Rival Watch

17149 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2023 11:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 Yep, real shame really that Madejski at the point he did sell was so desperate for the sale he got conned by AZ, ended up losing more money by essentially bailing us out and taking control again when it was found AZ actually had no money.

So I'll be forever grateful he had the foresight to put the clause in the deal that ownership would default back to him should AZ fail to buy the remaining % of the club or I feel we definitely would have gone into administration.

Yep. And the Thais weren't really asset strippers. They selarated out a relatively unimportant piece of land where development would benefit the club. And bailed us out of issues with Vibrac and HMRC when Madejski couldn’t.

It's Yongge that's the asset stripper. Sold the old training ground, new training ground and stadium out from the club's control, to perpetuate his apalling overspending and stave off the FL a couple of extra seasons

Wasn't the debacle around selling it to himself though? Is it not the club who now own the training ground? I don't think he's stripped the club of assets aside from the stadium, but I think it was all a plan to increase revenue to help bypass FFP for as long as possible.

He sold the new training ground and the stadium to himself.

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 May 2023 11:59

tidus_mi2 Man, so frustrating to see Brighton secure a top 6 position, basically where we were in 2007, that for me was one of the only mistakes Coppell made, massively playing down European football.

Whoa!
I can recall an item from a few years ago, stating that Brighton's owner had (then) put about a quarter of a billion £ into the club.
Not Citeh levels, but for a provincial club, very substantial.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 May 2023 12:29

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Yep. And the Thais weren't really asset strippers. They selarated out a relatively unimportant piece of land where development would benefit the club. And bailed us out of issues with Vibrac and HMRC when Madejski couldn’t.

It's Yongge that's the asset stripper. Sold the old training ground, new training ground and stadium out from the club's control, to perpetuate his apalling overspending and stave off the FL a couple of extra seasons

Wasn't the debacle around selling it to himself though? Is it not the club who now own the training ground? I don't think he's stripped the club of assets aside from the stadium, but I think it was all a plan to increase revenue to help bypass FFP for as long as possible.

So not an asset stripper then

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 May 2023 12:36

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Yep. And the Thais weren't really asset strippers. They selarated out a relatively unimportant piece of land where development would benefit the club. And bailed us out of issues with Vibrac and HMRC when Madejski couldn’t.

He sold the training ground to RFC Bearwood Limited, which is a subsidiary of The Reading Football Club Limited. I think he just sold it from one part of the club to the other.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 May 2023 13:41

Elm Park Kid No one knows if surviving an extra season would have made any difference in the long-run. I think that the late 00s was already a bit too late for Reading to establish itself as a permanent PL club without a billionaire bankrolling us. You need that additional revenue that comes from a widespread support at home and abroad - I feel like Reading was already fighting an extremely difficult battle back then to get the attention of the younger generations. Yes, you've got other clubs that were our size now in the PL - but most of them have had a lot of additional cash ploughed into them.

Big John did what he could. He wasn't going to put his personal finances at risk in order to gamble on the club. We've seen the painful consequences of owners trying to do that. He tried to sell the club to someone he thought could spend what he couldn't - he messed up - it is what it is.

I think we could've established ourselves if we'd stayed up in that second season. I think Wigan are a good comparison - just about stayed up in their second season and were only relegated in their eighth season (albeit they were in a relegation battle most years). Wigan are are surrounded by much bigger clubs and rugby league is the biggest sport in the city. We probably have/had more potential to grow into an established Premier League club than Wigan because of these factors.

Stoke spent ten seasons in the Premier League (being mid-table for all but their final season); Swansea had seven seasons (mid-table for all but their final two seasons). I can't remember what either sides' financial backing was at the time though.

I believe a third season would've made a big impact for us: we might've gone ahead with the stadium expansion and I think we'd've had more incentive to make some serious transfers due to the relative lack of spending in the previous couple of seasons. I seem to recall we had John Mensah (I think) lined up to sign if we'd stayed up that season - who would've been a huge upgrade on our defence at the time.

If you look at the side that started at Derby on the final day of that season - Hahnemann; Murty, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Shorey; Oster, Matejovsky, Harper, Hunt; Lita, Kitson - there are only two players there who didn't play in the 106 season and the two wingers were second choice that season (Hunt did improve a lot in the Premier League though). You have to get to the tenth most used player to find someone not at the club during the 106 season (Bikey) and he played less than 40% of minutes.

I think the club had realised before the end of that season we needed to strengthen if we wanted to remain in the Premier League for a prolonged period. The problem was we narrowly got relegated after a decline in form towards the end of the season and we couldn't make it back the following season - killing the chance of establishing ourselves at that level.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 May 2023 13:45

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

He sold the training ground to RFC Bearwood Limited, which is a subsidiary of The Reading Football Club Limited. I think he just sold it from one part of the club to the other.

Not sure on the accounting mechanics but the above is as stated in the accounts. The training ground, or at least the company that owns the training ground, is fully owned by the football club.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 May 2023 13:45

How good a player was Matejovsky!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 14:05

Mr Angry How good a player was Matejovsky!

Brilliant, as long as you didn't need anyone to do any defending or tacking. If you did he was a liability.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2023 16:02

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

So not an asset stripper then

He has stripped the assets from the club into separate entities he owns.

Owner =/= club

Although that may not be definitively the case with the training ground it seems.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2023 16:45

Dirk Gently

Brilliant, as long as you didn't need anyone to do any defending or tacking. If you did he was a liability.

Still playing in the Czech top flight at 41.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2023 17:22

overrated, or did we expect too much from him…..or both?

Wasn't a fan tbh

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 May 2023 21:01

He was arguably the best technical player the club's ever had. Matejovsky's biggest problems here were the players around him weren't on the same wavelength and I don't think he really worked in a two-man midfield.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 May 2023 21:23

I was waiting for the "not on the same wavelength" post and I've not been disappointed

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 May 2023 21:56

genome I was waiting for the "not on the same wavelength" post and I've not been disappointed

Happy to oblige! :D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 21:58

We tried to bring a flair player, who played in a different way to the rest of the team's style, into a very tight-knit set of players whose main strength was their togetherness and understanding of each other.

That player's style of play was not suited to a defensive midfield role, and he was played in a team was frequently under the cosh and fighting a relegation battle where they all had to graft to survive.

We failed; he failed in what we needed him to do for us; we were relegated.

I still utterly believe that a less talented but much more pragmatic defensive midfielder who fitted much better into the team would have kept us up.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2023 22:06

I was going to say "Great player but not what we needed"

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 May 2023 22:28

From Despair To Where? I was going to say "Great player but not what we needed"

If only Scott Brown had chosen us over Celtic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2023 23:05

Clyde1998

He was arguably the best technical player the club's ever had. Matejovsky's biggest problems here were the players around him weren't on the same wavelength and I don't think he really worked in a two-man midfield.

Like buggery was he.

Gylfi is a far superior player and technician. Ejaria is technically better. As was Little.

If you can't adapt your game to the players around you, you're hardly very technical. Playing passes your team mates can't read is not a sign of a good player.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2023 06:33

Clyde1998
Elm Park Kid No one knows if surviving an extra season would have made any difference in the long-run. I think that the late 00s was already a bit too late for Reading to establish itself as a permanent PL club without a billionaire bankrolling us. You need that additional revenue that comes from a widespread support at home and abroad - I feel like Reading was already fighting an extremely difficult battle back then to get the attention of the younger generations. Yes, you've got other clubs that were our size now in the PL - but most of them have had a lot of additional cash ploughed into them.

Big John did what he could. He wasn't going to put his personal finances at risk in order to gamble on the club. We've seen the painful consequences of owners trying to do that. He tried to sell the club to someone he thought could spend what he couldn't - he messed up - it is what it is.

I think we could've established ourselves if we'd stayed up in that second season. I think Wigan are a good comparison - just about stayed up in their second season and were only relegated in their eighth season (albeit they were in a relegation battle most years). Wigan are are surrounded by much bigger clubs and rugby league is the biggest sport in the city. We probably have/had more potential to grow into an established Premier League club than Wigan because of these factors.

Stoke spent ten seasons in the Premier League (being mid-table for all but their final season); Swansea had seven seasons (mid-table for all but their final two seasons). I can't remember what either sides' financial backing was at the time though.

I believe a third season would've made a big impact for us: we might've gone ahead with the stadium expansion and I think we'd've had more incentive to make some serious transfers due to the relative lack of spending in the previous couple of seasons. I seem to recall we had John Mensah (I think) lined up to sign if we'd stayed up that season - who would've been a huge upgrade on our defence at the time.

If you look at the side that started at Derby on the final day of that season - Hahnemann; Murty, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Shorey; Oster, Matejovsky, Harper, Hunt; Lita, Kitson - there are only two players there who didn't play in the 106 season and the two wingers were second choice that season (Hunt did improve a lot in the Premier League though). You have to get to the tenth most used player to find someone not at the club during the 106 season (Bikey) and he played less than 40% of minutes.

I think the club had realised before the end of that season we needed to strengthen if we wanted to remain in the Premier League for a prolonged period. The problem was we narrowly got relegated after a decline in form towards the end of the season and we couldn't make it back the following season - killing the chance of establishing ourselves at that level.

The most annoying thing about that season was letting Fulham do the double over us, both by two goal margins and conceding very late in both games. Keeping both defeats to just a 1 goal margin would have kept Reading up! Also if SC had known that a 7-0 win at Derby would have done it anyway, Reading may well still have managed it as Derby were truly the worst PL side ever that year.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2023 06:37

Dirk Gently We tried to bring a flair player, who played in a different way to the rest of the team's style, into a very tight-knit set of players whose main strength was their togetherness and understanding of each other.

That player's style of play was not suited to a defensive midfield role, and he was played in a team was frequently under the cosh and fighting a relegation battle where they all had to graft to survive.

We failed; he failed in what we needed him to do for us; we were relegated.

I still utterly believe that a less talented but much more pragmatic defensive midfielder who fitted much better into the team would have kept us up.

At the end of the day they just weren't all on the same wavelength, too many had become tuned to BBC Berks.

17149 posts