Rival Watch

17133 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2022 11:35

Stranded
Nameless
Mr Angry A possibility that Coventry will be unable to fulfil their next home league fixture due to the state of their pitch (they had to play their EFL "home" game at Burton Albion's ground this week) and a real possibility of EFL sanctions including the possibility of a points deduction for the postponement of the Rotherham game last weekend.

(Though a fine is the more likely outcome).

That would seem incredibly harsh.
They are tenants at the ground (aren’t they ?) and the state of the pitch has nothing to do with football activities or lack of maintenance by the football club. It does show the perils of not being the prime user of the ground you play at though.

All depends on the rules - I think there is a rule that states that the club is responsible for ensuring they have a pitch that if fit to play on. In most cases, the club would have the ability to ensure that. Coventry don't so much as they are only tenants.

I would imagine a fine as a first offence seems fair but if a 2nd or even 3rd league games gets postponed then points may get deducted. This season is already pretty compressed due to the WC and it will become unfair on the opposition if they have to squeeze these games in due to faults at Coventry's stadium.

It could actually do us a favour going into tomorrow's game at Rotherham though as they will have had a pretty disjointed start to the campaign.

When Coventry we’re sharing with Birmingham it could have led to a situation where Birmingham failed to maintain the pitch ahead of Cov games, leading to games being called off and Coventry getting points deducted !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Aug 2022 11:35

6 point penalty with a further 6 suspended imo

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2022 11:37

Stranded
Nameless
Mr Angry A possibility that Coventry will be unable to fulfil their next home league fixture due to the state of their pitch (they had to play their EFL "home" game at Burton Albion's ground this week) and a real possibility of EFL sanctions including the possibility of a points deduction for the postponement of the Rotherham game last weekend.

They are tenants at the ground (aren’t they ?) and the state of the pitch has nothing to do with football activities or lack of maintenance by the football club. It does show the perils of not being the prime user of the ground you play at though.

All depends on the rules - I think there is a rule that states that the club is responsible for ensuring they have a pitch that if fit to play on. In most cases, the club would have the ability to ensure that. Coventry don't so much as they are only tenants.

I would imagine a fine as a first offence seems fair but if a 2nd or even 3rd league games gets postponed then points may get deducted. This season is already pretty compressed due to the WC and it will become unfair on the opposition if they have to squeeze these games in due to faults at Coventry's stadium.

It could actually do us a favour going into tomorrow's game at Rotherham though as they will have had a pretty disjointed start to the campaign.

Hence my previous question about whether Cov could get promoted to the PL. I believe PL clubs must have primacy of tenure at their ground. Cov don’t have that, and would probably struggle to find a ground where they could get it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Aug 2022 11:41

Nameless
Stranded
Nameless

When Coventry we’re sharing with Birmingham it could have led to a situation where Birmingham failed to maintain the pitch ahead of Cov games, leading to games being called off and Coventry getting points deducted !

Yes it could but that would essentially still be Coventry's "fault" by not having a stadium of their own or where they have primary tenancy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Aug 2022 11:49

Nameless
Stranded
Nameless

Hence my previous question about whether Cov could get promoted to the PL. I believe PL clubs must have primacy of tenure at their ground. Cov don’t have that, and would probably struggle to find a ground where they could get it.

They can be.

PL Rule K.3 states that:

Each Club shall either own its Stadium and training facilities or have a legally
enforceable agreement with its owner for its use by the Club, expiring not earlier
than the end of the current Season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2022 11:54

Stranded
Nameless
Stranded

They can be.

PL Rule K.3 states that:

Each Club shall either own its Stadium and training facilities or have a legally
enforceable agreement with its owner for its use by the Club, expiring not earlier

That doesn’t address the problem though. Such an agreement would almost certainly give the owner prime use of the stadium. So Wasps would insist their fixtures take priority. That would make things Like scheduling Sky matches very difficult let alone actually producing a fixture list.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 12 Aug 2022 12:07

I'm surprised Coventry weren't scheduled for all away games for the first few weeks of the season, to let the pitch recover. The pitch was always likely to get destroyed by having the Commonwealth rugby matches on it

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Aug 2022 12:21

Nameless
Stranded
Nameless

They can be.

PL Rule K.3 states that:

That doesn’t address the problem though. Such an agreement would almost certainly give the owner prime use of the stadium. So Wasps would insist their fixtures take priority. That would make things Like scheduling Sky matches very difficult let alone actually producing a fixture list.

Not a Rugby fan so I don't know when fixtures are released but, wouldn't it potentially make it easier as well because the PL would know when Wasps were playing so they could schedule Coventry's games around that?

Either that or you coincide it with where Wasps play i.e. Coventry play away when Wasps are at home and vice versa.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Aug 2022 12:52

Nameless
Stranded
Nameless

They can be.

PL Rule K.3 states that:

Doesn't solve the problem but the rule allows them to be promoted if they have a legally enforceable agreement to use a stadium. Only mention of primacy of tenancy is if they, as owner, allow someone else to play there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2022 13:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Stranded
They can be.

PL Rule K.3 states that:

Not a Rugby fan so I don't know when fixtures are released but, wouldn't it potentially make it easier as well because the PL would know when Wasps were playing so they could schedule Coventry's games around that?

Either that or you coincide it with where Wasps play i.e. Coventry play away when Wasps are at home and vice versa.

Rugby fixtures are a little later usually. Also rugby European fixtures are more complex as they are played at weekends so are a variable in terms of which will be home or away.
It’s obviously not impossible, and London Irish and Brentford share but it’s Brentford’s ground...

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Aug 2022 13:23

Stranded
Nameless

Not that disjointed having drawn at home to Swansea and then winning away at Port Vale in the League Cup.
Arguably we might be more disjointed if Loum and Sarr come into the side.
I would be happy with a draw ahead of two tricky home fixtures.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Aug 2022 13:47

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Nameless

Not that disjointed having drawn at home to Swansea and then winning away at Port Vale in the League Cup.

Given only 3 players played in both, there should be less cohesion given we have played very similar sides for 2 games. So by tomorrow, most of the team will have only played 1 game, and most 2 weeks ago. Whether that gives us an edge or not is a fair debate.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Aug 2022 13:52

Stranded
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Given only 3 players played in both, there should be less cohesion given we have played very similar sides for 2 games. So by tomorrow, most of the team will have only played 1 game, and most 2 weeks ago. Whether that gives us an edge or not is a fair debate.

By 5-00 tomorrow we will have a better idea-one extra ray of hope is that they also have quite a long injury list.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Aug 2022 21:10

Burnley are really nothing special

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2022 21:34

windermereROYAL Burnley are really nothing special

They haven't even played 3 games yet......

Nobody has said they are special.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Aug 2022 21:48

windermereROYAL Burnley are really nothing special

Watford look like a smash n grab team. Can't really work out what their tactics are, apart from hoof the ball up field.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Aug 2022 11:29

Yes as expected Coventry`s game against Wigan on Tuesday is off.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Aug 2022 11:33

windermereROYAL Yes as expected Coventry`s game against Wigan on Tuesday is off.

They’re going to end up playing every other day at this rate

Still, won’t have played in the massive heat :roll:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Aug 2022 11:44

Franchise FC
windermereROYAL Yes as expected Coventry`s game against Wigan on Tuesday is off.

They’re going to end up playing every other day at this rate

Still, won’t have played in the massive heat :roll:

They`re playing today, at Millwall.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Aug 2022 12:20

I can't see that pitch being ready for their following home game next Sat so they will be potentially three games behind

17133 posts