Nicky Forster interview

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Nicky Forster interview

by sandman » 17 Nov 2016 18:44

Nice little interview with Fozzy. Talks about Kermogant playing up front on his own, Pardew, Coppell, Stam and his memories of playing for Reading.

https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/football-betting/championship/forster-interview-reading-favourite,116946.html

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Nicky Forster interview

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Nov 2016 19:30

Has obviously seen neither Reading or Brighton on the basis of the crap he's quoted as having said.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Nov 2016 19:39

Looks like he has seen Beerens.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Nov 2016 19:58

sandman Looks like he has seen Beerens.

Hasnt Beerens statisically created the most goal scoring chances in our team? I would suggest it is our finishing letting us down.

If people sincerely believe McCleary, Beerens and Harriott are not good enough options on the wing for the Championship they need their heads examined.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Nov 2016 20:03

We have far better wing options than Brighton whatever Forster reckons.

If Knockhart got injured they'd loose 75% of their goal threat.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Nov 2016 20:13

Well.....they've always got Steve Sidwell to make up the threat

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Nov 2016 21:27

Wigan was in 2001.....

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Nov 2016 22:30

Haven't heard the interview but Forster is one of my all-time favourite Reading players. Absolutely electric when on form and a scorer of some blinding goals.

Might even have made the Prem in 03 if he hadn't done his knee at Molineux.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Nov 2016 23:12

Maguire Haven't heard the interview but Forster is one of my all-time favourite Reading players. Absolutely electric when on form and a scorer of some blinding goals.

He was sometimes (all the time) offside though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Nov 2016 12:02

Maguire Haven't heard the interview but Forster is one of my all-time favourite Reading players. Absolutely electric when on form and a scorer of some blinding goals.

Agree with all of this.

The goal away against Sheffield United live on Sky was an absolute beaut.

He was so dangerous in that 4-5-1 formation when Hughes played behind him. His pace was astonishing at times.

The Wigan play-off semi-final will always be something he will be remembered for, he came on and totally changed the game. I remember at the time thinking that he should've been taking the penalty rather than Cureton, but it makes for a much better story that Cureton missed and Forster got the rebound.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 18 Nov 2016 12:07

Ha, I was just about to post this because, y'know, I wrote it!

The stuff on 4-5-1 I particularly enjoyed.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Nov 2016 13:13

NewCorkSeth

Hasnt Beerens statisically created the most goal scoring chances in our team? I would suggest it is our finishing letting us down.

If people sincerely believe McCleary, Beerens and Harriott are not good enough options on the wing for the Championship they need their heads examined.

Squawka has him with 25 chances created (25 key passes, 0 assists) to McCleary's 22 (20 key passes, 2 assists), whereas whoscored has Beerens with 27 key passes to McCleary's 29. Either way, he's definitely top 2.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Nov 2016 13:28

kwik-silva
NewCorkSeth

Squawka has him with 25 chances created (25 key passes, 0 assists) to McCleary's 22 (20 key passes, 2 assists), whereas whoscored has Beerens with 27 key passes to McCleary's 29. Either way, he's definitely top 2.

I was sure I saw a chances created stat rather than a key pass stat a few weeks ago but anyway the statistics, if you are inclined to trust them, show hes playing well with little reward!

I understand people who have the capacity to go to the games every week will be able to tell a lot more about him than an exile in France will from stats and highlights but often looks can be deceiving right? Isnt that the point of moneyball?

(btw we dont need another argument about why moneyball doesnt work in a complicated game like football)

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Nov 2016 13:32

NewCorkSeth
kwik-silva
NewCorkSeth Hasnt Beerens statisically created the most goal scoring chances in our team? I would suggest it is our finishing letting us down.

I was sure I saw a chances created stat rather than a key pass stat a few weeks ago but anyway the statistics, if you are inclined to trust them, show hes playing well with little reward!

I understand people who have the capacity to go to the games every week will be able to tell a lot more about him than an exile in France will from stats and highlights but often looks can be deceiving right? Isnt that the point of moneyball?

(btw we dont need another argument about why moneyball doesnt work in a complicated game like football)
Squawka's definition of chances created is just key passes + assists but I guess key pass is somewhat subjective which is where the dependency arises!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Nov 2016 18:26

Just watched his goals in the video that's with the interview. If we could find a striker like him over Xmas we could well be heading for the top!

I had almost forgotten just how good (and damn fast) he was. Amazing watching him dribbling with the ball at his feet faster than the covering defenders could run without the ball!

Jagermesiter1871

That old chestnut! A massive exaggeration. He was also one of those strikers who suffered because he could react and run quicker than the average lino's brain! By the time lino woke up, he was ahead of defenders and lino wrongly assumed it must have been because he was offside at the time the ball was played.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 18 Nov 2016 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Nov 2016 18:29

RoyalBlue Just watched his goals in the video that's with the interview. If we could find a striker like him over Xmas we could well be heading for the top!

I had almost forgotten just how good (and damn fast) he was. Amazing watching him dribbling with the ball at his feet faster than the covering defenders could run without the ball!

I think any team with a striker like him would be heading for the top.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Nov 2016 15:14

Jagermesiter1871

Yawn

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Nov 2016 20:05

Two goals created from excellent crosses today Nicky!

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Nov 2016 21:50

RoyalBlue Just watched his goals in the video that's with the interview. If we could find a striker like him over Xmas we could well be heading for the top!

Jagermesiter1871

That old chestnut! A massive exaggeration. He was also one of those strikers who suffered because he could react and run quicker than the average lino's brain! By the time lino woke up, he was ahead of defenders and lino wrongly assumed it must have been because he was offside at the time the ball was played.

My comment was massively tongue in cheek.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1