Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG-Bristol city.

by RoyalBlue » 26 Nov 2016 19:26

Nameless
RoyalBlue
windermere_royal
Please enlighten us to what he actually did wrong?. I thought he was one of the better refs we will see this season.

Waved away the penalty for starters - thank goodness for Bristol City's favourite Assistant Ref!

Waved advantage when one of just two players we had breaking forward was flattened and left on the ground leaving the other player to take on three defenders on his own!

Being balanced, missed a clear handball in our area by one of our players in the first half. Let AH get away with murder in terms of holding ball in hands and general time wasting.

To be fair to the ref you cannot say awarding our penalty was getting anything wrong ! It was a good example of the officials working together.

But it wasn't a good example of them working together. Fortunately his assistant left him with no choice but to go over and consult, after he had originally waved the appeals away. Perhaps he should have taken a second to see what his Assistant thought, if he wasn't clear in his own mind. And if he was clear in his own mind, I'm not sure how he arrived at that decision.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 26 Nov 2016 19:35

Good result and entertaining game against a Bristol City side that gave there all.

If we are going to sit back and play on the break in the 2nd half when 2-0 up we need to be put one or more of the chances we create in the net to put the game to bed.

We should look as signing their number 9 in January if available.

MOTM - McShane

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Nov 2016 19:40

Good game, good 3 points. City are the best side we've played in recent weeks and so was good to keep hold of the points

Would have been more comfortable if we'd actually taken the couple of decent chances we created on the break in the second half but as ever decided to give them a late goal just to keep everything interesting. Please don't do that!

Generally thought everyone player well but that McShane was deserving of the MotM award.

Games now getting harder and a trip to ****** Fulham next week is something I'd rather not have, but then Reading owe them as Craven Cottage is the place our season crashed and burned last time round so let's hope the players are anxious to put things right. Moore will be missing through suspension but we should have adequate cover in Blackett unless Stam has the brilliant idea that that position will be perfect to return JVDB to the line up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Nov 2016 19:46

When Ali made his 'wonder save' there was a spontaneous standing ovation in the Eamon Dolan. Well deserved, he really is quite a keeper !

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Nov 2016 19:48

Good result especially as we had to dig in in the second half against a decent team.

McShane was excellent, a real Captains performance. Al Habsi's save in the first half rivals Shaka at Charlton as the best save I've seen live. Almost a shame the player was offside.

Brizzle fans were appalling, hardly a peep from them, other than some extremely ironic "you're support is oxf*rd shit" chants, until their goal.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 26 Nov 2016 19:50

We do ourselves no favours by losing the nerve to play the possession game when put under a bit of pressure. The defence doesn't want to drop deep to receive from Al-Habsi, so he has to kick long and we give away possession, usually resulting in another attack.

I hope Stam sticks with 3 at the back; possibly move Gunter into the back 3 and play Watson at wingback?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Nov 2016 20:16

RoyalBlue
But it wasn't a good example of them working together. Fortunately his assistant left him with no choice but to go over and consult, after he had originally waved the appeals away. Perhaps he should have taken a second to see what his Assistant thought, if he wasn't clear in his own mind. And if he was clear in his own mind, I'm not sure how he arrived at that decision.

Well it was, because they DID work together to get the decision right.
Clearly what happened was each official had a different view of the incident, the ref's view didn't look like a pen, but the Lino from a very different position saw an offence. I would guess the Lino hesitated slightly because he expected a whistle, when it didn't come he flagged and the decision was made.
Remind me what anyone got wrong ?

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 26 Nov 2016 20:26

Five wins on the bounce - Japp Stam doing a fantastic job -some quality players -exciting game today and still some of you on here spouting negative rubbish. Give me strength!

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 26 Nov 2016 20:36

What I'm struggling with is that you can still get 66/1 for us to win the league. I'm not saying we will (despite putting £50 down on top of the £50 I have at 100/1) but why are Brighton 5/1 and us 66/1 when there's only 4 points between us?

Stam has managed to string something together and sometimes that's all it takes in this league. Stranger things have happened.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2016 20:54

Scutterbucketz What I'm struggling with is that you can still get 66/1 for us to win the league. I'm not saying we will (despite putting £50 down on top of the £50 I have at 100/1) but why are Brighton 5/1 and us 66/1 when there's only 4 points between us?

Stam has managed to string something together and sometimes that's all it takes in this league. Stranger things have happened.

Probably because Brighton have been there or there 2 out of the last 3 seasons if memory serves!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Nov 2016 20:58

Scutterbucketz What I'm struggling with is that you can still get 66/1 for us to win the league. I'm not saying we will (despite putting £50 down on top of the £50 I have at 100/1) but why are Brighton 5/1 and us 66/1 when there's only 4 points between us?

Presumably they have looked at the head to head record between us and then ignored it ?

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 26 Nov 2016 21:01

Whatever it is, this is a tight league and we could win it. Much like we did in 2011. Anyone who's not religiously opposed to gambling should stick at least a tenner on it.
Last edited by Scutterbucketz on 26 Nov 2016 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 26 Nov 2016 21:01

Most entertaining game of the season. Enjoyed the peformances of both sides. McShane & Moore outstanding.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Nov 2016 21:03

Royal Ginger McShane was MOTM. Made some really crucial tackles. It was blood and guts stuff for most of the defence. I'm still not sure on Blackett.

Thoroughly enjoyed their no 2 having an Ian Harte gif moment on the corner of our box in the first half.

Sat at the other end, but the penatly looked a bit iffy from where I was. It'll be interesting to see the replay.

From the highlights it had a touch of the Shane Long's about it. Bit of contact, theatrical fall as if leg scythed out.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Nov 2016 21:12

Nameless When Ali made his 'wonder save' there was a spontaneous standing ovation in the Eamon Dolan. Well deserved, he really is quite a keeper !

I was up without realising it. I don't know how much he knew about it but that was as good as a 30 yard screamer.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Nov 2016 21:20

AAH 10 for that save -utter genius

Gunter 8 learning his role nicely
Obita 8 very good in attack
Moore 9 never hurried
McShane 7 given a runaround but the Chelsea boy-genius
Blackett 9 best game yet for us

Evans 7 quite good
Williams 9 the heart and soul of the team

Berens 9 what a goal!
Samuels 7 the best thing since Robin Friday, but he should try to learn from Abrahams toda
McCleary 8 nice and fast again

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Nov 2016 21:23

Zammo Most entertaining game of the season. Enjoyed the peformances of both sides. McShane & Moore outstanding.

Yep. Today should shut up those nonces who handed back their season tickets when Brian was sacked :P

We are a completely different team who can create something from nothing. The unpredictability when moving up the pitch is a joy to behold, compared to the previous predictable nonsense.

Extremely happy and this fluent style has been a long time coming

On to Fulham

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Nov 2016 21:24

Ps I'm not getting carried away, just entertained, as opposed to the last few years, as others have said, we have an IDENTITY

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 Nov 2016 21:27

Ian Royal
Royal Ginger McShane was MOTM. Made some really crucial tackles. It was blood and guts stuff for most of the defence. I'm still not sure on Blackett.

Thoroughly enjoyed their no 2 having an Ian Harte gif moment on the corner of our box in the first half.

Sat at the other end, but the penatly looked a bit iffy from where I was. It'll be interesting to see the replay.

From the highlights it had a touch of the Shane Long's about it. Bit of contact, theatrical fall as if leg scythed out.

There's nothing theatrical about it :| Both players running towards the ball, defender taps Samuel's trailing leg sending the foot into the back of the standing leg. At full pace that sends anyone down. It's the clearest penalty we'll probably see this season.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 26 Nov 2016 21:50

Scutterbucketz Whatever it is, this is a tight league and we could win it. Much like we did in 2011. Anyone who's not religiously opposed to gambling should stick at least a tenner on it.

We didn't win it 2011 :|

132 posts