Rival Watch

17149 posts
Rax

Re: Rival Watch

by Rax » 29 Jun 2022 22:33

Mr Optimist By how much do the parachute payments drop off between the second and third seasons out of the Premier League. Will it be shit or bust for WBA next season?

Nothing against WBA as a club and fan base as they’ve always seemed alright to me, much better than Wulfs up the road, but is this a bit of a gamble?

Personally, with Steve Bruce in charge and Ron Gormless flashing the cash, I think they are fooked! :D :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2022 09:22

Mr Optimist By how much do the parachute payments drop off between the second and third seasons out of the Premier League. Will it be shit or bust for WBA next season?

Nothing against WBA as a club and fan base as they’ve always seemed alright to me, much better than Wulfs up the road, but is this a bit of a gamble?

Last season WBA received a payment 55% of what they would have got through the PL TV deal payment (worth approx £40m I think) and this season they’ll get a payment worth about 45% of the TV deal.

However this season will be their second and final parachute payment following their relegation as they were only in the PL for 1 season before being relegated.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 09:24

Sutekh

Last season WBA received a payment 55% of what they would have got through the PL TV deal payment (worth approx £40m I think) and this season they’ll get a payment worth about 45% of the TV deal.

However this season will be their second and final parachute payment following their relegation as they were only in the PL for 1 season before being relegated.

So it does seem to very much all or nothing for them this season then. Risky given they've likely handed premium contracts to the likes of Swift, Wallace and Lawrence, granted they were all on frees but it will massively hike their wage bill up, particularly for next season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jun 2022 09:36

Should only get 1 payment if they come straight back down.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 10:55

Sunderland are set to sign Daniel Ballard from Arsenal, previously under interest from Burnley.

Brentford have made a £20m offer for Hull's Keane Lewis-Potter.

Hull will have done well to have coined in £45m for Bowen & KLP, that's assuming they accept that bid as well. If they reinvest correctly with an ambitious owner they seem to have in place they could fly up the table. Sunderland have done well to pick up Ballard as well providing it all goes through, solid addition for them.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jun 2022 11:02

YorkshireRoyal99 Sunderland are set to sign Daniel Ballard from Arsenal, previously under interest from Burnley.

Hull will have done well to have coined in £45m for Bowen & KLP, that's assuming they accept that bid as well. If they reinvest correctly with an ambitious owner they seem to have in place they could fly up the table. Sunderland have done well to pick up Ballard as well providing it all goes through, solid addition for them.

Hull will either do really well next season or completely crash and burn. Owner is a bit of a livewire, very ambitious.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 11:04

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Sunderland are set to sign Daniel Ballard from Arsenal, previously under interest from Burnley.

Hull will either do really well next season or completely crash and burn. Owner is a bit of a livewire, very ambitious.

Yeah was thinking the same. Either lose their best player and fail miserably or fly up the table.

Reminds me of ourselves between 2017-2019.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jun 2022 11:04

It has been revealed WBA have lent £5m to the club chairman. Gourlay doing bits.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 30 Jun 2022 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 11:08

Slippery slope, could be the next one to fall into financial difficulties if this keeps up.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Jun 2022 11:53

NathStPaul It has been revealed WBA have lent £5m to the club chairman. Gourlay doing bits.

Maybe just resting in his account, Father Ted style like.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jun 2022 19:42

Yet another deadline missed by Derby’s administrators. I hope this shit show never happens to us.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 30 Jun 2022 21:16

blythspartan Yet another deadline missed by Derby’s administrators. I hope this shit show never happens to us.

No chance. We would not be given so many "last chances". The EFL would have expelled us a long time ago!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jun 2022 23:13

blythspartan Yet another deadline missed by Derby’s administrators. I hope this shit show never happens to us.

I'm utterly lost where Derby are. Sounds like they should be on -100 points with all their misdemeanors.
So they have missed the deadline. Which is a points deduction.
Found that they may have been getting Rooney to pay wages illegally.....which is more points.
Have they actually been done for overspending? Surely they are guilty as hell of that one as well.
They seem to have got off so lightly to me.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jul 2022 00:53

You can still get 10/3 on Derby to go down, which seems nuts considering they've got no players and look nailed on for another points deduction.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jul 2022 08:00

Ascotexgunner

I'm utterly lost where Derby are. Sounds like they should be on -100 points with all their misdemeanors.
So they have missed the deadline. Which is a points deduction.
Found that they may have been getting Rooney to pay wages illegally.....which is more points.
Have they actually been done for overspending? Surely they are guilty as hell of that one as well.
They seem to have got off so lightly to me.

Apparently, Rooney/his agent paying the wages is not against the rules if the sums were paid/loaned to the administrators who then paid the players. Issue would be if they paid them directly.

Where Derby are is in admin - as long as they pay the wages each month they are in admin then they are not in breach of anything. Pay day was yesterday, I assume players have been paid but if not then there is an automatic 3 point deduction even if the deal goes through today. If the deal doesn't cover the minimum payments set out by the EFL then they will get another 15.

At this stage it looks like a deal will be done, possibly today, and they will start afresh on 0 but with some restictions on fees/wages until the creditors are paid off. Lots of rumours that they will sign Hourihane, which I'll be very surprised by, would have thought there would be a few Champ clubs interested in him still.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jul 2022 15:41

Lee Bowyer: Birmingham City head coach sacked by Championship club - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61144145

Unfortunately they may get someone better in now

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2022 15:56

morganb Lee Bowyer: Birmingham City head coach sacked by Championship club - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61144145

Wouldn't count on it.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jul 2022 18:40

Pepe the Horseman
morganb Lee Bowyer: Birmingham City head coach sacked by Championship club - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61144145

Wouldn't count on it.

Why wait until well into pre-season? Strange

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2022 18:57

Agreed. Much better to do it a week before the season starts.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jul 2022 19:06

Maybe there was a contractual clause which means they'd have to pay him more money if sacked before July.

As far as I can tell Derby won't have any points deductions, unless the new owners haven't agreed to make the required debt repayments.

17149 posts