17149 posts
Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Jul 2019 11:46

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Zip
Surprised they can afford it after the tens of millions they frittered away last year

They almost certainly can't, but as long as they don't blow their whole loss allowance now as well as fail to go up immediately, they'll be ok as long as they make it back in 3 seasons.

Here's to them making an almighty pig's ear of it then.

I thought the whole point of parachute money was to manage the return to Championship income with Premiership expenditure in the short term, not a mad panic to jump back on the gravy train as it pulls out of the station.

And yes, I do realise we are as guilty as anyone of doing it and it's a factor in our current financial predicament.

+1 Leon & Despair. Can't stand Fulham. Poxy little club with a massively overinflated sense of entitlement who only managed to get to the upper echelons of English football thanks to a dodgy posh shop owner.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2019 11:53

Yeah it’s a good point FDTW

Fulham have used it solely to fund a return to the Prem. It doesn’t sit too easy with me tbh

It’s a very good forward line they’ve put together and with the likes of Mawson and Cairney, they’d do pretty well not to go back up tbh.

Obviously hope it all goes tits up for them though but they look very strong

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jul 2019 11:57

Tilehurstsouthbank
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal They almost certainly can't, but as long as they don't blow their whole loss allowance now as well as fail to go up immediately, they'll be ok as long as they make it back in 3 seasons.

Here's to them making an almighty pig's ear of it then.

I thought the whole point of parachute money was to manage the return to Championship income with Premiership expenditure in the short term, not a mad panic to jump back on the gravy train as it pulls out of the station.

And yes, I do realise we are as guilty as anyone of doing it and it's a factor in our current financial predicament.

+1 Leon & Despair. Can't stand Fulham. Poxy little club with a massively overinflated sense of entitlement who only managed to get to the upper echelons of English football thanks to a dodgy posh shop owner.

I've nothing against Fulham in particular, it just pisses me off that parachute money further encourages this shit or bust attitude to football finance when it was originally introduced to give clubs a cushion for shifting on players on Premiership contracts. It's not the parachute payments that are the issue, more the way clubs use them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2019 12:05

I understand fully the reasoning behind parachute payments. They allow promoted teams to make a decent fist of premier league survival with a safety net against financial ruin if they go down.

However, in the past 5 years or so it seems like relegated sides have been able to pay enormous transfer fees to strengthen without too much pain of sales and moving on big earners. See Villa. This suggests the payments are too big and are going beyond their objective.

My other gripe is you can avoid consequences of FFP breaches if you go up. The authorities should have the power to relegate you back if you won promotion by cheating. We're suffering to meet FFP right now; teams who don't show the rules the same respect need far stronger punishments.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Jul 2019 12:14

Parachute payments should only be used on wages, not transfer fees.
Its like relegated teams have a extra cash injection on top of the PL money to have a head start on the rest of the league. Just doesn't sit well with me.
Plus its Fulham, worst fans and they have a neutral stand....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2019 12:17

WestYorksRoyal My other gripe is you can avoid consequences of FFP breaches if you go up. The authorities should have the power to relegate you back if you won promotion by cheating. We're suffering to meet FFP right now; teams who don't show the rules the same respect need far stronger punishments.

yeah its an issue that certainly. Is it because the EFL and PL are run by different bodies? But they should align it

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2019 12:21

Hound
WestYorksRoyal My other gripe is you can avoid consequences of FFP breaches if you go up. The authorities should have the power to relegate you back if you won promotion by cheating. We're suffering to meet FFP right now; teams who don't show the rules the same respect need far stronger punishments.

yeah its an issue that certainly. Is it because the EFL and PL are run by different bodies? But they should align it

That is the reason, but it really shouldn't be hard for the 2 bodies to cooperate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 12:35

Coppells Lost Coat Parachute payments should only be used on wages, not transfer fees.
Its like relegated teams have a extra cash injection on top of the PL money to have a head start on the rest of the league. Just doesn't sit well with me.

PL should pay parachute payments to the FL / PFA who then pay the money direct to existing players for their wages beyond a certain amount, which is the average Champ wage, or the highest salary for a new signing since relegation, maybe beyond 90% of turnover.

Don't give them an option on throwing it away on new signings and fees.

Any surplus going to grass roots football or fan ownership initiatives.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jul 2019 13:26

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat Parachute payments should only be used on wages, not transfer fees.

PL should pay parachute payments to the FL / PFA who then pay the money direct to existing players for their wages beyond a certain amount, which is the average Champ wage, or the highest salary for a new signing since relegation, maybe beyond 90% of turnover.

Personally think all parachute payments should be scrapped or at least only available for 1 season. Certainly think the above suggestion is an improvement though.

Or perhaps their should be a 20 club PL2 with no parachute payments for those relegated to the FL.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Jul 2019 15:03

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

Personally think all parachute payments should be scrapped or at least only available for 1 season. Certainly think the above suggestion is an improvement though.

Or perhaps their should be a 20 club PL2 with no parachute payments for those relegated to the FL.

The problem is, though, that with no parachute payments a promoted club can't finance any new players because the contracts are more than likely going to last 3 or more years. So the promoted clubs would be basically screwed from the start and that doesn't make the PL in any way competitive.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jul 2019 16:59

Fulham will absolutely walk the league next season - and will be a threat to our 106.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2019 17:01

paultheroyal Fulham will absolutely walk the league next season - and will be a threat to our 106.

I haven't been following their business closely, but they need to clear out the disastrous signings they made last summer.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2019 17:09

paultheroyal Fulham will absolutely walk the league next season - and will be a threat to our 106.

Wum?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Jul 2019 17:30

WestYorksRoyal

I haven't been following their business closely, but they need to clear out the disastrous signings they made last summer.

Fulham looked rubbish against Brighton last weekend (though admittedly they did win with a couple of smash-and-grab goals in the second half but only after substitutions disrupted the flow of the game). Tom Cairney got both goals and he was there last time Fulham were in the Championship. Mitrovic looked totally unfit.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jul 2019 23:01

NewCorkSeth

Wum?

NJAO

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Jul 2019 23:32

Mitrovic too good for this div really, will likely have big season.
Not sold on manager Parker as yet, will see how he does.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 27 Jul 2019 01:12

Read 3 league prediction articles today an they all had Leeds in the top 2. Will these people ever learn?

alfie9

by alfie9 » 27 Jul 2019 01:16

And so will Newcastle, and West Ham, and Wolves, and whatever big money club ends up in this league in the future :roll: :roll: :roll:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Jul 2019 09:42

alfie9

And so will Newcastle, and West Ham, and Wolves, and whatever big money club ends up in this league in the future :roll: :roll: :roll:

H
Where you going with this.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2019 10:27

paultheroyal
NewCorkSeth

Wum?

NJAO

I have no idea what that means.

17149 posts