"Doing a Leicester" - Your Thoughts

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: "Doing a Leicester" - Your Thoughts

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Nov 2016 00:45

If your imagination doesn't stretch to seeing the likes of Swift and Moore in the top flight you might want to consider seeking professional advice :|

Like Long and Sigurdsson before them, they will be there within a year or so, with us or without us and I know which option I prefer..............

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Nov 2016 02:03

I think seeking proffesional advice over opinions relating to football might be a foolhardy waste of the NHS's meagre funding. :|

No doubt a couple in this squad, namely the ones you mentioned could play well in the premier league, and to get there is the ultimate goal, I just prefer to watch competitive football. This team at top level isn't that.

They're not a bad bunch, but they're not of the quality of your Watfords, your Middlesboroughs or your Bournemouths of the last few years.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 24 Nov 2016 09:34

Losing play off final every season please.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Nov 2016 09:51

First of all, I want us to get promoted - ideally as champions again.
If we do go up, I think the style of play under Jaap Stam, with a few new signings, would see us do well.

Regarding the Leicester comparison, our first season in the premier league is perhaps comparable - we just missed out on a UEFA cup spot despite mostly sticking with the team that won promotion.... now it looks as though Leicester are having a follow on season similar to us.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 24 Nov 2016 15:03

A few posters have mentioned this, but don't you find it odd that the two teams that have got promoted to the Premier League weren't fancied to do anything? 106 was slightly different as it soon became apparent that we had constructed a super team, but we weren't fancied to do anything at the start. Brian's team, I still maintain, no more than three of those players would have got into every other side in the Championship.

My point is, those saying "we'll never get promoted with this squad's quality" are just wrong, history says so. I'll never rule out a well-managed team, with a clear ethos and work ethic (and there's no denying we're that) from getting out of the Championship and you're a numpty if you do. Given that only three teams out of however many get promoted, it's much easier to be right by predicting we won't go up. I'd say live a little.

To further prove the point, the only Reading team I've ever seen that 'should have gone up' was Coppell's first season post-Premier League. We dished out some spectacular dickings that season, but it all went west at the end as heads had been turned and the team togetherness had flopped.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 24 Nov 2016 16:16

Didn't it kick off in the changing room at HT in the second leg of the playoff.

I also forgive that team, because

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Nov 2016 16:23

On a similar note,

Being a yo-yo club >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mid table Premier League obscurity for seasons on end

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Nov 2016 16:32

The Goat was fed To further prove the point, the only Reading team I've ever seen that 'should have gone up' was Coppell's first season post-Premier League. We dished out some spectacular dickings that season, but it all went west at the end as heads had been turned and the team togetherness had flopped.

That game is legitim8ly the only time I've seen a Reading team properly give up in a match. When that second goal (3rd on agg) went in, we basically just ground to a halt.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Nov 2016 16:36

genome
The Goat was fed To further prove the point, the only Reading team I've ever seen that 'should have gone up' was Coppell's first season post-Premier League. We dished out some spectacular dickings that season, but it all went west at the end as heads had been turned and the team togetherness had flopped.

That game is legitim8ly the only time I've seen a Reading team properly give up in a match. When that second goal (3rd on agg) went in, we basically just ground to a halt.

Agreed, they just downed tools completely.

Although they should've been in a better position going into that second leg, had Kebe not totally fluffed a chance in the first half of the first leg - if anyone else remembers that moment in time 7.5 years ago :?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Nov 2016 16:41

It was odd. It was like the whole team and crowd knew the Coppell era was over with Burnley's 2nd goal.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Nov 2016 16:48

yep. knew it was all over. had the same gut punched feeling as after relegation

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 24 Nov 2016 16:55

Archie's Penalty called someone in the Lass O'Gowry a facist.
Happy days.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Nov 2016 17:22

genome It was odd. It was like the whole team and crowd knew the Coppell era was over with Burnley's 2nd goal.

2 ridiculous goals mind.