Rival Watch

17149 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Mar 2023 16:51

There's a few elements that have to be combined really.

1. How many games have you won at home.
  2. How often have you been in a promotion/relegation battle.
  3. Average number of goals/shots
  4. How 'likeable' are your players.

One thing I remember about winning promotion in 2012 was how we had a song for pretty much every player in the team. I didn't go to a lot of games in Stam's first season, but I get the impression there wasn't the same attachment to the players even then.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Mar 2023 17:01

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Yes, almost exclusively yes. Many have been in the PL more recently. Many have more gularly finished top half of the Championship.

The likes of Rotherham, Bristol, Wigan and Sunderland have enjoyed success in League One in that time, even if not in the Championship or above.

If you plotted average place within a division across 10 years, most of those teams would be above us.

Saw this yesterday and was interested to see what the sitch was, did the full English table as thought that was the only fair way to do it from 2012/13 to now.

Reading - 33rd average position
Rotherham - 46th average position
Bristol City - 38th average position
Wigan - 41st average position
Sunderland - 31st average position

So only Sunderland would be above us and that is only because they lasted for an additional 4 years in the Prem after we got relegated in 2012/13

But, teams that are consistently fighting for promotion in L1 will have happier and more engaged supporters than those who are consistently fighting relegation in the Championship.

Which is why I think position is respective league, not overall league placing is important.

I don't know, will they? Or does that depend on the fanbase and the quality of football you're viewing? I personally would go and watch better quality football.

For example, Wigan's average home attendance for last season was 9,547. Their average home attendance so far this season is 11,680.

Obviously some variables here, more local derbies in the Championship, possibly more clubs with better away followings etc, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that fans would prefer to watch football at a better standard.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Mar 2023 17:20

I’d far prefer watching lower mid in the champ to upper mid in div1

We’ve had some dire years but still some good highlights in there - games like Blackburn, Norwich even sheff utd this year when we’ve mixed it with some good teams

Again most of that Pauno season 1 was decent, just weren’t there to see it. Even Bowen’s initial period was pretty enjoyable

This seaosn was always going to be shit. As was last year really. And clement’s season, but even that had some good times towards the end

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 24 Mar 2023 18:11

RFCMod I was taken to my first game in the mid 80's at around 7 yrs old and got the bug from there and progressed to the South Bank and then travelling away week in, week out My 11 and 13yr old both have season tickets and next week Brizzle will be their first away game

Very much the same for me. Born in the North, my folks moved down here for work, post-university. Neither were football fans. Mum got free tickets for the Milk Cup Reading v Oxford match mid-80s too and that was that. Started going with friends from school, Saturday job and never ever stopped. Still have a soft spot for my hometown club, but I support Reading. Going to the pub and watching games with your mates > watching it on TV from afar.

Had a few years away at university and went to a fair few Newcastle games. Have a soft spot for them. Ended up back in Reading with my job, got married and my three kids are all Reading fans. Middle-one's now at Cardiff Uni and he's doing the same. No doubt my youngest will do the same later this year, though I'm really hoping he doesn't get in at Portsmouth. :mrgreen: Equally, should any of them end up settling elsewhere, I really hope they're not too parochial and give their local team a chance.

RFCMod How ever much the 1000's of kids for a quid can be annoying you would hope that a percentage may stick with it and start the next generation

Absolutely.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Mar 2023 07:49

Whore Jackie
RFCMod I was taken to my first game in the mid 80's at around 7 yrs old and got the bug from there and progressed to the South Bank and then travelling away week in, week out My 11 and 13yr old both have season tickets and next week Brizzle will be their first away game

Very much the same for me. Born in the North, my folks moved down here for work, post-university. Neither were football fans. Mum got free tickets for the Milk Cup Reading v Oxford match mid-80s too and that was that. Started going with friends from school, Saturday job and never ever stopped. Still have a soft spot for my hometown club, but I support Reading. Going to the pub and watching games with your mates > watching it on TV from afar.

Had a few years away at university and went to a fair few Newcastle games. Have a soft spot for them. Ended up back in Reading with my job, got married and my three kids are all Reading fans. Middle-one's now at Cardiff Uni and he's doing the same. No doubt my youngest will do the same later this year, though I'm really hoping he doesn't get in at Portsmouth. :mrgreen: Equally, should any of them end up settling elsewhere, I really hope they're not too parochial and give their local team a chance.

RFCMod How ever much the 1000's of kids for a quid can be annoying you would hope that a percentage may stick with it and start the next generation

Absolutely.

Agree, just wish the general adult pricing was better (it used to be) as £29 to watch the utterly negative tripe you get served up really isn’t vfm, and if it was reduced or at least discounted for some games then mum and dad going might bring youngsters as a day trip as well when kid for a quid isn’t happening (which is by far the majority of games).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Mar 2023 11:08

I do think it’s difficult to moan about the general ticket pricing tbh. It’s very generous overall

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 25 Mar 2023 16:13

Wrexham are winning 1-0 v York, Phil Parkinson is the man.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Mar 2023 16:16

karbota Wrexham are winning 1-0 v York, Phil Parkinson is the man.
never used to score many for us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2023 16:31

Belter against Wolves from miles out though

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 25 Mar 2023 16:44

Snowflake Royal Belter against Wolves from miles out though

O yes and don't forget the diving header.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 25 Mar 2023 22:15

3-0 win, is Parky coming home?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Mar 2023 23:13

karbota 3-0 win, is Parky coming home?

He's running a massive fish in a tiny pond, not remotely impressed at the moment.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 Mar 2023 08:57

Parky for Chorley FC it is.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 28 Mar 2023 16:32

tidus_mi2

He's running a massive fish in a tiny pond, not remotely impressed at the moment.

League 1 manager at best based on his previous Football League management experience. I'd only want him back if we found ourselves back in the third division.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Apr 2023 13:32

So far so good at HT, Preston 2-0 Blackpool

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Apr 2023 14:29

Luton beat Watford 2-0. Naturally Rob Edwards had extra motivation to do a turn on Watford. Think he would have been a good fit for us, if fate had decreed otherwise.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Apr 2023 14:41

Yeah, Luton have done well, a very very outside shout for promotion, and a virtually nailed-on slot in the play-offs, our ex Osho opened the scoring.

Meanwhile, ‘mighty’ Watford (and their assortment of managers) are comfortable to settle in no-mans land mid-table mediocrity :idea:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Apr 2023 15:07

AthleticoSpizz Yeah, Luton have done well, a very very outside shout for promotion, and a virtually nailed-on slot in the play-offs, our ex Osho opened the scoring.

Meanwhile, ‘mighty’ Watford (and their assortment of managers) are comfortable to settle in no-mans land mid-table mediocrity :idea:

Another to the list stellar oxf*rd ups from the RFC hierarchy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Apr 2023 15:16

Think he turned the contract down didn’t he?
Prob at a time when we couldn’t afford much and he’s hardly been a roaring success there. But yeah always liked him here

Anyway, another defeat for cackpool

Wigan 1 up against dire QPR which might not be a bad result if it ended that way

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Apr 2023 15:20

Hound Think he turned the contract down didn’t he?
Prob at a time when we couldn’t afford much and he’s hardly been a roaring success there. But yeah always liked him here

Anyway, another defeat for cackpool

Wigan 1 up against dire QPR which might not be a bad result if it ended that way

He did, but I'm still counting it as a oxf*rd up given the dross we've signed in recent years, whose wasted wages could've at least partly been offered to players like Osho.

17149 posts