Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Aug 2022 20:57

Nameless
Mr Optimist
Nameless
That sounds very odd
The rugby was sevens, so pretty much just people running on the pitch, no scrums, mauls, line outs that churn the pitch.
Their pitch is a rugby pitch anyway, so presumably designed for intense use.
I bet you they laid a new pitch this summer and used it too soon ….

Having read the report it says it was due to be relaid but wasn’t, so an already knackered pitch: didn’t we not relay ours one summer and it was awful the next season

I’d read they’d also had other events like concerts on there too so that has probably help knacker it too.

Trouble with being tenants in someone else’s ground.
Is it possible forCoventry to be promoted to the PL ?

No.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Aug 2022 21:44

Swift been pretty average for wba tonight from what I’ve watched

Wba look reasonable, Watford not too good. Great talent up front but rest of the side looks unimpressive

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Aug 2022 21:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Mr Optimist
I’d read they’d also had other events like concerts on there too so that has probably help knacker it too.

Trouble with being tenants in someone else’s ground.
Is it possible forCoventry to be promoted to the PL ?

Yes.

Where would they play ?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Aug 2022 22:02

It most likely won't stay that way but I like that we're above Stoke, Cardiff and West Brom.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Aug 2022 22:13

A number of WBA fans slagging off Swift tonight.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Aug 2022 22:21

Stranded A number of WBA fans slagging off Swift tonight.

Did he have a poor game? Or is it just a few idiots on Twitter/a WBA forum being keyboard warriors?

Swift is a decent player and I know WBA think they are a massive club but Swift is a decent signing for them.

Haven’t WBA spent quite a lot in this window? Best they go up or they may have a few financial issues?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Aug 2022 22:31

Stranded A number of WBA fans slagging off Swift tonight.

Just Reading fans posing as wba fans from what I can see.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Aug 2022 08:42

I watched WBA play Watford yesterday purely to see how Swift played and tbh he was mainly anonymous. He made a couple of decent passes but mainly he gave the ball away and stopped the fluidity of the game.

Tbf he’s probably getting used to his new team mates but he got completely outshone by Jed Wallace who was absolutely superb. He drove WBA forward for 90 plus minutes and his crossing of the ball was faultless. I might be wrong but I think Swift looked a little out of his depth but time will tell.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Aug 2022 08:49

blythspartan I watched WBA play Watford yesterday purely to see how Swift played and tbh he was mainly anonymous. He made a couple of decent passes but mainly he gave the ball away and stopped the fluidity of the game.

Tbf he’s probably getting used to his new team mates but he got completely outshone by Jed Wallace who was absolutely superb. He drove WBA forward for 90 plus minutes and his crossing of the ball was faultless. I might be wrong but I think Swift looked a little out of his depth but time will tell.

You reckon Swift is out of his depth at the top end of the Championship ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Aug 2022 09:27

Swifts quality but has always been inconsistent. Certainly wasn’t his best game last night

Agreed on Wallace who was top class

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Aug 2022 09:31

He's definitely not out of his depth at the top end of the Championship, both him and Wallace were very good when they drew at Middlesbrough on the opening weekend, obviously got his first goal there as well. Just probably wasn't one of his best games, which is typical of him.

If he could add that consistency to his game, he'd be in the PL really. He just doesn't have the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck when it's tough or the game is against him. He can always produce quality in moments though.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Aug 2022 09:46

Nameless
blythspartan I watched WBA play Watford yesterday purely to see how Swift played and tbh he was mainly anonymous. He made a couple of decent passes but mainly he gave the ball away and stopped the fluidity of the game.

Based on last night’s performance, yes. Obviously time will tell and I am open to the fact that I might be wrong. He can be quality at times but he can also be inconsistent. We’ll know come the end of the season and for what it’s worth I hope he proves me wrong.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Aug 2022 09:56

blythspartan
Nameless

Based on last night’s performance, yes. Obviously time will tell and I am open to the fact that I might be wrong. He can be quality at times but he can also be inconsistent. We’ll know come the end of the season and for what it’s worth I hope he proves me wrong.

Surely he’s played at that level before and proved he’s not out of his depth ! He’s been consistently rated as one of the best midfielders in the division for a long time.
Huge difference between having an off game and being out of his depth !

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Aug 2022 10:08

Up against a very crowded defence and with Grant getting in his way on occasions I thought he did ok.
If they were WBA fans posting they may have expected a Stevie Gerrard because of Bruce's glowing comments in the Press over the weekend.

Wallace had a really good game, in part because of support from Furlong, but he had more room to operate out wide.
Two exceptional signings at this level and if they get round to converting some more of those many chances I reckon WBA will be one of the main challengers for promotion.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Aug 2022 10:09

As a creative force Swift is one of the best operators in the Championship. He does have off days though and I remember some absolute stinkers over the years. He has always been very poor defensively and his departure is likely to see us look a lot more solid in midfield. We may not miss him as much as many of us feared.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Aug 2022 10:16

Nameless
blythspartan
Nameless

Surely he’s played at that level before and proved he’s not out of his depth ! He’s been consistently rated as one of the best midfielders in the division for a long time.
Huge difference between having an off game and being out of his depth !

Have we been a top Championship team since he’s been with us? Maybe for one season but that didn’t end well. Big fish small pond and small fish big pond springs to mind. I do rate him but as mentioned above he’s never had that ability to really grab a game by the scruff of the neck and he is inconsistent. I like players who can give a 7/8 out of 10 in every game. Yes, I’d have him back in an instant as he does have that creative spark and maybe Bruce can bring the best out of him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Aug 2022 12:09

From comments i am seeing - WBA absolutely creaming themselves over Swift, believing they have some player there (they do) and the football served up with signings first game is something to be excited about.

He will be a revelation there for them.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Aug 2022 10:52

A possibility that Coventry will be unable to fulfil their next home league fixture due to the state of their pitch (they had to play their EFL "home" game at Burton Albion's ground this week) and a real possibility of EFL sanctions including the possibility of a points deduction for the postponement of the Rotherham game last weekend.

(Though a fine is the more likely outcome).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2022 11:02

Mr Angry A possibility that Coventry will be unable to fulfil their next home league fixture due to the state of their pitch (they had to play their EFL "home" game at Burton Albion's ground this week) and a real possibility of EFL sanctions including the possibility of a points deduction for the postponement of the Rotherham game last weekend.

That would seem incredibly harsh.
They are tenants at the ground (aren’t they ?) and the state of the pitch has nothing to do with football activities or lack of maintenance by the football club. It does show the perils of not being the prime user of the ground you play at though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Aug 2022 11:15

Nameless
Mr Angry A possibility that Coventry will be unable to fulfil their next home league fixture due to the state of their pitch (they had to play their EFL "home" game at Burton Albion's ground this week) and a real possibility of EFL sanctions including the possibility of a points deduction for the postponement of the Rotherham game last weekend.

That would seem incredibly harsh.
They are tenants at the ground (aren’t they ?) and the state of the pitch has nothing to do with football activities or lack of maintenance by the football club. It does show the perils of not being the prime user of the ground you play at though.

All depends on the rules - I think there is a rule that states that the club is responsible for ensuring they have a pitch that if fit to play on. In most cases, the club would have the ability to ensure that. Coventry don't so much as they are only tenants.

I would imagine a fine as a first offence seems fair but if a 2nd or even 3rd league games gets postponed then points may get deducted. This season is already pretty compressed due to the WC and it will become unfair on the opposition if they have to squeeze these games in due to faults at Coventry's stadium.

It could actually do us a favour going into tomorrow's game at Rotherham though as they will have had a pretty disjointed start to the campaign.

17133 posts