This season compared with last season

Edelston & Brice

This season compared with last season

by Edelston & Brice » 28 Jan 2017 18:35

We now have 52 points from 28 games - the same total as achieved from a full season of 46 games last year. What Jaap Stam has achieved, in the face of all the ownership uncertainty and not knowing whether transfer funds are available or not, is really quite remarkable.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: This season compared with last season

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2017 19:08

Not only that, but we've won more than 8 home league games for the first time in four years! And we've got plenty to play

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Jan 2017 19:46

But bubble will burst and normal league position will return.

#falseposition

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2017 20:12

27 points clear of relegation. Starting to think we can avoid the drop.....

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 28 Jan 2017 20:50

Thing is this team hasn't yet captured the imagination both from crowd numbers or atmosphere. If only both were as good as the team.

A new striker would probably complete the team and give us a real chance of doing something against the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wed in the playoffs. Push the boat and roll the dice RFC, Jaap deserves it.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Jan 2017 22:06

Passion, heart and commitment. Key differences.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jan 2017 23:03

Pat Butchers Ring A new striker would probably complete the team

Nah. There'll be more ahead changes before the finished team emerges.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2017 07:12

Obviously Jaap and his team have done a superb job so far.

It'd be interesting to review what exactly has changed. It seems the spirit is so much better, and just having a philosophy and having the guts to stick with it are two major factors

Personallu I think losing Norwood was a big blessing in disguise. I thought the midfield of him and Williams last season was awful, and so much more dynamic this season.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 29 Jan 2017 08:46

You're right, PBR - Stam certainly deserves it. The problem is - who is Reading FC? Who makes the decisions? Madejski? The Thais? The Chinese? Howe? Someone else? Nobody seems to know - and to have a team sitting 3rd in the league in all these circumstances reflects huge credit on the manager. One question to be feared is for how long he will put up with all the uncertainty.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2017 09:29

Lower West
Pat Butchers Ring A new striker would probably complete the team

Nah. There'll be more ahead changes before the finished team emerges.

After the last couple of games I'd say we rather desperately need a central defender on loan from somewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jan 2017 10:03

Edelston & Brice You're right, PBR - Stam certainly deserves it. The problem is - who is Reading FC? Who makes the decisions? Madejski? The Thais? The Chinese? Howe? Someone else? Nobody seems to know - and to have a team sitting 3rd in the league in all these circumstances reflects huge credit on the manager. One question to be feared is for how long he will put up with all the uncertainty.

It seems pretty clear that since last summer the key people have been Tiger, Brian and Jaap.
Not sure why that should be unclear.
Currently we are speculating that there is possible Chinese input but that's based on circumstantial evidence at best.
The good news is that decisions are being made (Kelly, McLeary, Illori, Popa (?) ) and we aren't touting round players to raise cash. Whether thee are other decisions that are not being made we don't know but frankly I don't think things are much different to what they have been for a number of years, even pre Anton to some degree when SJM stopped writing cheques.

Agree with the general consensus that Jaap comes out of the situation extremely well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 10:37

Hound Obviously Jaap and his team have done a superb job so far.

It'd be interesting to review what exactly has changed. It seems the spirit is so much better, and just having a philosophy and having the guts to stick with it are two major factors

Personallu I think losing Norwood was a big blessing in disguise. I thought the midfield of him and Williams last season was awful, and so much more dynamic this season.

Norwood would have fit this style quite well, so I don't think so. Kelly seems his equal though so it's no big loss.

For me the key has been having a manager who understands how to implement what he wants and communicate it to his players, plus two or three really good signings who are committed to us and fit the system.

Last year we had McShane, Cooper, Gunter and Obita in defence. Three of them rather error prone and not suited to passing out. Moore's come in and is perfect for passing out and is far less error prone.

Swift and Kelly have good vision and passing. Whilst we still look slow and plodding a lot of the time, they can turn it on in an instant.

McCleary is back to form after struggling for a couple of years with coming back from that back injury.

Whilst not perfect, kermie, Meite, Beerens and Harriott are committed and confident. Unlike the Kermie, Piazon, John and Vydra of last year who were soft, uncommited or woefully out of form.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Jan 2017 11:49

Ian Royal Not only that, but we've won more than 8 home league games for the first time in four years! And we've got plenty to play

H8 to say I told you so Ian but getting rid of McDermott was the right thing to do. 8)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jan 2017 14:04

Ian Royal
Last year we had McShane, Cooper, Gunter and Obita in defence. Three of them rather error prone and not suited to passing out. Moore's come in and is perfect for passing out and is far less error prone.

Moore has also given away two penalties and a clear error leading to a goal in the last few games. So I'm not sure about "far less error prone"

Agree generally ( :o ) with the rest of your comments.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jan 2017 14:10

3points Passion, heart and commitment. Key differences.
no loan players. No billy big-bollox guaranteed starting positions....that's the difference(s)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 14:53

muirinho
Ian Royal

Moore has also given away two penalties and a clear error leading to a goal in the last few games. So I'm not sure about "far less error prone"

Agree generally ( :o ) with the rest of your comments.

Cooper was making at least one big bad mistake a game. All defenders make mistakes and sometimes cost goals occasionally.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jan 2017 18:32

The fact we already have 52 points with still 18 games to play suggests we'd have to fall away badly from here to not make the play offs which is an amazing achievement especially with a completely different style of football.

6 wins, 6 draws and 6 defeats (ie mid table form) would leave us on 76 points - pretty much guaranteeing a top 6 place.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 20:01

Too lazy to look it up but whats the highest points a team has finished on outside of the play-off spots?

Wolves on 78 must have been up there?

If we can manage just 4 defeats from our final 18 games we will hit 80 points and I dont think any team has managed 80 and not finished top 6.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2017 21:54

NewCorkSeth Too lazy to look it up but whats the highest points a team has finished on outside of the play-off spots?

If we can manage just 4 defeats from our final 18 games we will hit 80 points and I dont think any team has managed 80 and not finished top 6.

With 23 teams in the league, in 28 seasons the highest points tally for a 6th placed finish was Ipswich in 2014/15 on 78 (Wolves just missing out on), with the lowest Leicester in 2012/13 who got 68.

Average is 73.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 29 Jan 2017 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 21:58

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth Too lazy to look it up but whats the highest points a team has finished on outside of the play-off spots?

With 23 teams in the league, in 28 seasons the highest points tally for a 6th placed finish was indeed Wolves in 2014/15 on 78, with the lowest Leicester in 2012/13 who got 68.

Average is 73.

Cheers Country, not sure if wasnt clear but I meant the highest points for a 7th place finish.