BFTG - Burton

157 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Burton

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Nov 2016 11:00

I do think if Stam were to pull off promotion, it would certainly overtake McDermott's accomplishment when he won promotion as he had two and a half seasons to mould a team, granted, having key players like Sig and Long sold to plug the black hole.

Stam however would be doing it in his first season as a manager, not just at this club, but in his coaching career and requiring a large player and backroom rebuild in the summer with relatively little capital to work with. Too soon to get carried away of course as we still have 29 games to play but the signs are promising.

However, nothing will beat the 106 season bar actually beating it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Nov 2016 11:22

Even then the 106 season will be more special, because it was the first time.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Nov 2016 11:26

genome Even then the 106 season will be more special, because it was the first time.

And it really did come out of absolute nowhere, I think it was a shock to everyone.

Now we know the club has the potential to do it again.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 23 Nov 2016 12:08

I'm desperately trying to find it, but about five years ago I posted a post/tirade at a fan who accused Brian McDermott's title winning team of playing "boring, soulless football" - it was about the time everyone started getting moist about Barcelona/La Liga.

We now play that style of football, admittedly not quite with the same talent(!), and you still get the same old faces moaning. I have a guy behind me whose favourite Marcus Hahnemann/Sonko shout was "for God's sake, throw/pass it out", I'm sure you can guess his favourite shout now for Al-Habsi and co is "for God's sake, get it forward."

The 20/20 test match comparison was pretty close to nailing this odd phenomenon. Personally, if Reading are winning, I'm entertained. I get the same enjoyment watching Alistair Cook grind out a dirty century with the only three shots he has in his repertoire than I do out of Joe Root getting a beauty with his run-a-ball, all the shots style. That's because if those things happen, England are probably on their way to a win.

As for the Mighty Royals, I like the way we're playing at the moment, but can understand how it can frustrate (Snob Mode: Less educated) fans. I loved the way we played under B-Mac because it was so full of graft and about being a team (our banks of four that season were unreal, Jimmy Kebe running 40 yards to stop a cross at West Ham sticks in my mind as the defining 'I love this team' moment), I loved the way we played under Coppell because it was so quick and direct. Don't let anyone tell you we played pretty football that season, it was blitz football. All three - at the moment - have one thing in common, winning football...and that's fine by me.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 23 Nov 2016 12:47

The Goat was fed I'm desperately trying to find it, but about five years ago I posted a post/tirade at a fan who accused Brian McDermott's title winning team of playing "boring, soulless football" - it was about the time everyone started getting moist about Barcelona/La Liga.

We now play that style of football, admittedly not quite with the same talent(!), and you still get the same old faces moaning. I have a guy behind me whose favourite Marcus Hahnemann/Sonko shout was "for God's sake, throw/pass it out", I'm sure you can guess his favourite shout now for Al-Habsi and co is "for God's sake, get it forward."

The 20/20 test match comparison was pretty close to nailing this odd phenomenon. Personally, if Reading are winning, I'm entertained. I get the same enjoyment watching Alistair Cook grind out a dirty century with the only three shots he has in his repertoire than I do out of Joe Root getting a beauty with his run-a-ball, all the shots style. That's because if those things happen, England are probably on their way to a win.

As for the Mighty Royals, I like the way we're playing at the moment, but can understand how it can frustrate (Snob Mode: Less educated) fans. I loved the way we played under B-Mac because it was so full of graft and about being a team (our banks of four that season were unreal, Jimmy Kebe running 40 yards to stop a cross at West Ham sticks in my mind as the defining 'I love this team' moment), I loved the way we played under Coppell because it was so quick and direct. Don't let anyone tell you we played pretty football that season, it was blitz football. All three - at the moment - have one thing in common, winning football...and that's fine by me.

This post is a thing of beauty. Every poster should print, frame and hang this from the most prominent position in their household.

:!: :!: :!: APPLAUSE :!: :!: :!:

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 24 Nov 2016 16:09

handbags_harris
The Goat was fed I'm desperately trying to find it, but about five years ago I posted a post/tirade at a fan who accused Brian McDermott's title winning team of playing "boring, soulless football" - it was about the time everyone started getting moist about Barcelona/La Liga.

This post is a thing of beauty. Every poster should print, frame and hang this from the most prominent position in their household.

:!: :!: :!: APPLAUSE :!: :!: :!:

Oh stop it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Nov 2016 10:41

Muskrat People will of course have their blinkers on because it was a "comfortable" 3-0 win and we're (somehow) third in the league. I'd get a screenshot now if I were you guys because next week when Brizzle and their 3,000 fans roll into town I feel a big reality check coming our way :|

It's more of a quote than a screenshot but do go on....

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 27 Nov 2016 17:46

Sure no problem. I wasn't able to get to the game but listened on the radio and it sounded like we got exactly what I predicted, a reality check. Loads of posters who went to the game have said that Brizzle were unlucky not to have got something from the game and pretty much bossed the second half. Also I've had a close look at the video footage now and definitely not a penalty for me plus it seems that they should have been awarded one when Harriott handled the ball in the box (no video of that). So yeah I think I was pretty much spot on.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Nov 2016 19:20

Not sure how beating a decent Bristol side is a 'reality check'.
The reality that we all recognise is that a team that is still a work in progress is producing excellent results. Performances are patchy, we range from really very good to a bit shaky but the character the team has developed is carrying us through the shaky bits.
Our reality is currently somewhat better than the reality of almost every other team in the division, that's how you judge these things.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Nov 2016 19:58

Muskrat Sure no problem. I wasn't able to get to the game but listened on the radio and it sounded like we got exactly what I predicted, a reality check. Loads of posters who went to the game have said that Brizzle were unlucky not to have got something from the game and pretty much bossed the second half. Also I've had a close look at the video footage now and definitely not a penalty for me plus it seems that they should have been awarded one when Harriott handled the ball in the box (no video of that). So yeah I think I was pretty much spot on.

Well hopefully we get many more of your reality checks, because they'll see us pick up loads more points if this was exactly what you were talking about.

Goodness, how dreadful it is to have a team actually apply a bit of pressure to us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2016 02:40

Nameless Not sure how beating a decent Bristol side is a 'reality check'.
The reality that we all recognise is that a team that is still a work in progress is producing excellent results. Performances are patchy, we range from really very good to a bit shaky but the character the team has developed is carrying us through the shaky bits.
Our reality is currently somewhat better than the reality of almost every other team in the division, that's how you judge these things.

Well said.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Nov 2016 10:50

Muskrat Sure no problem. I wasn't able to get to the game but listened on the radio and it sounded like we got exactly what I predicted, a reality check. Loads of posters who went to the game have said that Brizzle were unlucky not to have got something from the game and pretty much bossed the second half. Also I've had a close look at the video footage now and definitely not a penalty for me plus it seems that they should have been awarded one when Harriott handled the ball in the box (no video of that). So yeah I think I was pretty much spot on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Nov 2016 11:27

Ian Royal

Well hopefully we get many more of your reality checks, because they'll see us pick up loads more points if this was exactly what you were talking about.

+1 I'll take a "reality check" like that every week please.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2016 12:21

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2016 12:35

....as the good and the great gang-up en-mass

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 29 Nov 2016 20:02

Well exactly AS, like that's going to phase me at all :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2016 20:05

Of course :wink:

One chirps up......they all jump on the bandwagon....basically saying the same thing.

Gives them their moment of importance I guess :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2016 20:31

Maneki Neko

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's so funny because after reading that cracking (absolute bollocks) post from Muskrat I was going to post the same pic. Need to go and find another one now :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2016 20:34

.....just a couple of days late.....but worth the resurrection nonetheless

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2016 20:36

Sorry mate, took a flight to Bali, business, missed this and catching up. HTH.

Ps morning x

157 posts