Rival Watch

17149 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by NathStPaul » 16 Sep 2021 08:50

URZZZZ
windermereROYAL Hughton`s days have to be numbered at Forest if they lose tonight.

Believe tonight was the final straw, Hughton been sacked

I feel for him a bit, think the club are a basket case and he never really stood a chance there. Regardless of who the manager has been, the players just seem to down tools and go through the motions. A manager like Hughton is better off in charge of a club with lower expectations where he can have the time to build without the added pressure imo.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Sep 2021 08:56

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
windermereROYAL Hughton`s days have to be numbered at Forest if they lose tonight.

I feel for him a bit, think the club are a basket case and he never really stood a chance there. Regardless of who the manager has been, the players just seem to down tools and go through the motions. A manager like Hughton is better off in charge of a club with lower expectations where he can have the time to build without the added pressure imo.

So not here then....

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Sep 2021 08:58

Hendo
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

So not here then....

I think he would do well here but I don't think he'd be given the time, no. We have a core group of supporters who think swapping managers once a season is a great idea when imo it is stability we need at the moment.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Sep 2021 08:59

It has to be said too that Derby were first charged in January last year, to my knowledge we`ve been charged with nothing yet. surely it would have happened long ago if our breaches were that serious.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2021 09:00

Stranded
Hendo
Stranded
Exactly - we have throughout this worked with the EFL and only bought players etc when we have been given the green light - and this summer worked strictly within their requirements - even not bringing in a stiker yet in line with the apparent 1 in, 1 out situation they have now applied.

We may end up seeing a deduction for breaching the loss limits but the embargo is there as a means to stop that happening and you would hope the limits the EFL have set are based on calculations of expected losses that will see us come in/or only just over the losses allowed - remember none of us know what impact Covid will have on the calculations for P&S - a lot of the losses we've seen may well be written off from a calculation perspective.

On the other hand, Derby have essentially been at war with the EFL for months - used creative accounting to stop them breaching P&S limits that was found to be dodgy - failed to resubmit accounts by the deadline, didn't pay players one month etc, etc.

So whilst we may one day see a points deduction (but by no means guaranteed), our situation is just not comparable to the Derby shitshow.

As may also have been mentioned, how annoyed would you be as a Wycombe fan right now - though they may find a promotion race more entertaining than another battle to stay up.

This is true, but as someone I saw on twitter posted, they only ended up in the play-offs, when they got promoted, due to COVID and the league shutting down. :wink:

:-) True enough - would still feel like you've been cheated out of a place - wasn't it Peterborough who missed out and have now taken the place of whipping boys (apart from Forest) - so has probably all evened up. Would be quite entertaining to see Wycombe up and Derby down this season though.

At the moment, you would have to say that with the deductions and on what we've seen so far - the bottom 3 looks likely to be made up of 3 of Forest, Derby, Peterborough, Hull & Blackpool. I don't think we'll be too close to that lot for a too long. Fingers crossed.

And peterboro only got up last year due to the most ridiculous dive to win a pen in the last minute of their final match this year.

Interesting to note how much Swansea, Barnsley and ourselves are struggling this year - all in that low bottom half section. I think we’re better than the names above mentioned, plus those two. Also the likes of Luton; Bristol and millwall are prob about the same level. We should be fine

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2021 09:01

Increasingly I think we're managing FFP very well after the Dai's initial irresponsible spending. Working with the EFL to bring in affordable, shrewd signings; just need to be a better selling club. So I'd hope no points deduction.

Was it Derby who overvalued their stadium in a sale to the owner? And found a creative way of paying Rooney's wages? If so, a deduction looks fully justified.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Sep 2021 09:06

Hughton officially gone.

At least it will mean we will avoid having John Terry as our manager should Paunovic leave. Terry the favourite to take over at Forest.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2021 09:25

Anyone else remember how many people tipped Forest for promotion this season after Hughton got appointed?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Sep 2021 09:40

NewCorkSeth Anyone else remember how many people tipped Forest for promotion this season after Hughton got appointed?

Wasn’t that last season? Don’t think anyone thought they would do much this time round based off last season.

They recruited a lot of players that were decent on paper, and with a manager with a proven track record of promotion it wasn’t an unrealistic shout. Yes they have failed absolutely spectacularly but hindsight is 20/20.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2021 09:47

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Agree to an extent, but he could also just be past his sell by date now.

I bet Holmes and Laurent are happy they didn't end up there - if those rumours were ever true.
Last edited by Stranded on 16 Sep 2021 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Sep 2021 09:48

Stranded
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Agree to an extent, but he could also just be past his sell by date now.

Yeah he could well be, guess we will only know when he moves on to another club. If he fails again at Championship level it will be pretty much the end for him.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Sep 2021 09:53

NewCorkSeth Anyone else remember how many people tipped Forest for promotion this season after Hughton got appointed?

To be fair he has had a good track record and I would have chosen him above Pauno so not really sure what has gone wrong at Forest. Could be other reasons behind the scenes.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 16 Sep 2021 10:00

NathStPaul Hughton officially gone.

At least it will mean we will avoid having John Terry as our manager should Paunovic leave. Terry the favourite to take over at Forest.

Linked with Steve Cooper this morning

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Sep 2021 10:02

Simon's Church

There are a lot of options for them, few relatively experienced Championship managers are available at the moment and whoever comes in can't exactly do worse than Chris Hughton so it is a fairly attractive job.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Sep 2021 10:09

Hound
Stranded
Hendo
This is true, but as someone I saw on twitter posted, they only ended up in the play-offs, when they got promoted, due to COVID and the league shutting down. :wink:

:-) True enough - would still feel like you've been cheated out of a place - wasn't it Peterborough who missed out and have now taken the place of whipping boys (apart from Forest) - so has probably all evened up. Would be quite entertaining to see Wycombe up and Derby down this season though.

At the moment, you would have to say that with the deductions and on what we've seen so far - the bottom 3 looks likely to be made up of 3 of Forest, Derby, Peterborough, Hull & Blackpool. I don't think we'll be too close to that lot for a too long. Fingers crossed.

And peterboro only got up last year due to the most ridiculous dive to win a pen in the last minute of their final match this year.

Interesting to note how much Swansea, Barnsley and ourselves are struggling this year - all in that low bottom half section. I think we’re better than the names above mentioned, plus those two. Also the likes of Luton; Bristol and millwall are prob about the same level. We should be fine

Swansea lost their two main scorers from last year - were always going to struggle. Barnsley lost their manager who was massively outperforming their abilities. Whilst we’ve lost Meite and Joao, on paper our squad is far better than both of theirs

Think ‘Boro were up with 1/2 games to spare although do remember the dive being fairly embarrassing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2021 12:36

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL Reported on Quest that the points deduction was for financial irregularities. in other words manipulating the figures. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it`s our turn next.

We didn't manipulate figures though

Say rather, at present nothing we know indicates we manipulated the figures.

We may well have done. And we'd only know once we were found out and charged

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 16 Sep 2021 13:18

Simon's Church

Stephen Reid has taken over temporarily.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 16 Sep 2021 14:03

So, EFL saying that there has been no decision on a points deduction for Derby.

"In an attempt to resolve all remaining issues with the EFL in regard to its P&S submissions the club provided the EFL with information prior to last month's deadline and this remains under review by the league's executive," an EFL statement read."

"There are no timescales for this matter to be concluded and the league will not be providing any further comment at this time."

Make of that what you will.....

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 Sep 2021 14:38

Personally I think Chris Wilder would do a good job at Forest, depending on the barking owners leaving him to get on with it.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 16 Sep 2021 15:01

Derby fans up in arms about their trip to sheff utd due to the ludicrous ticket pricing. £37 :shock: that’s bang out of order.

17149 posts