Rival Watch

17149 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 17 Sep 2022 19:52

Sorry yeah should have been clearer and poorly written. Shouldn’t say it’s a weak or bad league, just a lot less stand out teams, or the stronger teams aren’t as good as last year

I certainly prefer it this way rather than having the likes of Fulham clearly a league above the other sides

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Sep 2022 20:20

Zip
CountryRoyal
skipper Have West Brom already blown their chances? Don't look like a team who can turn it around to being auto promotion contenders.

It’s not even about them I just can’t see Sheff or Norwich not finishing autos. They’re just a class above.

Are Narch that good? Be interesting how we get on against them especially if we beat Huddersfield on the Saturday.

Their fans are actually quite angry that they’ve been playing poorly even though they’d won six in a row before today. What they have got is a strong bench. You’ve got the likes of Hugill and Cantwell on it most times. Not unbeatable but you’ve really got to watch Pukki, his movement is phenomenal.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Sep 2022 12:58

Stranded
windermereROYAL Swifty sure does like a relegation scrap doesn`t he.

Really hard to tell if it's a case of him not being quite as good as we always thought or if he is going to be one of those players who ends up at clubs at completely the wrong time.

The Gourlay effect striking again :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Sep 2022 13:09

Cardiff sack Morrison. Interesting

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Sep 2022 14:27

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Sep 2022 14:48

Pepe the Horseman
genome Hull's defence is comical

https://twitter.com/4_4_fucking_two/sta ... wxZxA&s=19

I’m a little surprised the ref didn’t somehow find a foul there
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Sep 2022 14:56

Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman
genome Hull's defence is comical

https://twitter.com/4_4_fucking_two/sta ... wxZxA&s=19

Truly abysmal. As bad a goal as I’ve ever seen

That clown defender who dives after his keeper brushes him….absolutely pathetic

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Sep 2022 18:06

Hound Cardiff sack Morrison. Interesting

Shocked but not surprised really. I would have had Bruce or Wilder before him, but I can see why they've made that decision, they've had a pretty poor start to the season. Having said all of that, I'm not sure how good they actually are. Probably should be doing a little better than 18th but considering the overhaul they've had this summer and an argument to be had that the overall quality of their squad has got worse, not a massive shock to see them in and around where they finished last season currently.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Sep 2022 18:26

Hound
Franchise FC

Makes me wonder what are the ten worst Reading concessions?

Worthy of a thread?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Sep 2022 18:52

Snowball
Hound
Franchise FC I’m a little surprised the ref didn’t somehow find a foul there

Worthy of a thread?

#1 is that goal v Burton. Can't think of one worse than that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Sep 2022 19:10

Rougier's og in the play off final has got to feature, surely? A Barry Hunter hoofed clearance straight onto his head. Whitehead never had a chance.

If nothing else, we just fell to bits for 5 minutes and lost the game.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 18 Sep 2022 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Sep 2022 19:17

From Despair To Where? Tougoer's og in the play off final has got to feature, surely? A Barry Hunter hoofed clearance straight onto his head. Whitehead never had a chance.

If nothing else, we just fell to bits for 5 minutes and lost the game.

It was a terrible game

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Sep 2022 19:24

I just renember being in one of the front rows of the bottom tier and having an absolutely dreadful view. I had to watch the match on the giant screen at the other end of the stadium

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2022 01:04

Likewise, saw bugger all as a 10yr old in the bottom tier, cried my eyes out and I really did think at the time we would never get back up. But here we are twenty years later!

Anyhow, we are in for a right feast of football up to Xmas aren’t we. This next slog of 11 games in 42 days up to the World Cup is really going to start making the rollercoaster of the champ start to take shape.

Naturally we will be lucky to be top half by the end of it - but I’m convinced Ejaria will add some creativity as he showed during pre season and Sarr will help firm up the back line massively.

Looking at the oppo this season we don’t have as thin a squad as the pundits make you believe. PInce has a decent squad of players here - we just need to find a rhythm now as we cant be getting spanked every few weeks. I firmly believe he needs to play our strongest starting XI every week, with players in their natural positions; and see where this season takes us.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Sep 2022 07:25

royalp-we Likewise, saw bugger all as a 10yr old in the bottom tier, cried my eyes out and I really did think at the time we would never get back up. But here we are twenty years later!

Anyhow, we are in for a right feast of football up to Xmas aren’t we. This next slog of 11 games in 42 days up to the World Cup is really going to start making the rollercoaster of the champ start to take shape.

Naturally we will be lucky to be top half by the end of it - but I’m convinced Ejaria will add some creativity as he showed during pre season and Sarr will help firm up the back line massively.

Looking at the oppo this season we don’t have as thin a squad as the pundits make you believe. PInce has a decent squad of players here - we just need to find a rhythm now as we cant be getting spanked every few weeks. I firmly believe he needs to play our strongest starting XI every week, with players in their natural positions; and see where this season takes us.

With the schedule over the period up to the WC, if Ince does what you say they’ll be completely knackered by mid October. He simply has to rotate a few of them, particularly those with legs made of Pringles

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 19 Sep 2022 07:43

Stranded
Snowball
Hound

Worthy of a thread?

#1 is that goal v Burton. Can't think of one worse than that.

I have a feint memory of Federici kicking the ball into Dexter Blackstock against Forest on the opening day costing us a win.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Sep 2022 09:05

How about the backpass to Marcus Hahnemann against Brighton ?
Somehow managed to pick the ball up from the obvious backpass
Unbelievably, gave the ball back, they took it straight away and rolled the ball into the empty net

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2022 09:55

Snowball
Hound
Franchise FC I’m a little surprised the ref didn’t somehow find a foul there

Worthy of a thread?

Just make a review of most of the games from last season, that should more or less cover it, e.g. away at Luton, home to Fulham etc.

Seem to remember a long time ago the Reading v Palace game in about 1996 being a rather littered with defensive calamities.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Sep 2022 10:48

Franchise FC
royalp-we Likewise, saw bugger all as a 10yr old in the bottom tier, cried my eyes out and I really did think at the time we would never get back up. But here we are twenty years later!

With the schedule over the period up to the WC, if Ince does what you say they’ll be completely knackered by mid October. He simply has to rotate a few of them, particularly those with legs made of Pringles

Yeah rotation will be important, it's key that we don't suffer too many injuries during this period though. We will inevitably suffer from one or two like most/every team do, but if we start totting up half a dozen then it will be an issue for us.

Runs like these can be a bit of a double-edged sword though. If you're in form/on a good run, then you just want to keep playing games and likewise, on the reverse, if you're out of form you don't really want to be playing back-to-back fixtures every week/midweek. If we can win our first game at home to Huddersfield after the International break, then that will be important.

It's a bit of cliche in football, but players don't tend to get injured in winning/in form sides.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Sep 2022 11:18

I remember Wdowcyk giving Simon Shepherd an absolute hospital backpass under zero pressure against Luton which resulted in a goal for Dwight Marshall

17149 posts