him, and may be worth keeping if Cooper continues to fall from grace.

Kuhl...didn't that go bad quickly. Two years ago he was making occasional starts and the club were reputedly wafting away bids of around £2m from Man City. Seems like the trash heap for him. I wonder where it all went wrong.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2016 11:04

Ali Al-Habsi (34)

Really don't know where we are with our keepers. Jaakkola looks good but obviously haven't seen enough of him and he's picked up an unexplained injury from somewhere. Bond might be the part and has youth on his side but everyone is still unconvinced. Habsi therefore has to be the best of the three and on those grounds alone I would look to offer him a new 2 year deal. However I would be looking out for an opportunity to sign an experienced keeper who perhaps is more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Garath McCleary (29)

As I understand things the club have opened conversations with Garath about a new deal but in all likelihood I would expect him to let his contract run down as, at his age, it could be the last opportunity to get a move to a PL club. I'd still expect the club to offer a new 2 year deal but would be surprised if he was still here next season.

Danny Williams (27)

Same as for Garath. I'd expect a new 3 year deal to be offered but I think he'll let his contract run down and consider his options in the summer.

Yann Kermorgant (35)

A couple of years younger maybe I would offer a new deal but, tbh, we really need to be looking for a younger Yann Kermogant type of player but with a bit of pace.

Liam Kelly (20)

No questions asked must be kept. Believe the club are in the process of talks with Liam currently. Probably of all those out of contract he is the one I'd be most depressed about losing.

Tarique Fosu (21)

Really going to be a big season for Tariq. He needs to impress Jaap this season with his approach both on and off the field. If he does that I think he'll be offered a new deal but I think the fans also need to see something more while he is on loan by way of excellent feedback from supporters of Colchester as there really is a limit as to how long he can trade on Derby away.

Craig Tanner (22)

Really not sure about Craig as I'm not precisely sure where the management of Reading would see his best position being. Is he going to be wide bloke, is he going to be striker bloke or is he going to be used as bloke in the hole or will he merely be utility cover for those roles in which case is it in his best interests to stay? Could see him being offered something but electing to move permanently to Plymouth if they wanted him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Nov 2016 11:57

Saaaaaaaammmmmm From what I can gather, those out of contract at the end of this season are (ages in brackets)...

Ali Al-Habsi (34) KEEP
Garath McCleary (29) KEEP depending on cost, one who is more likely to walk away.
Danny Williams (27) RELEASE
Yann Kermorgant (35)RELEASE
Liam Kelly (20) KEEP
Tarique Fosu (21)KEEP
Craig Tanner (22) KEEP

With the following also maybe out of contract (no information on their contract length available)....
Stuart Moore (22) KEEP
George Legg (20)DUNNO
Jake Sheppard (19)DUNNO
Zak Jules (19)LOAN
Rob Dickie (20)KEEP
Dom Hyam (20)LOAN
Shane Griffin (22)RELEASE
Sean Long (21)RELEASE
Aaron Kuhl (20)ONE LAST CHANCE
Andy Rinomhota (19)KEEP
Andrija Novakovich (20)KEEP
Harry Cardwell KEEP

Find a buyer for Gunter.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Nov 2016 12:25

Hope we keep GMac but doubt he's good enough for the Prem .... if he leaves it will be to another Champ team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2016 15:33

Ian Royal
Saaaaaaaammmmmm From what I can gather, those out of contract at the end of this season are (ages in brackets)...

Ali Al-Habsi (34) KEEP
Garath McCleary (29) KEEP depending on cost, one who is more likely to walk away.
Danny Williams (27) RELEASE
Yann Kermorgant (35)RELEASE
Liam Kelly (20) KEEP
Tarique Fosu (21)KEEP
Craig Tanner (22) KEEP

Stuart Moore (22) KEEP
George Legg (20)DUNNO
Jake Sheppard (19)DUNNO
Zak Jules (19)LOAN
Rob Dickie (20)KEEP
Dom Hyam (20)LOAN
Shane Griffin (22)RELEASE
Sean Long (21)RELEASE
Aaron Kuhl (20)ONE LAST CHANCE
Andy Rinomhota (19)KEEP
Andrija Novakovich (20)KEEP
Harry Cardwell KEEP

Find a buyer for Gunter.

:roll:

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 14 Nov 2016 11:20

Luke Southwood should be a priority IMHO.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Nov 2016 11:21

agreed. what an ultramaroon

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Nov 2016 11:22

I think we'll do well to keep hold of McCleary in Jan, would be a low risk signing for a bottom half prem or better paying champ side. Would certainly like to keep hold of him.

I expect we'll offer Williams a new contract on reduced terms - then up to whether anyone else offers him anything better.

Kelly will sign, I would give Yann another year, suspect AAH will be happy enough to sign on for another year or two - don't see why he would move anywhere else if we want him. Tanner seems to be the best of the loanees, so wouldn't be surprised and would like to see him get another chance here.

Not seen enough of the younger players to judge which should be kept

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Nov 2016 14:17

Ali Al-Habsi (34) - A must keep. I think it would be unwise to let him go when so many teams would love him on a free.
Garath McCleary (29) - Likewise it would be far from ideal to allow another team such a quality player for nothing. I like to think he would stay.
Danny Williams (27) - Deserves a new contract in my book.
Yann Kermorgant (35) - 35 is just too old I think for him to be worth the investment.
Liam Kelly (20) - Should be the first contract offered.

Tarique Fosu (21), Aaron Kuhl (20), Andrija Novakovich (20), Harry Cardwell (20), Stuart Moore (22) & Craig Tanner (22) - Should not let young players of this quality go on a free. Although theyre not really near the first team....

Shane Griffin (22), Sean Long (21) - Let go. We've had plenty of times we have needed some fullback cover and they clearly havent been up to the task.

George Legg (20), Jake Sheppard (19), Zak Jules (19), Rob Dickie (20), Dom Hyam (20), Andy Rinomhota (19) - I know very, very little about them. I think Jules is supposed to be quite good right?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Nov 2016 14:58

id be willing to pay big money for mccleary to stay
not so much williams

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 Nov 2016 15:51

We have an option of another year with McCleary.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Nov 2016 16:21

kwik-silva We have an option of another year with McCleary.

I hadn't heard that, but could be true. Gunter's first contract had an option for another year, but the choice about whether or not to invoke it was with the club, not him. (They left him hanging till Feb/March before invoking it, it was obvious he'd wanted to get it settled a bit before that - so it's clear enough who was making the decision). And he then took a cut for the renewal last season.

But McCleary was talking in EP about having to discuss a contract - which suggests to me either he doesn't have that kind of contract, as it would be just yes or no. and nothing to discuss, or they are refusing to invoke the option on the original contract, and are suggesting only a new contract with reduced rates.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 Nov 2016 16:25

muirinho
kwik-silva We have an option of another year with McCleary.

I hadn't heard that, but could be true. Gunter's first contract had an option for another year, but the choice about whether or not to invoke it was with the club, not him. (They left him hanging till Feb/March before invoking it, it was obvious he'd wanted to get it settled a bit before that - so it's clear enough who was making the decision). And he then took a cut for the renewal last season.

But McCleary was talking in EP about having to discuss a contract - which suggests to me either he doesn't have that kind of contract, as it would be just yes or no. and nothing to discuss, or they are refusing to invoke the option on the original contract, and are suggesting only a new contract with reduced rates.

It is true:

OS Reading Football Club are thrilled to announce that 27-year-old winger Garath McCleary has today put pen to paper on a new contract with the Royals.

One of the most exciting talents within the Royals’ ranks, Garath signed a new deal with Co-Chairman Sir John Madejski this afternoon, keeping him at Madejski Stadium until the summer of 2017 with the option of a further year.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 87422.aspx

So either they haven't yet discussed it, or they're unsure of whether to trigger the clause; although I'd be surprised if they wanted reduced rates given it's the same owners that signed him to this one and if anything he's improved this season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Nov 2016 17:16

Too early to be making calls on most players.

Kelly should be our #1 priority. McCleary might be worth holding off on until the end of January to see if he still looks like a first choice. I'd wait until the end of the season before offering anything to Williams or Al-Habsi but if it ended tomorrow then I'd give them one. Yann probably has to go unless he becomes more than a sticking plaster.

Legg, Griffin and Long need to make major steps forward. Younger, better players are ahead of them in the pecking order and they've not really done much to make them look like potential first teamers.

The second-year U23s - Sheppard, Jules, Rinomhota, Novakovich and Cardwell - need to nail down places in the U23 side and show that they have what it takes. Jules is doing best right now (except for Watson obviously, and Ward who probably already has a contract?).

The third-years - Dickie, Hyam, Kuhl, Fosu, potentially Stacey - need to convince the manager that they're going to be serious first-team options soon. This is even more pressing for Keown and Tanner. Keown's big issue is his injury record.

Moore probably needs to start looking like a replacement to Al-Habsi or he'll get bypassed by Ward and Southwood.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Nov 2016 18:14

kwik-silva
It is true:

Well remembered, I'd totally missed that. As indeed has Charlie Watts, you should have a word!
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... g-12141531

kwik-silva
So either they haven't yet discussed it, or they're unsure of whether to trigger the clause; although I'd be surprised if they wanted reduced rates given it's the same owners that signed him to this one and if anything he's improved this season.

True enough, although we do have a new Technical Director now of course. And new manager, I doubt the owners know exactly how much Footballer X should be paid, they are going to be relying on the Technical Director (and perhaps the manager) telling them what that footballer is worth.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 16 Nov 2016 22:08

Royalwaster Hope we keep GMac but doubt he's good enough for the Prem .... if he leaves it will be to another Champ team.

Disagree, he and swift are the two players who have the ability to play in the prem. There are quite a few in the prem who are no better

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2017 14:27

Club are about to open talks with Danny Williams and, perhaps surprisingly, Yann Kermorgant.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Feb 2017 14:30

Sutekh Club are about to open talks with Danny Williams and, perhaps surprisingly, Yann Kermorgant.

Kermorgant's game isn't about pace and he won't lose what attributes he's got at 36 as opposed to 35. A smart move to offer another year if we stay down.