Rival Watch

17149 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by leon » 29 Sep 2020 17:15

tidus_mi2
leon Anyway - too early to tell but who do we reckon are the dark horses this season - Luton?

Based on the starts, gonna be boring I'd say us and Bristol City, I'd say Blackburn but they were just outside the play-offs last season so I don't think they would count.

Yeah I'd say all three are similar types of clubs. All a bit down on our luck in the last 5-10 years but having some sort of potential.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 17:22

leon
tidus_mi2
leon Anyway - too early to tell but who do we reckon are the dark horses this season - Luton?

Based on the starts, gonna be boring I'd say us and Bristol City, I'd say Blackburn but they were just outside the play-offs last season so I don't think they would count.

Yeah I'd say all three are similar types of clubs. All a bit down on our luck in the last 5-10 years but having some sort of potential.

Other than us, obviously :wink:

I'd also say Blackburn, but like you said they were in and around the play-offs last year so maybe not "dark horses" but they have scored nearly more twice anyone else this season so far, already on 11 goals.

Other than that, it is probably going to be your usual mix of the same clubs and the teams which got relegated. Millwall and Bristol City might be the ones to emerge from the pack.

I don't think any of the promoted teams will put up too much of a fight towards the top end.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 17:42

leon
morganb Dictionary says:

Rival (noun) - a person or thing competing with another for the same objective.

So, a team has the objective of competing to win the Championship
Or, a team has the objective of competing to be the best in the local area

Don't think Reading and Leeds have the same objective at the moment.

Indeed. We all agree. Bar one person who thinks he runs HNA.

Calling Platypus to the thread. Do your grim work.

Is platypus even around anymore? Maybe the covids got to him. Otherwise OMA would have been banned a loooooooong time ago.

Unless they are the same person..... :?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 17:58

tidus_mi2

Dark horses for POs or autos?

I'd say Blackburn would qualify if we're talking autos but maybe not POs. Don't think Luton can last the distance and find it hard to be a believer that we will.

Brizzle seem a decent shout though.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 18:01

Luton and Blackburn aren't our rivals.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Sep 2020 18:58

Simmops Luton and Blackburn aren't our rivals.

What about Leeds

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 19:13

Luton and Blackburn are within 3 points of us. They're rivals.

I can't believe I dignified that with a reply.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 19:36

Snowflake Royal Luton and Blackburn are within 3 points of us. They're rivals.

I can't believe I dignified that with a reply.

:lol: too easy

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Sep 2020 07:17

tidus_mi2

Blackburn are 10/1 for promotion, which is tempting given their start. 25/1 to win it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2020 07:25

Think the top 2 will end up being very dull. Can see Watford winning it and Norwich coming 2nd. Norwich are really dull to watch and play Stam-ball quite well which works in the Championship if you have players capable of doing it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2020 07:56

I guess to an extent we could be. Strong first 11. Weak back up and already numerous injuries though

Not sure Luton have enough quality, think they’ll sink pretty quickly.

Honestly and boringly I can’t see anyone else who you’d have written off at the start of the season being involved. Think it’ll be the relegated clubs, Brentford, Blackburn with Bristol ending about 9th as per usual

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 30 Sep 2020 10:24

Old Man Andrews Think the top 2 will end up being very dull. Can see Watford winning it and Norwich coming 2nd. Norwich are really dull to watch and play Stam-ball quite well which works in the Championship if you have players capable of doing it.

I think all 3 sides that have gone down will go back up.

Which will be fine with me because then Bournemouth will go back down again.

Relegation will be Wycombe, Rotherham (to do their usual swap with Doncaster) and Sheff Weds

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Sep 2020 10:33

Simmops
Old Man Andrews Think the top 2 will end up being very dull. Can see Watford winning it and Norwich coming 2nd. Norwich are really dull to watch and play Stam-ball quite well which works in the Championship if you have players capable of doing it.

Relegation will be Wycombe, Rotherham (to do their usual swap with Doncaster) and Sheff Weds

Doncaster haven't been in the Championship for about 5 seasons now, they even dropped to League Two at one point. I'd say it's normally Rotherham and Barnsley that do the switcheroo but because of Wigan's point deduction that didn't happen last season.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 30 Sep 2020 10:43

tidus_mi2
Simmops

Doncaster haven't been in the Championship for about 5 seasons now, they even dropped to League Two at one point. I'd say it's normally Rotherham and Barnsley that do the switcheroo but because of Wigan's point deduction that didn't happen last season.

Yes you are right sorry. I knew it was some arse end of nowhere Yorkshire club who should stick to Rugby League.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2020 12:46

Think it's a bigger pool who share it out a bit more.

Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster, Peterborough... probably a few more. Big enough to do well in L1 regularly, but without the resources to really compete for long in the Championship.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2020 12:51

Peterborough haven't been in the Championship since 2013................................................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

The yoyo clubs are Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Sep 2020 12:54

Snowflake Royal Think it's a bigger pool who share it out a bit more.

Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster, Peterborough... probably a few more. Big enough to do well in L1 regularly, but without the resources to really compete for long in the Championship.

Could definitely throw Wigan into the mix, after their relegation from the Premier League they've been bouncing between Championship and League One

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2020 12:55

They're currently out of the cycle, but they were up and down a lot for a while.

Chances are they'll return to that. None of them consistently bounce up and down that long. It comes in waves.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2020 13:05

Hendo
leon
tidus_mi2 Based on the starts, gonna be boring I'd say us and Bristol City, I'd say Blackburn but they were just outside the play-offs last season so I don't think they would count.

Other than us, obviously :wink:

I'd also say Blackburn, but like you said they were in and around the play-offs last year so maybe not "dark horses" but they have scored nearly more twice anyone else this season so far, already on 11 goals.

Other than that, it is probably going to be your usual mix of the same clubs and the teams which got relegated. Millwall and Bristol City might be the ones to emerge from the pack.

I don't think any of the promoted teams will put up too much of a fight towards the top end.

Agree with Millwall, tough team to beat both home and away, slightly lacking in the striker department which may be their downfall

Martin seems to have done well for Bristol so far, he’s a top quality striker when you play to his strengths

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Sep 2020 14:11

Shall we scrap this thread and start a new thread called “championshipwatch 2020-2021”?

17149 posts