Liam Kelly

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Liam Kelly

by Will95 » 26 Jan 2017 09:35

The only bad thing about Kelly is that I went to school with someone who will make in three weeks what I make in a year. He's been bloody excellent since breaking into the starting 11. Deserves every credit coming his way.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Jan 2017 09:51

TBM
Ian Royal Showing Kuhl how to make the transition right now. Though Kuhl looked very good under Adkins.

I heard his attitude changed as soon as he "made it" - thinking he was Berty Big Bollocks

Kuhl had a few reasonably good games in a poor team, whereas Kelly has been much more impressive in a winning team. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2017 19:20

Royalwaster
TBM
Ian Royal Showing Kuhl how to make the transition right now. Though Kuhl looked very good under Adkins.

I heard his attitude changed as soon as he "made it" - thinking he was Berty Big Bollocks

Kuhl had a few reasonably good games in a poor team, whereas Kelly has been much more impressive in a winning team. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

+1.

Exactly what I was going to say.
Kuhl looked ok in a poor team, Kelly has hd a very positive impact in a good team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jan 2017 20:33

Mostly agree, but iirc when Kuhl got most of his games we were knocking around upper midtable. It was only once everyone came back from injury etc we nosedived and Adkins got sacked.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2017 21:07

I don't remember him standing out. He was one of a number of youngsters thrown into the first team and arguably Jake Taylor was the standout with a couple of goals.

I'm not dismissing Kuhl, but as captain of a very promising group of young players, he was hyped to buggery.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jan 2017 21:17

From Despair To Where? I don't remember him standing out. He was one of a number of youngsters thrown into the first team and arguably Jake Taylor was the standout with a couple of goals.

I'm not dismissing Kuhl, but as captain of a very promising group of young players, he was hyped to buggery.

This is my recollection as well. There was a lot of talk because he didn't seem out of place, and he was only 18. But he didn't actually do much. No goal-saving tackles that we all remember, no assists, no goals. Not at Boreham Wood or Dundee Utd either. And it's one thing not getting them in the Championship, but if you're not getting them in the National League, then that says something.

Neat and tidy passer, but is that enough? Like Norwood but without dead-ball skills...

Still not dismissing him - he's only 21 the end of this month - but you'd wonder, if he's not getting gametime at Boreham Wood, where do you go to from there?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Jan 2017 21:24

The hype around players in our academy is so cyclical, and usually doesn't correlate towards who eventually 'makes it' at the club or elsewhere.

In the past few years, the following players have all been billed as 'the next big thing' at some point:

Craig Tanner
Jake Cooper
Aaron Kuhl
Jake Taylor
Ryan Edwards
Jack Stacey
Pierce Sweeney
Liam Kelly
Dom Samuel
Jordan Obita
Dan Lincoln
Tariq Fosu
Aaron Tshibola

Some of them will have a successful career due to their talent, and others will enjoy a decent career due to a bit of luck. Some will fall in obscurity, and others will spend their time around the 4/5th tier enjoying a decent pay packet at a very decent level for the common man.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is there are plenty of factors behind a player becoming successful or not, we just have to wait and see.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Jan 2017 23:42

WAZZOCK The hype around players in our academy is so cyclical, and usually doesn't correlate towards who eventually 'makes it' at the club or elsewhere.

In the past few years, the following players have all been billed as 'the next big thing' at some point:

Craig Tanner
Jake Cooper
Aaron Kuhl
Jake Taylor
Ryan Edwards
Jack Stacey
Pierce Sweeney
Liam Kelly
Dom Samuel
Jordan Obita
Dan Lincoln
Tariq Fosu
Aaron Tshibola

Some of them will have a successful career due to their talent, and others will enjoy a decent career due to a bit of luck. Some will fall in obscurity, and others will spend their time around the 4/5th tier enjoying a decent pay packet at a very decent level for the common man.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is there are plenty of factors behind a player becoming successful or not, we just have to wait and see.

Wise words err Wassock.