Away Fans pub near Train Station

Reading Red

Away Fans pub near Train Station

by Reading Red » 23 Nov 2016 11:15

Hi all,

Bristol City fan here in peace.
Living in Reading, I noticed that the Three Guineas pub is closed for refurbishment. This was always the designated away fans pub for those arriving by train. Does anyone on here know what the arrangements are for away fans pubs in the town centre? Historically, other town centre pubs have had pretty strict policies regarding away fans.

If anyone knows any information on this it would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Away Fans pub near Train Station

by Forbury Lion » 24 Nov 2016 09:39

If you don't get an answer out of us it might be worth asking on the Burton Albion forum as we played them last Saturday and being away fans their selves, they may have been directed there by the police.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 24 Nov 2016 10:01

Are we assuming you're a 'shirter' Red? If so, I've seen away fans in the Walkabout, the Monk's, Tap of Hope etc. As long as you're towing the line, you'll be fine. Plod are normally doing their rounds anyway. If you're not a shirter, the world's your oyster. In Reading :roll:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Nov 2016 10:47

Talking to the lads in the Greyfriar it seems that nobody has thought this through still and Saturday will be the first test of the new system

Reading Red

by Reading Red » 24 Nov 2016 11:00

Thank you for your replies!

Walkabout seems like an option.
Did Burton have a large following? We're bringing over 3000 of which a fair number will be arriving by train. Guess we'll soon find out on Saturday.
Luckily we're always a well-behaved bunch so I'm sure we'll be welcomed in most places :roll: :wink:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 24 Nov 2016 12:53

Noticed that the Reading Railway Club (in between the Three Guineas and Greyfriar) has a poster outside welcoming RFC and LI fans. No idea how busy they get and what their policy on away fans is.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Nov 2016 13:01

Reading Red Hi all,

Living in Reading, I noticed that the Three Guineas pub is closed for refurbishment. This was always the designated away fans pub for those arriving by train. Does anyone on here know what the arrangements are for away fans pubs in the town centre? Historically, other town centre pubs have had pretty strict policies regarding away fans.

Cheers

The Gateway and Greyfriar are away fan friendly I believe. Turn right out of the station and head down the hill. You can't miss either. The Gateway does better beer though.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 24 Nov 2016 13:17

As SF said this will be only the second big away following since the Guineas shut,the first being Villa and they seemed to be shunted into the Gateway

Seeing that its City though the OB will probably hoard them all into the Monks so theres no issues if some early renovation work gets carried out before Sundays closure

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Nov 2016 13:27

Sold over 3000 tickets apparently. I like a good game against Bristol City... always an entertaining time in town and at the game

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Nov 2016 14:13

No Fixed Abode
Reading Red Hi all,

Cheers

The Gateway and Greyfriar are away fan friendly I believe. Turn right out of the station and head down the hill. You can't miss either. The Gateway does better beer though.

The Greyfriar are everyone friendly but distinctly away fans shenanigans unfriendly, so expected to be rightly told to shut the fvck up if you start singing football songs.

Also, ignore NFA's last point, unless you think Coors light is a lovely pint.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 24 Nov 2016 14:48

Frog & Pickle on Manchester Street, just up from the old tram station.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 24 Nov 2016 15:33

The Bradford Arms m8.

Slater1993

by Slater1993 » 24 Nov 2016 15:50

No Fixed Abode
Reading Red Hi all,

Cheers

You must be joking....

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Nov 2016 17:56

Reading Red Did Burton have a large following? We're bringing over 3000 of which a fair number will be arriving by train.
They're following was much smaller and they were from Burton, who don't really have a reputation in these parts.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 24 Nov 2016 20:45

Winston Smith Frog & Pickle on Manchester Street, just up from the old tram station.

Being refurbished m8. Better not rip that old fireplace out :x .

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Nov 2016 08:58

For any other away fans reading this thread, The Monks Retreat is closing on Sunday, reopening in December sometime as a non-Weatherspoons.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Nov 2016 14:42

Silver Fox
No Fixed Abode
Reading Red Hi all,

Cheers

The Greyfriar are everyone friendly but distinctly away fans shenanigans unfriendly, so expected to be rightly told to shut the fvck up if you start singing football songs.

Also, ignore NFA's last point, unless you think Coors light is a lovely pint.

They don't sell Coors in The Gateway. But at least they do some drinkable beers unlike the Greyfriar. It's a case of hoping to get a slightly less vile beer in there than on your previous visit. Whereas at least you know the Gateway will have Guinness on if nothing else takes your fancy.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Nov 2016 14:47

Slater1993
No Fixed Abode
Reading Red Hi all,

Cheers

You must be joking....

No. Any decent pub does a good selection of generic beers plus a few real ales for the ale types. Catering for everyone if you will. The Greyfriar, and believe me, I've been in about a dozen times now, not once have I had a beer that tasted good. "Oh you like Guinness do you?" "Try our Vanilla Stout, you'll love it". It was categorically one of the worst stouts I've ever had. It was like a pint of Guinness, left for 5 years, with a hint of drip trays from off beer added to it.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 25 Nov 2016 16:14

Reading Red Hi all,

Cheers

Blagrave arms.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 25 Nov 2016 21:39

Reading Red wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

tee peg wrote:
Blagrave arms.

Reminds me of the time when Sheff U's firm turned up outside the Monk's and asked one of our lads for the whereabouts of the Reading firm. Quick as a flash he said, "Carry on round to the lights and turn left. You'll find a pub down there on the right called the Wynford Arms. They all hang out there before games" :lol: "Cheers mate you're a pal" came the reply. Said lad being none other than the infamous Kirbs (RIP).