Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by Brogue » 13 Mar 2023 10:35

i think I'm the only one who actually doesn't mind Dai, yeah he's made mistakes and been a bit naive at times. But he saved the club. The thai's couldn't afford to keep us going, they were desperate to find a buyer. He's paid for our training ground and invested heavily in playing staff (too much obvs). We could have had a far worse owner. Dai IN

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Mar 2023 10:37

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 I suppose the logic here is if he has a club with hundreds of millions of debt, Dai can find a buyer and have hundreds of millions of £, shouldn't matter if his assets are frozen in China as the club operate in England.

Exactly what I meant.

Ah right ok I'm with you, I was confused with the investing part as I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to if his assets were frozen but yeah if they are in different countries then fair enough.

That didn't work for Abramovich though, did it? When he got sanctioned, Chelsea were put under incredibly strict rules that meant, for example, that they couldn't afford to fly up to games in Newcastle or Manchester, and it forced him to sell the club without seeing any of the proceeds of the sale.

If - as a for instance - China invaded Taiwan, I would expect something similar to happen and we would be in deep trouble.......

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Mar 2023 10:39

Brogue i think I'm the only one who actually doesn't mind Dai, yeah he's made mistakes and been a bit naive at times. But he saved the club. The thai's couldn't afford to keep us going, they were desperate to find a buyer. He's paid for our training ground and invested heavily in playing staff (too much obvs). We could have had a far worse owner. Dai IN

+1 from me.

There are certainly worse owners out there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 10:41

Mr Angry
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Exactly what I meant.

Ah right ok I'm with you, I was confused with the investing part as I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to if his assets were frozen but yeah if they are in different countries then fair enough.

That didn't work for Abramovich though, did it? When he got sanctioned, Chelsea were put under incredibly strict rules that meant, for example, that they couldn't afford to fly up to games in Newcastle or Manchester, and it forced him to sell the club without seeing any of the proceeds of the sale.

If - as a for instance - China invaded Taiwan, I would expect something similar to happen and we would be in deep trouble.......

Depends where the sanctions are. You're talking about sanctions on him from the UK for China invading Taiwan. Which is very different to him falling foul of Xi and being sanctioned by China.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Mar 2023 10:46

Snowflake Royal
Mr Angry
YorkshireRoyal99

Depends where the sanctions are. You're talking about sanctions on him from the UK for China invading Taiwan. Which is very different to him falling foul of Xi and being sanctioned by China.

plus not all russians were sanctioned. Just the ones close to putin. How close is dai to Xi Jinping?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 10:47

Mr Angry
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Exactly what I meant.

That's what I thought originally, but it's been explained above I think.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 13 Mar 2023 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Mar 2023 10:56

Hendo
Brogue i think I'm the only one who actually doesn't mind Dai, yeah he's made mistakes and been a bit naive at times. But he saved the club. The thai's couldn't afford to keep us going, they were desperate to find a buyer. He's paid for our training ground and invested heavily in playing staff (too much obvs). We could have had a far worse owner. Dai IN

+1 from me.

+1

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Mar 2023 13:13

Millsy
Hendo

+1 from me.

+1

+2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 13:20

No accounting low standards.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 13 Mar 2023 16:26

I still find it odd that he's never sat down for an interview and sold anyone his vision for the club. All we've seen is mismanagement at the highest levels, and narrowly avoiding relegation to the third division for the last few years as a result. I've no idea who he is, what his intentions are, or whether he's good for the club or not.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2023 17:07

One8Seven1*

I still find it odd that he's never sat down for an interview and sold anyone his vision for the club. All we've seen is mismanagement at the highest levels, and narrowly avoiding relegation to the third division for the last few years as a result. I've no idea who he is, what his intentions are, or whether he's good for the club or not.

The important thing is whether he's learned from his mistakes.

When (if?) we get our transfer embargo lifted, will he try to build the club slowly, or will it just be another round of chucking money at a bunch of overrated players in the hope we'll go up?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 17:11

tmesis
One8Seven1*

The important thing is whether he's learned from his mistakes.

When (if?) we get our transfer embargo lifted, will he try to build the club slowly, or will it just be another round of chucking money at a bunch of overrated players in the hope we'll go up?

Ooo ooo!

I think I know this one.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Mar 2023 14:34

Hendo

+1 from me.

Sure - a sense of perspective is worthwhile and yes, you could always be worse off. But Srsly? Yeh he's a petty thief but he's not a murderer sort of stuff.

I think as fans we need to at least aspire to higher standards, otherwise we might as well just pack up and go home.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2023 15:18

Green
Hendo

+1 from me.

Sure - a sense of perspective is worthwhile and yes, you could always be worse off. But Srsly? Yeh he's a petty thief but he's not a murderer sort of stuff.

I think as fans we need to at least aspire to higher standards, otherwise we might as well just pack up and go home.

He put in more money than almost any other owner in the Championship has done ever. he installed a CEO of the club who had previously been CEO of Chelsea at the peak of their powers, and dealt with an owner wishing to throw money at the squad to achieve results. Chelsea won the PL. Not unreasonable of Mr Dai to think Ron Gourlay was the exact right man for the job.

Player recruitment under Gourlay was a nightmare. Had the recruitment management under Gourlay done its job better Reading could and should have been promoted with the money thrown at the project. That Mr Dai delegated this down to someone with Gourlay's CV is totally understandable.

I think Dai made sensible decisions that in hindsight turned out to be terrible.

There is another world where Gourlay used his experience in football to get the correct player recruitment in, signed a great bunch of hard working players with the budget available and Reading sail into the PL at the first attempt under Gourlay.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Mar 2023 19:37

Results business, buck stops with the top man.

Every sympathy etc, but even if Gourlay is the main culprit maybe we need someone who doesn't suffer fools so gladly.

If it was your club what would you have done?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Mar 2023 20:54

Greatwesternline
Green
Hendo
+1 from me.

He put in more money than almost any other owner in the Championship has done ever. he installed a CEO of the club who had previously been CEO of Chelsea at the peak of their powers, and dealt with an owner wishing to throw money at the squad to achieve results. Chelsea won the PL. Not unreasonable of Mr Dai to think Ron Gourlay was the exact right man for the job.

Player recruitment under Gourlay was a nightmare. Had the recruitment management under Gourlay done its job better Reading could and should have been promoted with the money thrown at the project. That Mr Dai delegated this down to someone with Gourlay's CV is totally understandable.

I think Dai made sensible decisions that in hindsight turned out to be terrible.

There is another world where Gourlay used his experience in football to get the correct player recruitment in, signed a great bunch of hard working players with the budget available and Reading sail into the PL at the first attempt under Gourlay.

All fair enough points, but then how do you explain his ownership of Beijing Renhe and KSV Roeselare, two clubs who now no longer exist? Particularly with the latter "mirroring" what we've done in the Championship, thrown an obscene amount of money at a second division side in order to get promoted but ultimately failed?

More money that Dai has spent recklessly in order to try and win promotion and it didn't work before being declared bankrupt and Beijing Renhe plummeted to the third tier of Chinese football before being dissolved.

This is now the third club where their complete mismanagement has lead to failure, so it's not like you can put this down to just recruitment that didn't work out, there is an obvious pattern that, where Dai and co are involved, clubs fail.

So yeah, thanks Dai for saving the club, building a new training ground, willingness to invest and all of that, but you've now made us a prime example of how not to run a football club, riddled us with over £100m worth of debt and potentially facing relegation to the third tier of English football, not to mention the Chinese government no longer encouraging investment in overseas sports. I doubt we are an easy sell, but if someone can come along and do that I'd support it.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 15 Mar 2023 01:43

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 08:47

That told me absolutely nothing any of us didn’t know. And the blokes voice was incredible annoying.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Mar 2023 14:12

I hope there's a genuine football owner who wants to buy us who loves the game and knows how to run the club. We should be an attractive club as there's a lot of potential. There's not many clubs who have potential; Bristol City, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff and Bradford who could be much higher up in the football system with fan base or catchment area

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 19 Mar 2023 20:54

Luton airport, Lear Jet, Cocaine drugs arrest. All will become clear soon.

948 posts