17247 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Sep 2020 09:09

Hendo
Silver Fox
leon As much as I revel in Fulham getting repeated doings they aren’t our rivals until next season.

They won't be our rivals next season either

Was going to post the same thing :D

:D

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Sep 2020 09:12

Hendo
Silver Fox
leon As much as I revel in Fulham getting repeated doings they aren’t our rivals until next season.

It's almost like there are some people who don't know we're definitely going up

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 09:12

Silver Fox
Hendo
Silver Fox

It's almost like there are some people who don't know we're definitely going up

Crazy, isn't it?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 09:21

I will go as far as to say we will not go up in any of our lifetimes.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 10:42

That is a very long time. I will be alive for about 15 to 20 more years. I reckon we will go up again at some stage.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 10:50

So what we thinking about Everton this season? Seem to have started well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 10:56

NewCorkSeth So what we thinking about Everton this season? Seem to have started well.

They are officially not rivals.

I think we should have clear and defined rules as to what a rival is and try and stick to them.

Played against them 6 or more times within a 5 year period
Geography
Ex-player who we hate plays for them
Consistent social media interactions with their supporters
A previous incident of team causing us to miss out on success due to foul play/cheating

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 11:01

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth So what we thinking about Everton this season? Seem to have started well.

I think we should have clear and defined rules as to what a rival is and try and stick to them.

Geography
A previous incident of team causing us to miss out on success due to foul play/cheating

Andy Johnson used to play for them, does that count? oxf*rd hate that guy.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 11:08

Not as well as Port Vale.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Sep 2020 11:16

Old Man Andrews

Geography

Simple rule for this thread:

Are they in the Championship?

If yes, post anything interesting* in here.
If no, General football.

Only exception may be towards the end of a season when sides are confirmed as up/down (assuming it is clear we are staying put).

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 11:29

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Geography

If no, General football.

Only exception may be towards the end of a season when sides are confirmed as up/down (assuming it is clear we are staying put).

Obviously this.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 11:31

Hendo
Stranded
Old Man Andrews They are officially not rivals.

Geography

If no, General football.

Obviously this.

But then where will we tediously discuss Leeds for no reason?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Sep 2020 12:05

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Geography

If no, General football.

Hard to believe that anyone could fail to grasp such simple guidelines, they'd have to be a complete fool

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 12:08

Silver Fox
Stranded
Old Man Andrews They are officially not rivals.

Geography

If no, General football.

Hard to believe that anyone could fail to grasp such simple guidelines, they'd have to be a complete fool

You do not have to be in the same division as someone to be their rival, only someone who doesn't understand football would think that. There are many factors that come into play when it relates to football rivalry.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Sep 2020 12:08

NewCorkSeth
Hendo
Stranded

If no, General football.

Obviously this.

But then where will we tediously discuss Leeds for no reason?

In the "Inbred Shower of Pcunts" thread.

To be fair, I thought this thread was set up to discuss teams in our division.

Yes Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot are our rivals but we've not played any of them competitively for getting close to 20 years and they're all a bit of an irrelevance.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Sep 2020 12:16

Old Man Andrews
Silver Fox
Stranded

If no, General football.

You do not have to be in the same division as someone to be their rival, only someone who doesn't understand football would think that. There are many factors that come into play when it relates to football rivalry.

Thanks for proving my point

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 12:19

So Oxford, Aldershot, Swindon are not our rivals because they are not in the same division? They are geographical rivals. The teams in our league are divisional rivals. Leeds are our rivals because we were in the same league as us for years and wound us up either in the clubs approach or with their supporters.

To not understand how rivalries work and how there are different streams to rivalry in footabll shows a clear lack of footballing intelligence.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 12:21

Old Man Andrews So Oxford, Aldershot, Swindon are not our rivals because they are not in the same division? They are geographical rivals. The teams in our league are divisional rivals. Leeds are our rivals because we were in the same league as us for years and wound us up either in the clubs approach or with their supporters.

To not understand how rivalries work and how there are different streams to rivalry in footabll shows a clear lack of footballing intelligence.

Tbh, I don't think that Oxford, Aldershot or Swindon really see us as rivals, or certainly not fierce rivals and for geographic rivals to work, both teams need to participate in that rivalry.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 12:24

Hendo
Old Man Andrews So Oxford, Aldershot, Swindon are not our rivals because they are not in the same division? They are geographical rivals. The teams in our league are divisional rivals. Leeds are our rivals because we were in the same league as us for years and wound us up either in the clubs approach or with their supporters.

Tbh, I don't think that Oxford, Aldershot or Swindon really see us as rivals, or certainly not fierce rivals and for geographic rivals to work, both teams need to participate in that rivalry.

Sorry buddy but that is nonsense. Should there be a time we play any one of the clubs I mentioned there will be intense interest and back and forths on social media etc and the games would likely sell out home or away, more so than with any other clubs in the football world. The rivalries with those clubs are lukewarm, I will give you that but it is only because we haven't had regular fixtures with those clubs for many seasons now. It is a cold war between us. The are and will forever be local rivals though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 12:27

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Sorry buddy but that is nonsense. Should there be a time we play any one of the clubs I mentioned there will be intense interest and back and forths on social media etc and the games would likely sell out home or away, more so than with any other clubs in the football world. The rivalries with those clubs are lukewarm, I will give you that but it is only because we haven't had regular fixtures with those clubs for many seasons now. It is a cold war between us. The are and will forever be local rivals though.

Yeah, I guess its one for the twitter virgins to get all excited about...

17247 posts