Who is better?

Brian
67%
Nicky
33%

Total votes: 49
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Who is a better DOF Brian or Nicky

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Feb 2017 15:52

Bit of fun, Brian has bought in Jaap and a seemingly unbelievable squad on a far smaller budget than most in the top half of the championship. Nicky was renowned for getting good money for departing players and being a hard negotiator. Some thought his leaving would have huge ramifications for the club, seemingly not.

So in your opinion who is the better DOF

Me personally I like his brash, straight-talking style, i'm voting Brian

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who is a better DOF Brian or Nicky

by CountryRoyal » 01 Feb 2017 17:27

You have to question the mental state of anyone who gets Hal Robson-Kanu into your club, twice.

So for that reason, it's Brian for me.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Feb 2017 18:39

Can't really decide between the two, certainly brining players in Brian is doing very well but he hasn't really had much opportunity to show his negotiating hand when moving players on, that said he got a decent sum for Norwood. Nicky, quite the opposite, while being part of a backroom team that could get a bargain now and then, the big money signings often flopped but he was really a genius about getting the most out of outgoing transfers. He knew how to squeeze blood from a stone.

So for those reasons I really can't decide. Also boooooooooo no Ian Royal option, worst poll ever.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Feb 2017 18:46

The role is all about being influential and having the right connections to make things happen.

Brian has proved thus far to have what it takes

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Feb 2017 19:31

I'd say that Nicky did a really good job for the club and was a valued servant for a number of years. Why is it that I still can't get that fantastic save he made at Elm Park out of my head? When he pushed that thunderbolt around the post. Unbelievable save. So for me, he'll always be an excellent DOF (Defender Of Funderbolts :lol:). As for the Life Of Brian......to date, he seems to be doing a sound job. Although Nicky may well have laid the seeds for him to step into his shoes. Seamlessly.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Feb 2017 20:25

tidus_mi2 Can't really decide between the two, certainly brining players in Brian is doing very well but he hasn't really had much opportunity to show his negotiating hand when moving players on, that said he got a decent sum for Norwood. Nicky, quite the opposite, while being part of a backroom team that could get a bargain now and then, the big money signings often flopped but he was really a genius about getting the most out of outgoing transfers. He knew how to squeeze blood from a stone.

So for those reasons I really can't decide. Also boooooooooo no Ian Royal option, worst poll ever.

Also got decent money for Tsihbola who's already been loaned on.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2017 20:51

Both seem pretty well suited to the club. Can't knock what Brian has done considering he was only a short term stop gap appointment !

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 01 Feb 2017 20:52

A big influence on Brian's dealings is having a big name such as Stam as a draw for the new players. Would think that Nicky would get similar decent players in if he worked with Stam alongside him. Not saying that Brian's not doing a decent job but very difficult to compare the two. Bilic's comments say it all about Jaap's influence.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Feb 2017 21:08

Brian has clearly done a cracking job so far but it's far too early in his Reading career to even compare him to what Nick did during his tenure

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2017 21:19

Ask again in 4 years

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Feb 2017 21:28

It's hard to tell without knowing how much money they have had and what sort of targets they were given.

Brian's signed some big names, I'm very happy with his business so fast, but let's not forget that Nicky did miracles for free/next to nothing and sold shit for millions.

Brian's grabbed some good headlines but I think he's got quite a ways to go to catch Nick Hammond.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Feb 2017 21:30

Hammond by a distance.

Is Tevereden a one season wonder or is he even a wonder at all (Gravenberch, Weiser, Mendes)?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Feb 2017 22:13

I think their respective roles a very different so its difficult to compare. Certainly Nicky was an absolute master at wringing every last penny out of outgoing deals, which is really what the job dictated at the time. Brian seems to be more involved in the overall footballing strategy rather than the business strategy.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2017 23:36

Nicky was fantastic for a long period of time, amazing at player sales especially, but seemingly went stale at the end.

Brian has been a breath of fresh air. Long may it continue..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Feb 2017 06:26

Nicky went stale after SJM relinquished full control of the club which suggests to me he had less influence. Very much part of SJM's inner circle.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Feb 2017 09:09

Jake Cooper seems to be out of Jaap's plans - If Hammond was here he'd have sold him by now for at least £8m.

I think for Hammond it went stale at the end because of others interfering with his role, possibly the manager at the time who got too many loan players in to name in a squad and was probably looking at it as a short term solution as he wasn't planning on being around at the club long term - In the new setup Nigel Howe has taken over an element of the role Hammond carried out so Brian has arguably an easier job, which may explain why he's doing such a good job/able to put more time into it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Feb 2017 09:09

Anyone heard how Hammond is doing at West Brom?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Feb 2017 10:03

Forbury Lion Anyone heard how Hammond is doing at West Brom?

Signed Robson-Kanu.

:lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Feb 2017 11:13

Far too early to say really.

It's like asking whether Trump is a worse president than Bush. He hasn't had the chance to do anything to really cement his legacy, like lie to the world in order to justify a trumped-up invasion of Iraq.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Feb 2017 23:09

That's a very week analogy.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1