brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The romance of the cup

by brighton_royal » 05 Dec 2016 21:37

leon
brighton_royal
LWJ Hi m8,

see you there?!?!

Would saw my arm off to go. Doubt I'd get a ticket nowadays though. If I do I'll be flying up I recks, depends on the date.

I'd be well up for this, except mrs leon is probably working and a weekend getting battered up North would cause all manner of domestic grief.

See you at Heathrow m8. You know it makes sense.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Dec 2016 21:37

genome
Sutekh What an utterly crap tie to get.

Royal Ginger Oh well, cup over.

wingnut Arse. No cup run this year then

:|

And another plus one.

Are these people actually supporters?

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 05 Dec 2016 21:59

LWJ
brighton_royal
genome

+1.

Not as if we had a chance of winning the cup anyway , and in any case we are a beautiful blue and white banana skin for United. Will be epic.

Hi m8,

see you there?!?!

In for this. Anyone fancy meating up?........

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 Dec 2016 22:06

paultheroyal
genome
Sutekh What an utterly crap tie to get.

Royal Ginger Oh well, cup over.

wingnut Arse. No cup run this year then

And another plus one.

I find it difficult to believe that Reading will beat Manchester United. If you want to get upset by that, I'm really quite ok with that. Have a wonderful evening.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Dec 2016 22:10

Royal Ginger
paultheroyal
genome

And another plus one.

I find it difficult to believe that Reading will beat Manchester United. If you want to get upset by that, I'm really quite ok with that. Have a wonderful evening.

Whose upset? I am not upset. Cup run is over for you. You sound down about it.

Evening decent, thank you x

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Dec 2016 22:51

Guaranteed big income game, as guaranteed a televised match as they come, an extra frisson added by Stam's return, and on top of all that, Utd are about as bobbins as they've been in literally decades and even when they were great they occasionally slipped up in an early round, so this is certainly winnable, even if it remains very tough. We'll make as much from this one game as we would playing Huddersfield twice, and then some.

I don't really see what the downside is.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Dec 2016 23:13

I've watched most of the recent United games since they got battered by Chelsea.

Most of the performances where they drew through conceding late goal were
pretty similar to those in which they battered the teams by a couple of goals.

Arsenal, Everton, Wham, Burnley* & Stoke should have all resulted in 3 points but
they oxf*rd it up late on in the game.

They're going to have to take this cup srsly as Jose needs to win something or at
the very least have a decent run in the cup comps.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Dec 2016 02:15

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal United away and night out in Manchester?

What's not to like?

(beyond maybe running into my ex)

What's his name lol jk x

Anna.

Always thought that was a weird name for a bloke.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Dec 2016 07:14

Can't help but think that there are so many Reading fans who are so joyless, cynical and pessimistic I wonder why they actually support Reading and even watch sport, can't be much fun.

I have no affiliation or particular likeness for Man United (or any PL club), however I do think that part of the "magic of the cup" is getting drawn against some unknown team, it's exciting to see who we'll get. I'm glad we got Man United rather than say Preston, Huddersfield, etc... or another club in our league.

As it turns out:

we are playing one of the biggest clubs in the world
against one of the most famous coaches
Jaap Stam is going back to Old Trafford
We will have a large allocation so anyone who wants a ticket is going to get one
it's a decent night out if that's your thing
We actually have a half decent chance of beating them with the way things have been over the last few years

I think fans and supporters just need to take the cup for what it is, a fantastic competition, and not get so bogged down in being negative. So all this "Oh that's us out", "What a sh*t draw, I'm out", attitude is just being a fun hover.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 06 Dec 2016 07:33

bobby1413 Can't help but think that there are so many Reading fans who are so joyless, cynical and pessimistic I wonder why they actually support Reading and even watch sport, can't be much fun.

I have no affiliation or particular likeness for Man United (or any PL club), however I do think that part of the "magic of the cup" is getting drawn against some unknown team, it's exciting to see who we'll get. I'm glad we got Man United rather than say Preston, Huddersfield, etc... or another club in our league.

As it turns out:

We will have a large allocation so anyone who wants a ticket is going to get one
We actually have a half decent chance of beating them with the way things have been over the last few years

I think fans and supporters just need to take the cup for what it is, a fantastic competition, and not get so bogged down in being negative. So all this "Oh that's us out", "What a sh*t draw, I'm out", attitude is just being a fun hover.

This, really. We've had something like 5 years of drawing championship sides
I wont be going, though.

Do we know the televised games yet? This would appear to be a contender.

George_

by George_ » 06 Dec 2016 07:57

bobby1413 Can't help but think that there are so many Reading fans who are so joyless, cynical and pessimistic I wonder why they actually support Reading and even watch sport, can't be much fun.

As it turns out:

+1 to all of this.

George_

by George_ » 06 Dec 2016 07:59

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Do we know the televised games yet? This would appear to be a contender.

United have had every FA Cup round televised for like the last 12 years. Can't see that changing for this.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Dec 2016 08:51

That's the 4th time we've drawn them in the cup that I can remember. 1996, 2007, 2013 & 2017. We draw them as often as West Brom. Who says we always get bad draws?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 06 Dec 2016 09:04

brighton_royal
LWJ
brighton_royal
+1.

Not as if we had a chance of winning the cup anyway , and in any case we are a beautiful blue and white banana skin for United. Will be epic.

Hi m8,

see you there?!?!

Would saw my arm off to go. Doubt I'd get a ticket nowadays though. If I do I'll be flying up I recks, depends on the date.

I can probably sort you out if you struggle. How many points you got, like 50? :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2016 09:05

As it turns out:

Agreed. Imagine turning your nose up at playing one of the biggest clubs in the world. We're Reading ffs

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Dec 2016 09:07

LWJ
brighton_royal
LWJ Hi m8,

see you there?!?!

I can probably sort you out if you struggle. How many points you got, like 50? :lol:

it won't sell out

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Dec 2016 10:02

genome

As it turns out:

Agreed. Imagine turning your nose up at playing one of the biggest clubs in the world. We're Reading ffs

Thought we were playing Man United.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2016 10:17

sandman
genome

Thought we were playing Man United.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Dec 2016 10:43

Royal Ginger I find it difficult to believe that Reading will beat Manchester United.
I agree it will be difficult but not impossible - Upsets do happen in the cup and Manchester United are not immune:

Man Utd 0 Leeds 1
Third round, January 2010

Burton Albion 0 Man Utd 0
Third round, January 2006

Man Utd 3 Oldham 3 (aet)
Semi-final, April 1990

Bournemouth 2 Man Utd 0
Third round, January 1984

138 posts