17149 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 10:46

leon
URZZZZ
Hound
They'd need to get a lot of new players in. Think their keeper looked handy last night actually

But White will go, Cooper isn't up to it. Neither is Bamford or Klich on last nights evidence. Harrison is good, they might be able to get him permanently but maybe not. Costa was binned pretty quickly by Wolves and seems to not be completely to Bielsa's liking.

I can imagine too many of who played yesterday would be first choice in the Prem. Phillips, yes probably - though untested against the best (and tbf Ejaria bossed him at Madejski), Ayling possibly. Hernandez probably too old.

They are quite a big draw though and would no doubts attract some decent players, but they'd need a very good summer window

I don’t think bringing in a lot of new players in is ever beneficial to be honest

Look at Villa this season. They’ve spent a lot of money and are failing. Fulham the season before, spent a lot of money and went down

I’d say it’s quite easy to list players and say whether or not they’d be good enough for the Prem but in reality, no one really knows how they’ll cope. Take Lundstram for Sheffield United. Barely played a minute in their Championship XI last season. This year, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet

Personally doubt Leeds would make too many signings if they did go up and Bielsa stayed. Guess we’ll see in the summer if they do sadly go up

Good points. The team as a whole can carry a season- they’d need a striker though.

I’d be surprised if Bielsa didn’t see out next season in the premier league (unless he got the boot) although I could also see him walking in a years time.

yes fair points Urrzzz, though would respectfully disagree on the amount of signings they'd make.

The main issue I see is lack of depth - and that two of their best 3 players imo are on loan to them. Bamford as their only striker would surely not be sustainable. A quick scan of their appearance stats suggests they rely pretty much on the same 13 players (not surprising in itself).

If they then decide 3/4 of their players aren't of Prem standard, which you'd think they probably would then they are basically looking at 10 new signings coming in.

There isnt a recipe for staying up certainly - Fulham certainly screwed it up by ripping apart a good side, and Villa to an extent. Norwich - who I think were better than Leeds of this year - made very few signings and are bottom of the table.

Sheff Utd and Brighton managed to thrive with making only a couple of good additions

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 10:47

Hendo
Hendo
John Smith I see Harry Arter scored goal of the round in the FA Cup this weekend, against Premier League opposition, further proving his ability to perform at the highest level

Odd that the goal of the round has already been awarded with one tie still left to play... Could get a decent one from either a Leeds player or an Arsenal player.

Awkward...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51007672

Loader in at 1% :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 10:48

Hound
Hendo
Hendo
Odd that the goal of the round has already been awarded with one tie still left to play... Could get a decent one from either a Leeds player or an Arsenal player.

Awkward...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51007672

Loader in at 1% :lol:

Was zero when I posted :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2020 11:26

Liverpool fans hijack these things anyway so even if the Arter or the Loader goal were better they wouldn't win.

See Salah winning the Fifa goal of the year over Ronaldo's overhead kick against Juventus and Lucas Leiva winning Lazio player of the year.
Last edited by sandman on 07 Jan 2020 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2020 11:28

Liam Kelly is on his way to Oxford from Feyenoord.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 11:29

genome Liam Kelly is on his way to Oxford from Feyenoord.

How the mighty have fallen. He was never the same after Stam blew smoke up his arse. Didn't he mention him in the same breath as Iniesta? :D :D :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 11:32

May as well give Oxford the title now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 11:42

URZZZZ

not surprised, when I saw the rumour thought that would be where he would end up.

Probably his level.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2020 11:45

Hound
leon
URZZZZ
I don’t think bringing in a lot of new players in is ever beneficial to be honest

Look at Villa this season. They’ve spent a lot of money and are failing. Fulham the season before, spent a lot of money and went down

I’d say it’s quite easy to list players and say whether or not they’d be good enough for the Prem but in reality, no one really knows how they’ll cope. Take Lundstram for Sheffield United. Barely played a minute in their Championship XI last season. This year, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet

Personally doubt Leeds would make too many signings if they did go up and Bielsa stayed. Guess we’ll see in the summer if they do sadly go up

Good points. The team as a whole can carry a season- they’d need a striker though.

I’d be surprised if Bielsa didn’t see out next season in the premier league (unless he got the boot) although I could also see him walking in a years time.

yes fair points Urrzzz, though would respectfully disagree on the amount of signings they'd make.

The main issue I see is lack of depth - and that two of their best 3 players imo are on loan to them. Bamford as their only striker would surely not be sustainable. A quick scan of their appearance stats suggests they rely pretty much on the same 13 players (not surprising in itself).

If they then decide 3/4 of their players aren't of Prem standard, which you'd think they probably would then they are basically looking at 10 new signings coming in.

There isnt a recipe for staying up certainly - Fulham certainly screwed it up by ripping apart a good side, and Villa to an extent. Norwich - who I think were better than Leeds of this year - made very few signings and are bottom of the table.

Sheff Utd and Brighton managed to thrive with making only a couple of good additions

Bielsa likes a small squad during the season apparently which might explain why his teams can run out of steam - especially with his pressing style.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 11:47

sandman Liverpool fans hijack these things anyway so even if the Arter or the Loader goal were better they wouldn't win.

See Salah winning the Fifa goal of the year and Lucas Leiva winning Lazio player of the year.

I guess that is possible, however the Liverpool goal was great. I voted for the QPR goal myself.
Last edited by Hendo on 07 Jan 2020 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jan 2020 11:47

Hound
URZZZZ

not surprised, when I saw the rumour thought that would be where he would end up.

Probably his level.

"His level"?
Top end of Div 1 = bottom end of Championship so yes it is probably his level.
Oxford really are becoming a Reading rejects team but are doing very well and it would be good to have them back as a local derby next season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2020 12:01

Hendo
sandman Liverpool fans hijack these things anyway so even if the Arter or the Loader goal were better they wouldn't win.

See Salah winning the Fifa goal of the year over Ronaldo's overhead kick against Juventus and Lucas Leiva winning Lazio player of the year.

I guess that is possible, however the Liverpool goal was great. I voted for the QPR goal myself.

No disputing that it was a very good goal.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 07 Jan 2020 12:20

Victor Meldrew
Hound
URZZZZ

Probably his level.

"His level"?
Oxford really are becoming a Reading rejects team but are doing very well and it would be good to have them back as a local derby next season.

Would be a big fan of Oxford and Wycombe coming up automatically with maybe Portsmouth in the playoffs.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Jan 2020 12:29

Would definitely be positive for the top 2 tiers - far too many Northern sides atm.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 12:32

Chameleon
Victor Meldrew
Hound

Probably his level.

"His level"?

Would be a big fan of Oxford and Wycombe coming up automatically with maybe Portsmouth in the playoffs.

Wycombe under the excellent Gareth Ainsworth would be a credit to the Championship.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 07 Jan 2020 12:40

Old Man Andrews
Chameleon
Victor Meldrew
"His level"?

Wycombe under the excellent Gareth Ainsworth would be a credit to the Championship.

Yep, whereas pumping Oxford semi-regularly would be a fun addition to the Championship.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 13:26

Old Man Andrews
Chameleon
Victor Meldrew
"His level"?

They need to be a bit careful as they have only won 4 points from their last 5 games, and with Rotherham and Coventry getting 11 and 10 points respectively in the same period, it has started to bunch up a little bit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 13:27

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Chameleon

They need to be a bit careful as they have only won 4 points out of their last 5 games, and with Rotherham and Coventry getting 11 and 10 points respectively in the same period, it has started to bunch up a little bit.

Rotherham should have a permanent ban on being promoted due to being the worlds biggest YoYo club.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 14:00

Would rather Rotherham up tbf than Ipswich :x Although they're on awful form, can see them picking it up again soon

Anyway it won't be a problem when we're in the Premier League next season :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2020 19:42

Looking like Birmingham have joined Sheffield Wednesday by being charged for selling the stadium to themselves, don`t know where that leaves us and Derby.

17149 posts