The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by The Royal Forester » 20 May 2022 14:28

Crowbar6753
NathStPaul
tidus_mi2 Swindon lose in the L2 play-off semi-final

Lulz

Would rather our rivals were successful tbh, would be nice to have a rival in the same league as us. Makes it a bit more interesting.

With you here Nath, would love to have the whole "Thames Valley Triangle" going on in the Chump!! Oxford have been threatening for a while but seem to shit the bed in May.
Swindon looking way off the pace but could come good now they've got there backroom issues sorted. I believe the fans have some control of the club and they've been getting some pretty impressive support this season.[/quote

(from The Royal Forester, don't know what happened there.
Wycombe could be in the Championship next season. Or, do you, like me not think of them as a rival? I assume they don't rate as a rival with me is because we haven't much "history" playing them in the good old days, but as our nearest league team they should be bitter rivals! Maybe it's because Wycombe got into the League because they were promoted into it, unlike the team from a University town up the road who were voted into it on the basis of a few good FA Cup results (the first time) , but who have since been promoted back into the League. Strange isn't it?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2022 15:23

Zip
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Stam didn't get nearly enough shit for his tactics that day. Huddersfield were there for the taking.

Understood the cagey affair given the magnitude of the game but as you say, they were certainly there for the taking and Stam played for penalties. Awful like for like subs when we should have gone for it. Sure Stam regrets it now mind

Indeed and yet we were hopeless at taking pens that season

If only they allowed rebounds :)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2022 15:24

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ
Understood the cagey affair given the magnitude of the game but as you say, they were certainly there for the taking and Stam played for penalties. Awful like for like subs when we should have gone for it. Sure Stam regrets it now mind

Indeed and yet we were hopeless at taking pens that season

If only they allowed rebounds :)

That was definitely the season for it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2022 15:27

YorkshireRoyal99 I never felt confident with either Moore or Obita, not just because they were defenders, but they never looked composed. Obita just never looked as if he was going to score and his penalty was probably the worst of the lot imo.

We definitely should have done more in the 120 minutes though. Huddersfield had two golden chances in the opening 15 minutes, that should have been a wake up call for us to take the initiative. It felt as if Stam went for what worked against Fulham, rather than what worked for us all season.

Tbf a lot of our work over the season season was present in that game, I.e. wait for openings, being patient etc. Trouble was Huddersfield were doing the exact same thing as us so aside from the first 15 minutes, we just ended up cancelling each other out. Still think a switch to the usual 4-3-3 would have given us victory but impossible to say

All a bit moot really as there’s a high chance we’d have bounced straight back down, few players would have made the step up IMO and based on the signings we did make (when we had money) transfers wouldn’t have improved the team

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 May 2022 15:51

I was thinking about the recent pitch invasions and violence that came as a result, I for one actually like pitch invasions for doing something great like avoiding relegation, gaining promotion, winning the league but it seems a bit tinpot to have a pitch invasion for making the play-offs and I say that fully aware we had a pitch invasion for thinking we'd finished 6th.

Leading on from that, maybe my memory isn't great but I don't remember us doing a pitch invasion after the Cardiff and Fulham wins that got us to the final, have pitch invasions for making the play-off final just creeped in in recent seasons? Also never remember acts of violence against players either, the worst behaviour seemed to be goading the opposition fans.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 May 2022 15:58

tidus_mi2 Leading on from that, maybe my memory isn't great but I don't remember us doing a pitch invasion after the Cardiff and Fulham wins that got us to the final, have pitch invasions for making the play-off final just creeped in in recent seasons? Also never remember acts of violence against players either, the worst behaviour seemed to be goading the opposition fans.

There was definitely a pitch invasion after the Kermorgant-inspired Fulham win as we were sat at the top of the Dolan and on the final whistle my son ran all the way down the steps to join in and I remember a nice steward opened a little gate in the hoardings so he could get onto the pitch! My boy met Gravenberch near the dugouts.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 May 2022 16:25

morganb
tidus_mi2 Leading on from that, maybe my memory isn't great but I don't remember us doing a pitch invasion after the Cardiff and Fulham wins that got us to the final, have pitch invasions for making the play-off final just creeped in in recent seasons? Also never remember acts of violence against players either, the worst behaviour seemed to be goading the opposition fans.

There was definitely a pitch invasion after the Kermorgant-inspired Fulham win as we were sat at the top of the Dolan and on the final whistle my son ran all the way down the steps to join in and I remember a nice steward opened a little gate in the hoardings so he could get onto the pitch! My boy met Gravenberch near the dugouts.

That's weird, my memory must be terrible, only thing I really remember from that match now was how crazy the atmosphere got when we approached the 90th minute.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2022 17:03

tidus_mi2
morganb

That's weird, my memory must be terrible, only thing I really remember from that match now was how crazy the atmosphere got when we approached the 90th minute.

:lol: Jnr and I were on the pitch following the Fulham win.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2022 17:04

morganb

Yeah we were high up in the ED and found our way onto the pitch.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 May 2022 17:05

The Royal Forester
Crowbar6753
NathStPaul Would rather our rivals were successful tbh, would be nice to have a rival in the same league as us. Makes it a bit more interesting.

With you here Nath, would love to have the whole "Thames Valley Triangle" going on in the Chump!! Oxford have been threatening for a while but seem to shit the bed in May.
Swindon looking way off the pace but could come good now they've got there backroom issues sorted. I believe the fans have some control of the club and they've been getting some pretty impressive support this season.[/quote

(from The Royal Forester, don't know what happened there.
Wycombe could be in the Championship next season. Or, do you, like me not think of them as a rival? I assume they don't rate as a rival with me is because we haven't much "history" playing them in the good old days, but as our nearest league team they should be bitter rivals! Maybe it's because Wycombe got into the League because they were promoted into it, unlike the team from a University town up the road who were voted into it on the basis of a few good FA Cup results (the first time) , but who have since been promoted back into the League. Strange isn't it?

I kinda like Wycombe, small town club done good. Well run, nice little ground. Don't see them as a rival really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 May 2022 18:33

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99 I never felt confident with either Moore or Obita, not just because they were defenders, but they never looked composed. Obita just never looked as if he was going to score and his penalty was probably the worst of the lot imo.

We definitely should have done more in the 120 minutes though. Huddersfield had two golden chances in the opening 15 minutes, that should have been a wake up call for us to take the initiative. It felt as if Stam went for what worked against Fulham, rather than what worked for us all season.

Tbf a lot of our work over the season season was present in that game, I.e. wait for openings, being patient etc. Trouble was Huddersfield were doing the exact same thing as us so aside from the first 15 minutes, we just ended up cancelling each other out. Still think a switch to the usual 4-3-3 would have given us victory but impossible to say

All a bit moot really as there’s a high chance we’d have bounced straight back down, few players would have made the step up IMO and based on the signings we did make (when we had money) transfers wouldn’t have improved the team

Can you imagine the state we'd have been if someone gave Stam and Gourlay PL money to spend.

Nigel Quashie on a 5 year deal at £70k a week with no relegation clauses.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 May 2022 20:56

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Can you imagine the state we'd have been if someone gave Stam and Gourlay PL money to spend.

Nigel Quashie on a 5 year deal at £70k a week with no relegation clauses.

I'd have genuinely been interested to see what kinds of signings we would have made and how our system would have faired in the PL. I would have fully anticipated we'd have gone straight back down but it certainly would have been different to the norm.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 May 2022 16:42

Looks like Sunderland are finally out of League One.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2022 16:52

Great, if Leeds come down, we'll have the 2 biggest sets of whiniest, thick as pigshit supporters in England in our league next year.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 21 May 2022 17:09

Well we know where 90% of sky games are going to be now :roll:

Leeds
Sunderland
Leeds
Leeds v Sunderland
Sunderland
Oh shit mmmm somebody else quick
Leeds
Leeds
Sunderland

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 May 2022 17:37

Loafer Well we know where 90% of sky games are going to be now :roll:

Leeds
Sunderland
Leeds
Leeds v Sunderland
Sunderland
Oh shit mmmm somebody else quick
Leeds
Leeds
Sunderland

You forgot Sunderland v Leeds

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 May 2022 17:51

I love my away trips to Sunderland and seeing some family in Seaham Harbour. A huge club who’ll bring a big away following to the SCL next season, as will Leeds if they’re relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2022 17:59

blythspartan I love my away trips to Sunderland and seeing some family in Seaham Harbour. A huge club who’ll bring a big away following to the SCL next season, as will Leeds if they’re relegated.

Both of whom will complain like whiny little bitches that we aren't giving them the whole South stand

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 May 2022 19:56

and will no doubt, find ways of integrating into the Reading seats.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 May 2022 19:58

Don't mind Sunderland coming back into the Championship, no real issue with them as a club.

Feel for Gareth Ainsworth, he deserves to be managing in the Championship.

17149 posts