Rival Watch

17149 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowball » 25 Apr 2018 13:58

My first Mrs was from Carlisle and we used to follow them

Just remembered we went to Cardiff last game of the season and were relegated!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2018 14:30

Luton as a place was the worst I have been. Proper rough and utterly charmless. Followed by Rotherham

Didn’t mind Burnley too much - stadium has a bit of charm. Found it pretty similar to all those other identikit northern places round there

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 25 Apr 2018 14:43

Hound Luton as a place was the worst I have been. Proper rough and utterly charmless. Followed by Rotherham

Didn’t mind Burnley too much - stadium has a bit of charm. Found it pretty similar to all those other identikit northern places round there

Colchester's old Layer Road ground was an absolute hole in a pretty miserable area too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2018 15:21

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound Luton as a place was the worst I have been. Proper rough and utterly charmless. Followed by Rotherham

Colchester's old Layer Road ground was an absolute hole in a pretty miserable area too.

Yep. That’s actually one ground and place I can remember nothing about at all. Only remember an I really feeling of it being pretty rubbish. Something nagging in my brain that it was absolutely freezing when I went as well

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Apr 2018 00:15

I think it's quaint (or at least unusual) that you have to walk through people's back gardens to get into the Luton away end.

But I mainly associate the place with the end of our undefeated run in the 106 year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Apr 2018 13:18

Sorry everyone, I somehow managed to forget the fact I had been to Walsall before. Walsall is possibly the worst place on Earth and thus overtakes any other place/ground.

double d

by double d » 26 Apr 2018 14:56

Old Man Andrews Sorry everyone, I somehow managed to forget the fact I had been to Walsall before. Walsall is possibly the worst place on Earth and thus overtakes any other place/ground.

You went there when Chelsea beat Wallsall 4-1 in the league cup in 2015?

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 26 Apr 2018 15:18

Someone's already mentioned it but rotherham in the millmoor days, away end backed onto a scrapyard.

Ironically really enjoyed my last visit to the new stadium, had pints in a couple of good pubs.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 Apr 2018 15:37

double d To be fair nothing can ever beat burnley in terms of a depressing place to visit on an away day.

Oldham is far worse than Burnley in North West depressing stadiums stakes.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Apr 2018 15:56

6ft Kerplunk
double d To be fair nothing can ever beat burnley in terms of a depressing place to visit on an away day.

Oldham is far worse than Burnley in North West depressing stadiums stakes.

Deffo and Boundry park is just weird the way it looks.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Apr 2018 16:28

Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank

Yep. That’s actually one ground and place I can remember nothing about at all. Only remember an I really feeling of it being pretty rubbish. Something nagging in my brain that it was absolutely freezing when I went as well

Away end had wooden terracing :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2018 17:24

Ark Royal
Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank

Ipswich have wooden seating you can only fit in if you're one of the smaller muppets.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Apr 2018 17:29

Ark Royal
Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank

The old Northampton ground (part of cricket ground) was pretty bad and miles from station too IIRC

Think quite a few old grounds had wooden terracing pre 1985 Bradford fire, Gigg Lane? Deepdale?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2018 17:36

Mid Sussex Royal
Ark Royal
Hound

The old Northampton ground (part of cricket ground) was pretty bad and miles from station too IIRC

Think quite a few old grounds had wooden terracing pre 1985 Bradford fire, Gigg Lane? Deepdale?

Ah forgot about Northampton. That was pretty legendary. One side bordering the cricket pitch, rest of it a dilapidated mess. Yep and miles from the station.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Apr 2018 19:57

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
Ark Royal

Ah forgot about Northampton. That was pretty legendary. One side bordering the cricket pitch, rest of it a dilapidated mess. Yep and miles from the station.

Went there in '76 and initially stood behind the 'rope'. Felt really weird with the cricket pavilion way off in the distance. Bramall Lane was similar until 1975.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Apr 2018 18:38

Mid Sussex Royal Think quite a few old grounds had wooden terracing pre 1985 Bradford fire, Gigg Lane? Deepdale?

Old Trafford had it into the early 90s, in the corner between the Stretford End and the Main Stand.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Apr 2018 18:51

Hound

For those who never went, it needs to be mentioned that the ground only had 2 and a half sides. One end (the rear half fenced off) only reached just past the goal.

The Main Stand was also partially condemned. The roof was removed and the seating covered over with corrugated iron sheeting. This meant the ground had no seats at all, so they built a terrible temporary small stand near the players' tunnel, in the middle of the paddock terracing. The Meccano Stand, as it became known, blocked the view of the people stuck in the main stand paddock.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Apr 2018 18:59

:lol: I love the fact the Main Stand was partitally condemned.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 27 Apr 2018 20:27

Sunderland doing us a favour at the moment

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Apr 2018 20:30

Molineux was condemned on two sides in the 80s, and the stand down the other side was about 30 yards from the pitch.

I think Hartlepool had about 10 years with their ground looking like this, after their wooden main stand got condemned after the Bradford fire.

It was certainly like this in the 93/94 season, where it provided a glamorous backdrop to a 4-1 away win.

17149 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:49