Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Mar 2023 22:31

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8xxJxey2U

This is worth a watch. Saw a similar analysis of Derby from this guy

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Mar 2023 07:16

Royal_jimmy I hope there's a genuine football owner who wants to buy us who loves the game and knows how to run the club. We should be an attractive club as there's a lot of potential. There's not many clubs who have potential; Bristol City, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff and Bradford who could be much higher up in the football system with fan base or catchment area

Not sure how any of those clubs have any relevance to us, as they all have larger fanbases. We potentially should be much larger due to the catchment area, but that’s about it. What’s so special about Reading anymore? Our only previous selling point was being well run. Now we’re run shambolically. Our away support is League 1 standard, our home support is becoming League 1 standard. It’s just a mess. All down to Dai

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Mar 2023 07:28

Notts Royal
Royal_jimmy I hope there's a genuine football owner who wants to buy us who loves the game and knows how to run the club. We should be an attractive club as there's a lot of potential. There's not many clubs who have potential; Bristol City, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff and Bradford who could be much higher up in the football system with fan base or catchment area

Not sure how any of those clubs have any relevance to us, as they all have larger fanbases. We potentially should be much larger due to the catchment area, but that’s about it. What’s so special about Reading anymore? Our only previous selling point was being well run. Now we’re run shambolically. Our away support is League 1 standard, our home support is becoming League 1 standard. It’s just a mess. All down to Dai

Catchment area isn’t all that for Reading though as you go a bit south you’ve got Southampton and everywhere else is compromised by the likes of being able to get to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc. so until Reading start getting back to at least playing entertaining football who on earth is likely to prioritise a trip to RG2 over consistent PL football (or at least likely continual top end Champonship football in the worst case with Soton).

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Mar 2023 08:45

Sutekh
Notts Royal

Catchment area isn’t all that for Reading though as you go a bit south you’ve got Southampton and everywhere else is compromised by the likes of being able to get to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc. so until Reading start getting back to at least playing entertaining football who on earth is likely to prioritise a trip to RG2 over consistent PL football (or at least likely continual top end Champonship football in the worst case with Soton).

Yeah kids just aren’t growing up as Reading fans. I’ve fought tooth and nail to get my daughter (10) to support Reading. When I ask her if any of her classmates go to Reading games she says no they all support city utd Liverpool Arsenal or Chelsea. Nothing new I know but it is frustrating. Reading supporting parents should be forcing their children to support Reading. And any talk of supporting another team should be met with a slipper to the backside :evil:

elrey

by elrey » 20 Mar 2023 08:57

Brogue
Sutekh
Notts Royal

Yeah kids just aren’t growing up as Reading fans. I’ve fought tooth and nail to get my daughter (10) to support Reading. When I ask her if any of her classmates go to Reading games she says no they all support city utd Liverpool Arsenal or Chelsea. Nothing new I know but it is frustrating. Reading supporting parents should be forcing their children to support Reading. And any talk of supporting another team should be met with a slipper to the backside :evil:

We'll probably end up like Spain where everyone from Spain Spain supports Real or Barca. Only good support is from the areas that want independence or have an identity like the Basque Country, Galicia, Andalucia etc.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 09:14

Sutekh
Notts Royal

We are primed place to pick up players from those clubs who won't make it at that level but would be more than capable for us. What, 45 minutes outside of London? The best club in our respective area (better than Oxford and Swindon) and some very good facilities for where we are.

What would put me off is the state of how the club is being run. There are many, many reasons why Reading would be a good football club to play at. We basically stand on our own in our area at the minute.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Mar 2023 09:37

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
Notts Royal

We are primed place to pick up players from those clubs who won't make it at that level but would be more than capable for us. What, 45 minutes outside of London? The best club in our respective area (better than Oxford and Swindon) and some very good facilities for where we are.

What would put me off is the state of how the club is being run. There are many, many reasons why Reading would be a good football club to play at. We basically stand on our own in our area at the minute.

Being close to London is a bit of a redundant comment for me as you can’t get a ticket to watch those Premier League clubs. Southampton is a good hour or so away. Contrast to the North West/Midlands where you’ve got areas saturated with clubs.

The state of how the club is being run is the primary reason why fans are staying away. We used to get a good 17k in the pre-Prem years, as we were well run and on an upward-trajectory. Granted the splitting of the south stand has contributed to lower away attendances, but that’s not as big a contributor as other things

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Mar 2023 10:03

Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

Being close to London is a bit of a redundant comment for me as you can’t get a ticket to watch those Premier League clubs. Southampton is a good hour or so away. Contrast to the North West/Midlands where you’ve got areas saturated with clubs.

The state of how the club is being run is the primary reason why fans are staying away. We used to get a good 17k in the pre-Prem years, as we were well run and on an upward-trajectory. Granted the splitting of the south stand has contributed to lower away attendances, but that’s not as big a contributor as other things

We lost a lot of fans during covid that haven’t come back because we are so shit. That’s been the problem.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2023 10:09

If we were playing well and near the top of the table, no one would give a monkeys about how the club was ‘being run’

We’ve been awful for about a decade, bar one bizarre season when we made 3rd despite being near unwatchable at times.

Obvs that goes hand in hand to an extent with some rubbish ownership and decision making

Like said elsewhere when the powers that be make the division a uncompetitive waste of time that also doesn’t help

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 10:14

Yeah ultimately results make the difference. P.Ince was capable towards the back end of the year when we were near the play offs, now he's clueless and doesn't have a clue. I always knew that was coming, I don't think he will ever shake that stigma off whilst he's with us.

Arsenal fans couldn't stand Kroenke before and now you don't hear much of it now they are winning games and at the top of the league. Fans just want teams to be successful and winning games and look for people to blame when they don't. Usually it starts with the manager, then once they've gone it becomes the board.

I do think Dai is a bad owner personally and the responsibility of us failing so badly in the last 4/5 years rests on his head as much as anyone's, but I just want to see the team winning games again and being a generally pretty successful side. But sometimes, it will not be enough for certain fans.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2023 12:32

Hound If we were playing well and near the top of the table, no one would give a monkeys about how the club was ‘being run’

We’ve been awful for about a decade, bar one bizarre season when we made 3rd despite being near unwatchable at times.

Obvs that goes hand in hand to an extent with some rubbish ownership and decision making

Like said elsewhere when the powers that be make the division a uncompetitive waste of time that also doesn’t help

I did

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2023 12:42

Snowflake Royal
Hound If we were playing well and near the top of the table, no one would give a monkeys about how the club was ‘being run’

I did

You’re a special case

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2023 16:12

Hound
Snowflake Royal

I did

You’re a special case

Always sweetheart.

I'm a visionary. A genius lacking in the recognition I deserve.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2023 17:23

Definitely lacking something

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2023 17:24

The respect of others. 8)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Mar 2023 08:59

Snowflake Royal The respect of others. 8)

+1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Mar 2023 14:46

Brogue
Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

We lost a lot of fans during covid that haven’t come back because we are so shit. That’s been the problem.

Not just then, the appointment of a succession abject managers has been the death of the club. JM had his faults but at least generally got the managers right. Think Bullivant was the only call he got wrong while Burns was the sort of right idea but just at totally the wrong time.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Mar 2023 23:14

Brogue
Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

We were good during Covid haha that was our best season since 16/17

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Mar 2023 09:22

Notts Royal
Brogue
Notts Royal

We were good during Covid haha that was our best season since 16/17

It’s frustrating as we had a period where we had Richards, Ejaria, Olise and Joao all playing great, the team winning and being generally entertaining (games like Blackburn away, Bournemouth at home) and nobody could turn up at watch the bloody thing

Shame as that’s the best we’ve been since Clarke’s spell

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2023 13:58

Most annoying thing was we were good for just long enough that I had to concede Paunovic wasn't awful, only for him to immediately flip and starting trying to prove that he was.

948 posts