Rival Watch

17149 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2023 14:25

Semenyo will probably be back next year given Bournemouth’s less than stellar performance this season. Meanwhile, for those worrying about relegation (despite the current 11 point gap between Reading and 22nd place), next Tuesday (7 Feb) sees Blackpool v Huddersfield which is the game in hand that both clubs have over Reading.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Feb 2023 14:50

I don't think we've got a great deal to worry about on the relegation front, providing we keep ticking over the points then we will be ok. A couple of wins in our next 6 for instance, then we will be in decent position for the remaining 11 games of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2023 15:10

LUX Phew.

Late winner for Luton. They missed a penalty earlier.

Cardiff in deep trouble aren’t they?

Seem to recall them bigging themselves up after beating Norwich first up. Gone very very wrong for them

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Feb 2023 17:39

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Sutekh
Comprehensive view of all clubs who have played in the Championship since the name for what is essentially Division 2 became official in 2004:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... ship_clubs

Yeah we’re definitely due a new league one way or another in the next few seasons.

I wonder what it looks like for L1 and 2 by comparison.

Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal all been in the PL since it started... but you'd expect the top flight to have some pretty long serving clubs... the wealth hoarding tossers.

Everton have never been relegated have they?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2023 17:49

John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Yeah we’re definitely due a new league one way or another in the next few seasons.

I wonder what it looks like for L1 and 2 by comparison.

Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal all been in the PL since it started... but you'd expect the top flight to have some pretty long serving clubs... the wealth hoarding tossers.

They have. More than once.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Feb 2023 18:03

Everton have had the most seasons in the top tier. Arsenal have the longest unbroken run in the top flight (since 1919 when they blagged their way up when Leeds City got booted out) but we're relegated pre WW1.

Off the top of my head, Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool are the only teams who've never been out of the top tier in my lifetime (Born 1971)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Feb 2023 18:45

Hound
LUX Phew.

Seem to recall them bigging themselves up after beating Norwich first up. Gone very very wrong for them

Their fans were not bigging themselves up at all. They were delighted and surprised to have won the game

They have endured rotten luck. Losing Sala who was their record signing was bad enough. They may well have stayed up if Sala hadn't died in that awful accident and now they are paying many millions for that transfer. A double hit.

I hope they stay up.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Feb 2023 19:24

Zip
Hound
LUX Phew.

Their fans were not bigging themselves up at all. They were delighted and surprised to have won the game

They have endured rotten luck. Losing Sala who was their record signing was bad enough. They may well have stayed up if Sala hadn't died in that awful accident and now they are paying many millions for that transfer. A double hit.

I hope they stay up.

I’m with you Zip, if it wasn’t for bad luck they’d have no luck. I hope they stay up as long as it isn’t at our expense! I like to see all Welsh clubs do well and I’m hoping more locally Wrexham can get back in the league this year. I’m enjoying Colwyn Bay’s unbeaten league season in Cymru North at the moment,drew the first game and then have won the next 18 in a row!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Feb 2023 19:29

Mr Optimist
Zip
Hound

I hope they stay up.

I’m with you Zip, if it wasn’t for bad luck they’d have no luck. I hope they stay up as long as it isn’t at our expense! I like to see all Welsh clubs do well and I’m hoping more locally Wrexham can get back in the league this year. I’m enjoying Colwyn Bay’s unbeaten league season in Cymru North at the moment,drew the first game and then have won the next 18 in a row!

With you all the way on this and as you say I want Cardiff to stay up but absolutely not at our expense.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2023 20:03

Nameless
John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal I wonder what it looks like for L1 and 2 by comparison.

They have. More than once.

Spurs have been in the top division since 1978
Arsenal since 1919
Everton since 1954
Liverpool since 1962
ManU since 1975
Chelsea since 1989
ManC since 2002

Arsenal are the only team in the top 4 divisions that have never been promoted (they “bribed” their way up to the first division).

Everton have competed in the most top flight seasons (119 of the 123 possible) though that is in serious threat of changing this time round :lol:

Villa have played the next most top flight seasons (109) with Liverpool third on 108.

There are 5 current football league sides who have only managed 1 season in the top flight and 6 teams that have had at least 1 season in the top flight that are no longer in the top 4 divisions.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2023 16:58

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

There is definitely a lot more resolve about our aquad this season. It mirrors the manager's personality.
Think we will be ok. We can all agree the last two results have given us breathing space. We had been on a run of just 5 points from 9 games.

The last two have helped tremendously. We're equally as capable of going on a little unbeaten run with a good number of wins as a barren winless run of sub relegation form though.

I worry about goals. They look like they could dry up at any point. We aren't creating a lot and are relying on being clinical again.

We should be fine though.

Yep. We are not creating much at all and another run of poor results can happen again. Usually by this stage of the season you want certain teams to win or lose. I have no idea whether I wants teams in the bottom six or top six to win.

For the record Reading's next 7 games are Watford (h), Sunderland (a), Rotherham (h), Cardiff (a), Blackpool (h), Middlesbrough (a), Sheffield United (h) and after that lot we should know if the club are going to be safe or still worrying that it might go to a dodgy end to the season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Feb 2023 17:35

Sutekh
Zip
Snowflake Royal The last two have helped tremendously. We're equally as capable of going on a little unbeaten run with a good number of wins as a barren winless run of sub relegation form though.

I worry about goals. They look like they could dry up at any point. We aren't creating a lot and are relying on being clinical again.

We should be fine though.

Yep. We are not creating much at all and another run of poor results can happen again. Usually by this stage of the season you want certain teams to win or lose. I have no idea whether I wants teams in the bottom six or top six to win.

For the record Reading's next 7 games are Watford (h), Sunderland (a), Rotherham (h), Cardiff (a), Blackpool (h), Middlesbrough (a), Sheffield United (h) and after that lot we should know if the club are going to be safe or still worrying that it might go to a dodgy end to the season.

I'll predict 8pts of that lot. Wins against Rotherham and Blackpool, draws against Watford and Cardiff, defeats to Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Sheffield United.

I'd love to be more optimistic but our away form is diabolical, so unless we change things up I don't see us getting much change from those teams, could maybe sneak a win against Cardiff because they're in pretty terrible form right now.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Feb 2023 18:58

tidus_mi2
Sutekh
Zip

I'll predict 8pts of that lot. Wins against Rotherham and Blackpool, draws against Watford and Cardiff, defeats to Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Sheffield United.

I'd love to be more optimistic but our away form is diabolical, so unless we change things up I don't see us getting much change from those teams, could maybe sneak a win against Cardiff because they're in pretty terrible form right now.

I'd take that now - would take us to 45 and pretty much safe with the remaining games left with only Burnley from the top sides to play

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2023 19:29

8 points and avoiding defeat to Blackpool Rotherham and Cardiff would be fine

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 03 Feb 2023 20:40

Our form this season has been so inconsistent which is to be expected with our current predicament. We seem to get into some form and have a decent spell of games and then it all goes pear shaped and we go on one of those horrible winless runs, one minute we look like play-off hopefuls followed by oh shit and we're looking down the table again.

So I'm hoping we can pretty much follow this same pattern and if that one more spell of decent results comes along that should pretty much see us safe for this season.

Our current squad is more than capable of getting us to safety without to many concerns, the one person who could mess this up is the manager and his persistence with playing players out of their natural positions!!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2023 22:05

Even a win tomorrow just takes a lot of pressure off. It will end a little bit of a slump, it will give us even more breathing space from the sides struggling at the bottom and will probably move us up 2/3 places and looking a lot healthier, although it's a tough ask against Watford.

But if we do win then it takes all the pressure off the Sunderland game and means we can (kind of) focus on those 3 games after Sunderland where you'd be expecting us to take a minimum of 6 points from those games. It's a weird league though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 00:41

Would mainly like to avoid losing, keeps a bit of a barren win run becoming more like a losing streak. And every point is one step closer and a harder job to overhaul us.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Feb 2023 19:46

Looking ok - bottom 4 sides still not progressing past a point a game so 10 more points may do it; the earlier predictions of 52-55 points for safety look wide of the mark now.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Feb 2023 20:13

I’d like to be the same number of points ahead of the bottom three as we have games left

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 20:15

I'm looking forward to the magic number going lower than our current total of points.

17149 posts