Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG-Bristol city.

by BR0B0T » 27 Nov 2016 13:49

I'll assume we got a win on the terraces as well as the pitch #scorpians

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Nov 2016 14:32

Noticed yesterday the stewards spending a long time telling Y26 fans to sit down. I thought we'd moved on from all of this sh1t

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Nov 2016 14:44

marlowuk
NewCorkSeth for sure deliberate handball by Harriott at the end. They should have had a penalty.

I agree . I think he had his back to the ref but the lino should have spotted it. With regard to the Samuel 'penalty', I would only add that, as I recall, Dom did not appeal after falling which suggests he didn't dive. There is no point in diving and then not appealing for the foul!!

All in all, though, it was a very entertaining game and just a shame we didn't keep a 5th consecutive clean sheet. Like others I was impressed by Tammy Abraham in attack for them. Only 19 years old, 6' 4" and very skillful with the ball. I'm sure Chelsea will want to hang on to him for the future though!

We probably just deserved the win but no-one, I think, could have argued with a draw. Several Nobbers gave MOM to Paul McShane but one scored him equal lowest mark out of 10 for the whole team! Nothing much else to add to what others have said. Garath McCleary would be my MOM and AAH's time wasting was embarrassing!

It's a pity Fulham couldn't hold onto their half-time lead against Brighton. Let's hope they don't further punish us next Saturday like they did last year!

I don't actually think AAH was time wasting, it just takes him a while to make a decision.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Nov 2016 16:04

genome
SCIAG
Kitsondinho If it isn't a dive, it certainly isn't a foul. We'd (rightly) be furious if one was given against us like that. The touch on Samuel is minimal at best.....

If it isn't a dive, it has to be a penalty. Tripping an opponent is a foul, and there's no need for there to be any intent.

The only other possibility is that Samuel just happened to fall over as he crossed paths with the defender, which seems very unlikely.

I think that's exactly what happened. The Brizzle defender is just running forward after the ball, and Samuel cuts across him and gets his legs clipped and decides to go down.

I'm not complaining like, but it's not a penalty.

You're describing a trip. A trip is a foul. A foul in the area is a penalty. If you trip someone, the laws don't care whether you intended to do it.

Unless you're emphasising the "decides" to go down and the leg clip wouldn't have been enough to affect his run.

If Samuel tripped over his own legs, or slipped on a wet patch, then it wouldn't be a foul or a dive. But the law is very much on the attacker's side in this situation.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Nov 2016 16:10

It honestly looked like a dive at the match and the replays to me make it very inconclusive, still looks like a dive but I can find it believable that he might have inadvertently tripped Samuel and as SCIAG says, a trip is a foul whether intentional or not. Frankly, as many others have said, that's a penalty we'd all love to get and all hate to have given against us.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 27 Nov 2016 16:53

Words for the Meite song?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Nov 2016 17:01

sloughroyal123 Words for the Meite song?

We've got Meite
Yakou Meite
I just don't think you understand
Signed for free
From PSG
We've got Yakou Meite

I think.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Nov 2016 18:08

SCIAG You're describing a trip. A trip is a foul. A foul in the area is a penalty. If you trip someone, the laws don't care whether you intended to do it.

I would have thought there's a difference between tripping over somebody, and being tripped over by somebody.

Intent isn't in the rules any more, but there is the understanding that it's a foul if it's your fault that they tripped/you handled etc. If you leave a trailing leg, and someone goes over it, it's your fault, and therefore a pen. If someone just runs into you though, and there's nothing you could have done to prevent it, it shouldn't really be a foul.

Normally though, it happens so quickly that the ref can't really tell, and they end up guessing.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Nov 2016 18:29

Kitsondinho If it isn't a dive, it certainly isn't a foul. We'd (rightly) be furious if one was given against us like that. The touch on Samuel is minimal at best.....

Why does the "amount" of contact matter if it brings the player down? If it looks like a trip, and smells like a trip, it's a trip, and it's far easier to send a man tumbling to the floor uncontrollably if he's running at full pelt if you just tap the ankle, as Samuel is doing in this case. It's a foul, a clear foul, and therefore a penalty.

Law 12 states:-

A direct free kick [or penalty kick) is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges
jumps at
kicks or attempts to kick
pushes
strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
tackles or challenges
trips or attempts to trip

The defender was careless in allowing his feet to make contact with the attacker, thereby tripping him up. It's a penalty, clear as day, and I find it remarkable anybody would even contemplate arguing otherwise.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Nov 2016 18:41

SCIAG

If it isn't a dive, it has to be a penalty. Tripping an opponent is a foul, and there's no need for there to be any intent.

The only other possibility is that Samuel just happened to fall over as he crossed paths with the defender, which seems very unlikely.

There is a God (or a likeminded supporter!). Spot on, and from my vantage point in the EDS (unimpeded view almost at pitch level) the ankle deflection was absolutely clear. I was immediately calling for a penalty and was about to go mental when the asst ref put his flag up.

What hasn't been mentioned so far is the referee's view, the angle of which was very similar to mine but which was clearly impeded by a player running across the sightline of the incident at the moment of contact, hence seeming to want clarification from the asst. Between the two of them, it's the correct decision, and I'm not entirely sure why BCFC supporters are complaining given it's right in front of them and they benefited from a very similar decision in Brian McDermott's first match in charge in Dec 09!!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 27 Nov 2016 19:04

Classic game of two halves, first half we looked so good, second half pants and hanging on , I get the passing at all costs but not in our six yard box. Their number nine Abraham on loan from Chelsea was outstanding I thought , very raw , but worked his socks off....we should try and sign him !

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Nov 2016 23:11

CountryRoyal

We've got Meite
Yakou Meite
Signed for free
From PSG
We've got Yakou Meite

I think.

To the tune of cococabana?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2016 00:45

paultheroyal
CountryRoyal

We've got Meite
Yakou Meite
Signed for free
From PSG
We've got Yakou Meite

I think.

To the tune of cococabana?

"Don't take me home" from Euros.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 28 Nov 2016 10:59

muirinho
Westwood52 Samuel 4: Oh dear a weeks a long time in football

Seriously, were you actually there? Won the penalty, provided an outlet, did everything that could be asked of him except score

Yes, I was there and 4/10 is probably about right. Won virtually nothing in the air (1 out of 8 aerial challenges, and that one went directly to the opposition) and all this outlet providing you mentioned simply never happened. He had 16 touches in the entire game, which half were missed shots (2), giving possession away, and poor touches. Yes he did win the penalty, but along with rescuing possession on the centre line after his own bad control, that's his 4 marks. I have to ask you, were you actually there?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Nov 2016 11:05

2 games. 1 goal, 1 pen won.
thatll do me.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Nov 2016 11:10

ladida_gunner_graham
muirinho

Seriously, were you actually there? Won the penalty, provided an outlet, did everything that could be asked of him except score

Yes, I was there and 4/10 is probably about right. Won virtually nothing in the air (1 out of 8 aerial challenges, and that one went directly to the opposition) and all this outlet providing you mentioned simply never happened. He had 16 touches in the entire game, which half were missed shots (2), giving possession away, and poor touches. Yes he did win the penalty, but along with rescuing possession on the centre line after his own bad control, that's his 4 marks. I have to ask you, were you actually there?

Yeah I was. If other scores hadn't been so outrageous, I probably would have defended Samuel less - it just seemed like the OP was looking for reasons to be negative about virtually everybody.
He's not Tammy Abraham, but even if he doesn't actually win the ball , he had to be marked closely the whole time, which created space for others. They know he has pace, they can't afford to take their eye off him.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 28 Nov 2016 12:44

ladida_gunner_graham
muirinho

Did we win?
Did his positioning create goal opportunities for other players?
How many games has he started?
Is your claim to fame that you can count.
Are you a Reading Supporter?

What's your stats for Yann then?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Nov 2016 17:29

With regard to the penalty. Even if the trip was accidental by the laws of the game it is still a penalty. A foul is a foul whether accidental or not.

But my main reason for writing is to comment about some of our pathetic fans. I was in East Stand and a guy near me would just not stop berating Gunter. He constantly screamed at Gunter all match saying how crap he was. But it really got almost hilarious when in the second half Gunter was totally upended by a Bristol player and the ref gave a foul. At which the "fan" screamed. "Gunter you really are shit - any decent player would have got out of the way of that." At that point I felt like thumping him, but restrained myself and just gave him an icy glare. Really..... I thought Gunter was pretty decent myself.

On a positive note - 5 on the bounce. Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 28 Nov 2016 21:36

windermere_royal if only we had a player like their number 9 in our line up.

I think their number 20 on the right was a handful.

biff

by biff » 28 Nov 2016 23:04

Harriott very very lucky with that handball. what the oxf*rd was he thinking

132 posts