Rival Watch

17149 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 23 Mar 2023 16:03

Hound Yeah truth in that. Actually get quite surprised when I speak to someone who is born here.

Whilst no one is going to choose to move to Sunderland

Yep, Reading one of those places where people born there tend to move on and are replaces by those who are attracted by the employment opportunities and/or stay on after attending the uni.

As a result, from a football perspective, there is a massive number, maybe even a majority of football fans living in and around the town, so simply will never support the club but may well attend a game(s), if the side is doing well.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Mar 2023 16:14

RG30
A statement from Huddersfield Town on the Club’s ownership

Huddersfield Town can today (23 March 2023) issue an update on the Club’s ownership.

We can confirm that Dean Hoyle has completed a deal to acquire the remaining 75% shareholding in Huddersfield Town from Pure Sports Consultancy. As a result, Dean Hoyle now owns 100% of the shares in the Football Club.

Simultaneously, Mr Hoyle has exchanged contracts with a North American group on a sale of the 100% shareholding in Huddersfield Town. Completion is subject to legislative and governance procedures.

We will give more information to supporters as soon as these procedures have been completed.

Once again, we would like to thank fans for their continued patience and support.

https://www.htafc.com/news/2023/march/club-statement-ownership/

Does that mean Hoyle bought the club and then immediately sold it? and if so why didn't the totally non-dodgy sounding North American group just buy the club? All sounds like the sort of thing a competently managed league might investig8?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Mar 2023 16:29

Stranded
Hound Yeah truth in that. Actually get quite surprised when I speak to someone who is born here.

Yep, Reading one of those places where people born there tend to move on and are replaces by those who are attracted by the employment opportunities and/or stay on after attending the uni.

As a result, from a football perspective, there is a massive number, maybe even a majority of football fans living in and around the town, so simply will never support the club but may well attend a game(s), if the side is doing well.

But then you'd probably think there would be better numbers for away games and we'd have fans clustered around the country, but I don't see/hear of many coaches available for away fans outside of the town where you do at other clubs.

The bottom line is, we just don't have that real core fanbase that many other sides do in relation to our division, hence our dwindling figures for away fixtures. We probably just aren't that well supported either in comparison to other sides in our league unfortunately.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Mar 2023 17:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

But then you'd probably think there would be better numbers for away games and we'd have fans clustered around the country, but I don't see/hear of many coaches available for away fans outside of the town where you do at other clubs.

The bottom line is, we just don't have that real core fanbase that many other sides do in relation to our division, hence our dwindling figures for away fixtures. We probably just aren't that well supported either in comparison to other sides in our league unfortunately.

Sorry, I don't understand this point. Most people who come to Reading for a while, and then move on elsewhere, don't become Reading fans while they are here - why would they go to away games after they move?

But yes, agree we aren't that well supported in comparison to other teams. In terms of facilities we are a Championship side. In terms of support we're still in Division 4.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Mar 2023 17:55

Dirk Gently The Premier League years showed that if we were successful, people would come - we were selling out just about every match, then.

It's not location, it's the entertainment value of what's on offer that is the deciding factor. People coming out time and time again to watch turgid displays from a (predominantly) bunch of mercenaries who have no connection to the place isn't something that will happen just from the power of the badge.

Attractive and/or successful football (and ideally both!) brings people in and creates an atmosphere and environment that helps keep them coming back. Simple as that.

We've not had that for over ten years.

100% correct - as usual.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Mar 2023 17:58

RG30

Huddersfield Town can today (23 March 2023) issue an update on the Club’s ownership.

We can confirm that Dean Hoyle has completed a deal to acquire the remaining 75% shareholding in Huddersfield Town from Pure Sports Consultancy. As a result, Dean Hoyle now owns 100% of the shares in the Football Club.

Simultaneously, Mr Hoyle has exchanged contracts with a North American group on a sale of the 100% shareholding in Huddersfield Town. Completion is subject to legislative and governance procedures.

We will give more information to supporters as soon as these procedures have been completed.

Once again, we would like to thank fans for their continued patience and support.

Well, THAT doesn't sound in any way dodgy does it???

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2023 18:00

Yeah, my parents were born in London and moved there. My brother, my sister and I were born there, me and my brother moved away, my sister has stayed and so far so have two of her kids, another has moved away. My brother's kids were born elsewhere.

Most of my close school friend's parents weren’t born locally, and most those friends have moved away after being born there.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 23 Mar 2023 18:31

Silver Fox
RG30

Does that mean Hoyle bought the club and then immediately sold it? and if so why didn't the totally non-dodgy sounding North American group just buy the club? All sounds like the sort of thing a competently managed league might investig8?

Perhaps if the Americans bought the 75% of shares from the previous co-owner the Americans would have had the debt passed onto them? Hoyle buying the shares enabled him to clear the debts before selling the shares on, so that the club can avoid administration.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Mar 2023 20:48

Mr Angry
RG30

Well, THAT doesn't sound in any way dodgy does it???

Actually, seems perfectly legitimate.
The purchasing entity wants 100% of the club and have two ways of achieving it …
1. As above
2. Agree separate purchase deals with two entities

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Mar 2023 21:54

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

Depends where people have moved to. A lot likely just up to London but from people I grew up with, only a few still in Reading others in Manchester, New York, Toronto, Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, Newcastle, Dublin, London, Bristol, Torquay, Swansea....

Could list more and doubt I am atypical.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Mar 2023 08:50

muirinho
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

Sorry, I don't understand this point. Most people who come to Reading for a while, and then move on elsewhere, don't become Reading fans while they are here - why would they go to away games after they move?

But yes, agree we aren't that well supported in comparison to other teams. In terms of facilities we are a Championship side. In terms of support we're still in Division 4.

It was in response to "people born in Reading tend to move elsewhere", hence the comment. Obviously just people who aren't that interested in football or don't support the club when they move away, depending when that is.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Mar 2023 11:40

Gonna be interesting keeping an eye on the situation at Wigan, players still not paid and not showing up for training now, if this continues do they get more deductions? If they can't fulfil fixtures due to players refusing to play, will their results be expunged? Of the teams immediately in the relegation scrap including us, we'd lose 3pts, Cardiff would lose 4pts and drop to 22nd and Birmingham would lose 1pt.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Mar 2023 14:03

At this stage of the season, they've more likely to forfeit upcoming fixtures than have complete records expunged. That would only happen if they cease to exist.

Dont see it coming to that though.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 24 Mar 2023 14:05

At the end of the day if you stand in Reading station any Saturday morning early you'll see shirts of nearly every London club and a fair few other clubs who are either travelling away or getting ready for a day up in London before the match
As mentioned there's always our hardcore 10,000 and obviously with success comes the extra numbers
I was taken to my first game in the mid 80's at around 7 yrs old and got the bug from there and progressed to the South Bank and then travelling away week in, week out
My 11 and 13yr old both have season tickets and next week Brizzle will be their first away game

How ever much the 1000's of kids for a quid can be annoying you would hope that a percentage may stick with it and start the next generation

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Mar 2023 15:05

True but must be nigh on impossible in past five to six years attracting any new fans to the club

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2023 16:07

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid A response to that is whether the teams above us in that table have better records of success over the past 10 years or so?

Yes, almost exclusively yes. Many have been in the PL more recently. Many have more gularly finished top half of the Championship.

The likes of Rotherham, Bristol, Wigan and Sunderland have enjoyed success in League One in that time, even if not in the Championship or above.

If you plotted average place within a division across 10 years, most of those teams would be above us.

Saw this yesterday and was interested to see what the sitch was, did the full English table as thought that was the only fair way to do it from 2012/13 to now.

Reading - 33rd average position
Rotherham - 46th average position
Bristol City - 38th average position
Wigan - 41st average position
Sunderland - 31st average position

So only Sunderland would be above us and that is only because they lasted for an additional 4 years in the Prem after we got relegated in 2012/13

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2023 16:10

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid A response to that is whether the teams above us in that table have better records of success over the past 10 years or so?

Yes, almost exclusively yes. Many have been in the PL more recently. Many have more gularly finished top half of the Championship.

The likes of Rotherham, Bristol, Wigan and Sunderland have enjoyed success in League One in that time, even if not in the Championship or above.

If you plotted average place within a division across 10 years, most of those teams would be above us.

Saw this yesterday and was interested to see what the sitch was, did the full English table as thought that was the only fair way to do it from 2012/13 to now.

So only Sunderland would be above us and that is only because they lasted for an additional 4 years in the Prem after we got relegated in 2012/13

But, teams that are consistently fighting for promotion in L1 will have happier and more engaged supporters than those who are consistently fighting relegation in the Championship.

Which is why I think position is respective league, not overall league placing is important.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2023 16:17

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Yes, almost exclusively yes. Many have been in the PL more recently. Many have more gularly finished top half of the Championship.

But, teams that are consistently fighting for promotion in L1 will have happier and more engaged supporters than those who are consistently fighting relegation in the Championship.

Which is why I think position is respective league, not overall league placing is important.

Yeah, there is that, but it is almost impossible to quantify - which is why I did it on overall league position.

Best one I can really compare it with is Bristol City as between 2015/16 and now, they've been in the same league as Reading.

Weirdly the average position of both Reading and Bristol City over the last 8 years is exactly the same! 35th (15th in Championship).

Reading v Bristol City
37 v 38
23 v 37
40 v 31
40 v 28
34 v 32
27 v 39
41 v 37
38* v 34*

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2023 16:22

Quite easy to quantify. 10th = 10th L1/L2/Champ/PL.

:wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2023 16:24

It isn't though, is it, but whatever.

17149 posts