Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by CountryRoyal » 06 Jun 2018 01:29

Can’t wait til we sign Gary Madine for £10m.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 07 Jun 2018 10:49

So regarding the Aston Villa debacle, can anyone confirm where the funds and running capital for Reading are located?

Do we have holding companies based in mainland China?

This seems to be a pivotal issue for Chinese owners/investors

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jun 2018 12:48

Linden Jones' Tash So regarding the Aston Villa debacle, can anyone confirm where the funds and running capital for Reading are located?

Doesn't Dai Xiu Li have a British passport, or is married to a Brit? Which might make things easier.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Jun 2018 14:11

She lives in Croydon

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jun 2018 14:16

Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash So regarding the Aston Villa debacle, can anyone confirm where the funds and running capital for Reading are located?

Doesn't Dai Xiu Li have a British passport, or is married to a Brit? Which might make things easier.

yeah married to a Brit, not sure on status

to be fair as well, the amounts they have put into Reading are dwarfed by the money chucked away at Villa

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jun 2018 15:14

Stranded

They got divorced in 2014 but she's lived in Britain since the early 90's. She got a 21 year old son called William. I would imagine she's got duel citizenship.

If you search Forbes for Xiu Li Hawken, she's listed as British although, I'm not sure how up to date it is because she's listed as still married.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2023 11:05

Anyone starting to hope he sells up soon?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2023 12:03

Starting!? For about the last 3 years.

Wakey wakey.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2023 12:58

Royal_jimmy Anyone starting to hope he sells up soon?

The club won’t be easy to sell given he sold the ground to himself, so even if able to find someone with the necessary vast amount of funding they’ll need to be happy to negotiate for two elements of the club at the same time.

And when China invades Taiwan and everyone decides anything even vaguely Chinese related is effectively persona non grata then the club is going to be right up a certain creek.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Mar 2023 13:36

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy Anyone starting to hope he sells up soon?

The club won’t be easy to sell given he sold the ground to himself, so even if able to find someone with the necessary vast amount of funding they’ll need to be happy to negotiate for two elements of the club at the same time.

And when China invades Taiwan and everyone decides anything even vaguely Chinese related is effectively persona non grata then the club is going to be right up a certain creek.

Three if you include the Training Ground as well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2023 14:33

Training ground plus whatever debt we have to him. It's going to be a dog's dinner when he eventually sells up

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Mar 2023 14:40

If the Chinese wanted to just get rid of us they'd put us in administration and walk away, just feel they want out but want some return on their investment, it's why they show no interest in paying off debt, that's just more money they can get back when they sell the club and the best way to get their money back? Get us in the Premier League but they're not very good at that either so eventually I think they will just cut their losses and sell at a loss or go down the administration route.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Mar 2023 15:47

They won't go down the administration route; that would mean losing face (which is a big no no in Chinese culture).

The owner will look to recoup as much as possible with a sale, but as that would inevitably involve the sale of the stadium and training facilities as well as the shell of the club (no-one in their right mind would buy a football cliub WITHOUT those key infrastructure assets), the only way they can hope to divest themselves of the club is by making a loss.

Personally, I hope that a buyer can be found - maybe in conjunction with the Council - to safeguard the club.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Mar 2023 21:41

Given that most (all?) of the debt is to the owner, Administration wouldn't really help him in any way.

I'd also suggest that seeing as he's already folded two of the three clubs he's owned, he's not that concerned about losing face.

elrey

by elrey » 13 Mar 2023 05:43

Mr Angry They won't go down the administration route; that would mean losing face (which is a big no no in Chinese culture).

The owner will look to recoup as much as possible with a sale, but as that would inevitably involve the sale of the stadium and training facilities as well as the shell of the club (no-one in their right mind would buy a football cliub WITHOUT those key infrastructure assets), the only way they can hope to divest themselves of the club is by making a loss.

Personally, I hope that a buyer can be found - maybe in conjunction with the Council - to safeguard the club.

Problem is he owned Beijing Renhe (among other names) and a club in Belgium, neither of which exist today, they went bankrupt. I doubt many in China have heard of Reading, and I doubt he'd lose much face.

The problems will come when he "disappears".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 08:34

I imagine we're a nice security blanket to pour money into out of China just incase he has to leave and has his assets frozen.

Sell up, get his money back and he's got a solid hundred million or two plus anything else he's squirrelled away.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 08:49

Snowflake Royal I imagine we're a nice security blanket to pour money into out of China just incase he has to leave and has his assets frozen.

Sell up, get his money back and he's got a solid hundred million or two plus anything else he's squirrelled away.

If his assets were frozen would that not mean us as well?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Mar 2023 09:21

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I imagine we're a nice security blanket to pour money into out of China just incase he has to leave and has his assets frozen.

I suppose the logic here is if he has a club with hundreds of millions of debt, Dai can find a buyer and have hundreds of millions of £, shouldn't matter if his assets are frozen in China as the club operate in England.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 09:29

tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99

I suppose the logic here is if he has a club with hundreds of millions of debt, Dai can find a buyer and have hundreds of millions of £, shouldn't matter if his assets are frozen in China as the club operate in England.

Exactly what I meant.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 10:28

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99

Exactly what I meant.

Ah right ok I'm with you, I was confused with the investing part as I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to if his assets were frozen but yeah if they are in different countries then fair enough.

948 posts