Rival Watch

17149 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Franchise FC » 07 Aug 2020 19:34

royalp-we
Simon's Church
royalp-we Shoot me down and I will no doubt will get a load of grief but a player like forestieri or knockaert are the type of players who consistently perform for teams in the top half of the chump.

As it stands, we lack those types of character and we’ll be very lucky to make mid table (which I’d be happy with tbh) but as football fans we always want better. As much as it’s a nice thought to just recruit ‘young and hungry’, that alone won’t get us around the playoffs. Which is where we want to be, right?

Aside from the fact Forestieri has been a bit part player for a bottom half team for 3 years, I think I agree that we'd finish higher in the table if we had better players. I wonder if the club has considered it.

If you read the thread my point was not about us signing better players. It was about signing 1 or 2 experienced players in midfield and / or attack.

Crack on if you’re happy watching a bunch of kids running round like headless chickens in the middle of the park.

I'd much prefer a headless chicken trying his heart out than a pension-taking has-been (Edwards & Meyler spring immediately to mind)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Aug 2020 22:11

Franchise FC
royalp-we
Simon's Church
Aside from the fact Forestieri has been a bit part player for a bottom half team for 3 years, I think I agree that we'd finish higher in the table if we had better players. I wonder if the club has considered it.

If you read the thread my point was not about us signing better players. It was about signing 1 or 2 experienced players in midfield and / or attack.

Crack on if you’re happy watching a bunch of kids running round like headless chickens in the middle of the park.

I'd much prefer a headless chicken trying his heart out than a pension-taking has-been (Edwards & Meyler spring immediately to mind)

Headless chicken trying his heart out perfectly describes Meyler. My defining memory of him is him charging down a bouncing ball deep in the opposition half, misjudging his leap, being caught hopelessly out of position as a result, leading directly to us conceding a goal. An absolutely terrible piece of play - but the result of playing hard rather than playing smart.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 08 Aug 2020 08:59

SCIAG
Franchise FC
royalp-we

Headless chicken trying his heart out perfectly describes Meyler. My defining memory of him is him charging down a bouncing ball deep in the opposition half, misjudging his leap, being caught hopelessly out of position as a result, leading directly to us conceding a goal. An absolutely terrible piece of play - but the result of playing hard rather than playing smart.

Exactly, age and experience have nothing to do with being a 'headless chicken'. Look at Mcshane towards the end too.

We apparently have no money, and are trying to basically half our wage bill, unfortunately established championship players who aren't already on the way down don't usually fit into that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2020 09:50

royalp-we
Simon's Church
royalp-we Shoot me down and I will no doubt will get a load of grief but a player like forestieri or knockaert are the type of players who consistently perform for teams in the top half of the chump.

As it stands, we lack those types of character and we’ll be very lucky to make mid table (which I’d be happy with tbh) but as football fans we always want better. As much as it’s a nice thought to just recruit ‘young and hungry’, that alone won’t get us around the playoffs. Which is where we want to be, right?

What on earth are you talking about? We've got three midfielders of 23 and under, no strikers, and one of them is one of our best players with two seasons of Championship experience.

Joao - 26
Meite - 24
Puscas - 24
Baldock - 31
Swift - 25
Rinomhota - 23
Laurent - 25
Holsgrove - 20
Olise - 18

And you think the notoriously flaky Forestieri at 30, having started 20 Championship games just twice in about 7 seasons and scoring 10 goals + twice would improve us?

When we have to slash our wage budget?

Can I have what you're smoking?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Aug 2020 11:43

Rattled you a bit here haven’t I :shock:

It was clear to see in our play that we needed an experienced head since coming back from lockdown. Barr Luton we simply didn’t create enough and didn’t look impressive at at all.

If you think that simply signing Young players to complement that lot will bring success, then fairplay. But it’s just my opinion and I think many underestimate the need for some experienced heads around the group.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Aug 2020 11:45

Just to add Ian, Forestieri has played 128 games and got 40 goals in 5 seasons.

What on earth have you been smoking :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2020 11:57

52 games and 13 goals in the past 3 seasons though. Not a great return for a player on £40,000 a week.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Aug 2020 12:28

About level with Sam Baldock in that case.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Aug 2020 12:30

royalp-we About level with Sam Baldock in that case.

And you think having 2 Sam Baldocks is a good idea?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Aug 2020 12:34

NewCorkSeth

With one being on twice as much money?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Aug 2020 12:43

Hendo
NewCorkSeth

With one being on twice as much money?

Even if they were both on Baldocks current wage it would be too much. Staggering that he is trying to defend signing him. After all the talk of wages and turnover and reduced income someone still thinks signings like that would be a good idea.

I mean, Meite scored the same number of league goals this season as he has in the last 3. Can do without that kind of experience.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2020 13:09

NewCorkSeth

At least the one we have is on less money, doesn't cost anything to sign and puts a shift in reliably.

Foriestieri is close to the worst signing we could make.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2020 13:11

royalp-we Just to add Ian, Forestieri has played 128 games and got 40 goals in 5 seasons.

What on earth have you been smoking :lol:

So he averages less than 10 goals and barely more than 25 games a season.

That's shit.

And he only averages that because he had two decent seasons over 3 years ago.

You had a bang on the head?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Aug 2020 13:12

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

At least the one we have is on less money, doesn't cost anything to sign and puts a shift in reliably.

Indeed. Please see my second post.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2020 13:13

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth And you think having 2 Sam Baldocks is a good idea?

Indeed. Please see my second post.

Hi 5 buddy.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 08 Aug 2020 13:55

Forestieri has really struggled with injury and has at times come across as hot headed, not to mention he’s probably very expensive to have around. He’s a brilliant player but he definitely doesn’t fit into Bowen’s supposed summer transfer strategy in targeting young, hungry players. Unrealistic to want him here at best thankfully.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Aug 2020 17:55

Ho hum. The point I was getting at, as posted several times is that it was clear to see in our play that we needed an experienced head since coming back from lockdown. Barr Luton we simply didn’t create enough and didn’t look very impressive at at all.

You need a blend of youth and experience and the majority will be calling for Bowen to go when the whole policy was to sign young players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2020 19:30

No one's really failed to understand your point. I disagree with it. Even if you're right, the player given as the sort we should look to sign is bloody awful and would be in line with everything wrong at the club over the last 5 years or so.

What we need are reliable players, who will play at tempo regularly and don't cost a lot.

And we don't have a front line of young players. The majority of them have plenty of experience. It's just Olise who is young and inexperienced.

Our one signing so far is 25.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Aug 2020 19:56

Nameless We are certainly a mid table team and it’s a small step to the top half. The odd point here or there.
The playoffs is a realistic aim. Not sure what other aim a mid table side could have. A dozen other teams will share that aim.....

Agree with this, it’s fine margins in the championship, sure realistically POS will be a tall order for us next season but why not aim for it? I’d rather aim for PO and finish mid table than just aim for mid table. As has been said there isn’t a huge gulf between mid table and those who are within touching distance of 6th. Sure we won’t be a Brentford/Fulham type team in the top six all year but hover around 10th and you always have a chance

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2020 21:46

royalp-we Ho hum. The point I was getting at, as posted several times is that it was clear to see in our play that we needed an experienced head since coming back from lockdown. Barr Luton we simply didn’t create enough and didn’t look very impressive at at all.

You need a blend of youth and experience and the majority will be calling for Bowen to go when the whole policy was to sign young players.

I dont think anyone was disagreeing with your point, just disagreeing with you suggestion that a Forestieri was the sort of player we should be after.

17149 posts