Rival Watch

17236 posts
Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by Jackson Corner » 05 Aug 2020 04:40

Feel for Brentford the money club beat the money ball team. Can they keep pulling rabbits out the hat? Should they lose any of there star players? There recruitment over last few seasons has been exceptional and they always play attractive football. Strangely I can’t think of two many of the players they let go doing much? Jota, Harley Dean, Scott Hogan or Neal Muapay.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Aug 2020 07:50

Maupay has done pretty well.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 08:19

royalp-we
SouthDownsRoyal
royalp-we

Yep. Leeds, West Brom and now Fulham showing that you need experienced pros and not just lucky dips from the continent, or a team full of academy grads, to get out of this division.

You mean we can’t just have some academy players plus a couple of young and hungry players?

Well yeah, that’s EXACTLY what each of the three promoted sides have modelled themselves on :roll:

My point is we need a few experienced pros, if we want to push from mid table upwards.

Have any of our midfield or attack ever won anything other than Baldock winning League Two in 2008?

100pc agree

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2020 14:45

SouthDownsRoyal
royalp-we
SouthDownsRoyal

You mean we can’t just have some academy players plus a couple of young and hungry players?

Well yeah, that’s EXACTLY what each of the three promoted sides have modelled themselves on :roll:

My point is we need a few experienced pros, if we want to push from mid table upwards.

Have any of our midfield or attack ever won anything other than Baldock winning League Two in 2008?

100pc agree

I suspect if you count the English medals the 106 team had won before they joined us it was a pretty low number, maybe even a round number....
Of course Ivar and Glenn had been around a bit but the rest hadn’t exactly had huge careers.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 05 Aug 2020 16:38

Jackson Corner Feel for Brentford the money club beat the money ball team. Can they keep pulling rabbits out the hat? Should they lose any of there star players? There recruitment over last few seasons has been exceptional and they always play attractive football. Strangely I can’t think of two many of the players they let go doing much? Jota, Harley Dean, Scott Hogan or Neal Muapay.

This is the key thing about them, the set up generated so many chances that average strikers were made to look incredible and were sold for way over their fair value, and subsequently didn't perform. They then reinvested and have now upgraded to a front three that is even better. Maupay was probably the first (attacker) they begrudgingly sold, which was why the fee was so high.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Aug 2020 00:07

Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal
royalp-we

100pc agree

I suspect if you count the English medals the 106 team had won before they joined us it was a pretty low number, maybe even a round number....
Of course Ivar and Glenn had been around a bit but the rest hadn’t exactly had huge careers.

Very true. Although we built the midfield around the talented youngsters in Sidwell and Harper, supplemented them with the experience of Bryn, Little etc. Even John Oster. Experienced pros.

Really think with Adam leaving, we need just one or two who can push on the like of Olise and Ejaria, who let’s face it - haven’t achieved anything in the game yet. At the back we have the experience of Morro. But moving up the pitch we lack leaders imo.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Aug 2020 21:02

royalp-we
Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal
100pc agree

Very true. Although we built the midfield around the talented youngsters in Sidwell and Harper, supplemented them with the experience of Bryn, Little etc. Even John Oster. Experienced pros.

Really think with Adam leaving, we need just one or two who can push on the like of Olise and Ejaria, who let’s face it - haven’t achieved anything in the game yet. At the back we have the experience of Morro. But moving up the pitch we lack leaders imo.

I wonder what sort of state Stuart Downings body is in. He is available. Sort of player who could be useful but not sure about fitness.....only seen him a couple of times recently.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Aug 2020 21:08

Another Wayne Bridge?

Above our level, but below our fitness requirements?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 06 Aug 2020 21:49

AthleticoSpizz Another Wayne Bridge?

Above our level, but below our fitness requirements?

Or another keown, goater or ferdinandindo.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Aug 2020 22:54

Shoot me down and I will no doubt will get a load of grief but a player like forestieri or knockaert are the type of players who consistently perform for teams in the top half of the chump.

As it stands, we lack those types of character and we’ll be very lucky to make mid table (which I’d be happy with tbh) but as football fans we always want better. As much as it’s a nice thought to just recruit ‘young and hungry’, that alone won’t get us around the playoffs. Which is where we want to be, right?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Aug 2020 08:21

royalp-we Shoot me down and I will no doubt will get a load of grief but a player like forestieri or knockaert are the type of players who consistently perform for teams in the top half of the chump.

As it stands, we lack those types of character and we’ll be very lucky to make mid table (which I’d be happy with tbh) but as football fans we always want better. As much as it’s a nice thought to just recruit ‘young and hungry’, that alone won’t get us around the playoffs. Which is where we want to be, right?

We aren't a team in the top half of the Championship.

When was the last time Forestieri "consistently performed"?

Why are you mentioning the playoffs as if it is a realistic aim?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2020 08:41

We are certainly a mid table team and it’s a small step to the top half. The odd point here or there.
The playoffs is a realistic aim. Not sure what other aim a mid table side could have. A dozen other teams will share that aim.....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2020 09:04

Old Man Andrews
royalp-we Shoot me down and I will no doubt will get a load of grief but a player like forestieri or knockaert are the type of players who consistently perform for teams in the top half of the chump.

We aren't a team in the top half of the Championship.

When was the last time Forestieri "consistently performed"?

Why are you mentioning the playoffs as if it is a realistic aim?

GIven the most recent year we made the play-offs was preceded by a 17th place finish and followed by a 20th placed finish, play-offs is always a realistic aim in this division.

Of course, by the time the season starts and the window closes in October, that may already look unlikely.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Aug 2020 09:28

Aside from the fact Forestieri has been a bit part player for a bottom half team for 3 years, I think I agree that we'd finish higher in the table if we had better players. I wonder if the club has considered it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Aug 2020 09:56

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2020 12:28

Foriesteri is the definition of a player who doesn't consistently perform. Bags of talent, lots of injuries and frequently loses interest according to my Weds fan chum.

And both him and Knockaert would certainly demand big wages.

As for Downing, exactly the sort of signing we should avoid. Former big name used to big wages well down the downward slope of his career

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Aug 2020 16:50

Snowflake Royal

Foriesteri is the definition of a player who doesn't consistently perform. Bags of talent, lots of injuries and frequently loses interest according to my Weds fan chum.

As for Downing, exactly the sort of signing we should avoid. Former big name used to big wages well down the downward slope of his career

I'm not advocating Downing by any means but didnt he just have a really good season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2020 16:58

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

I'm not advocating Downing by any means but didnt he just have a really good season?

2 goals and 8 assists.

But the guy is 36 ffs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Aug 2020 17:28

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Foriesteri is the definition of a player who doesn't consistently perform. Bags of talent, lots of injuries and frequently loses interest according to my Weds fan chum.

2 goals and 8 assists.

But the guy is 36 ffs.

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't want him. Just heard a lot about how well he has done for Blackburn. Probably more in terms of control of the game and experience rather than goals and assists.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Aug 2020 19:26

Simon's Church

Aside from the fact Forestieri has been a bit part player for a bottom half team for 3 years, I think I agree that we'd finish higher in the table if we had better players. I wonder if the club has considered it.

If you read the thread my point was not about us signing better players. It was about signing 1 or 2 experienced players in midfield and / or attack.

Crack on if you’re happy watching a bunch of kids running round like headless chickens in the middle of the park.

17236 posts