Rival Watch

17149 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2022 07:46

Hound Actually QPR play tonight

So they might well be 4th by this evening

Hopefully they win tonight and get battered on Saturday.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 25 Jan 2022 08:22

windermereROYAL Nothing will make me happier than us staying up and Bournemouth staying down with no parachute money next season.

+ 1

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Jan 2022 08:36

If Bournemouth stay down surely they'll breach FFP almost immediately or do we have to wait 3 years?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 08:39

Silver Fox If Bournemouth stay down surely they'll breach FFP almost immediately or do we have to wait 3 years?

depends what their last couple of years of accounts look like

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2022 08:39

Silver Fox If Bournemouth stay down surely they'll breach FFP almost immediately or do we have to wait 3 years?

I doubt they will be close for a while - they've sold over 100m in players since relegation. Ake alone was over 40m.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 09:01

quick google suggests they lost 30m in 18/19, 60m in 19/20. Expect they lost a lot last year as well. Both those in the prem - not sure how this works re: to FFP in the champ

Swiss ramble on them here. TL:DR - they probably are in the shit if they don't go up again. And their parachutes will drop from 35m to 16m

https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/ ... 1450052611

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 13:33

Stoke, Middlesbrough and Swansea have suffered similar fates when not getting promoted back to the PL and the latter two may seemingly get hit by FFP regulations next season.

I know a lot of people moan about clubs like ourselves, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday for gambling to get to the PL, but having parachute payments actually gives those clubs relegated a gamble to reach the Premier League as well. It usually doesn't end up very good either for clubs who don't make it up within 3 seasons, Swansea are now bottom half and will probably stick in this division for another 5+ years yet.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Jan 2022 13:53

As frustrating as it is to be at the centre of it, you could definitely argue that FFP works. The likes of Bournemouth, Cardiff, Boro, Swansea etc. can see the price ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have paid for reckless risk taking, and if they're now facing a couple of years transfer embargo followed by points deduction then they only have themselves to blame.

Of course, you're currently rewarded for cheating if you succeed in promotion, so finding a way to block promotion for offenders would basically end the whole practice. You can also make an argument that it's stratifying the league, with relegation battles between those with embargoes and points deductions with the relegated sides fighting for promotion.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Jan 2022 13:53

As frustrating as it is to be at the centre of it, you could definitely argue that FFP works. The likes of Bournemouth, Cardiff, Boro, Swansea etc. can see the price ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have paid for reckless risk taking, and if they're now facing a couple of years transfer embargo followed by points deduction then they only have themselves to blame.

Of course, you're currently rewarded for cheating if you succeed in promotion, so finding a way to block promotion for offenders would basically end the whole practice. You can also make an argument that it's stratifying the league, with relegation battles between those with embargoes and points deductions with the relegated sides fighting for promotion.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 13:58

WestYorksRoyal As frustrating as it is to be at the centre of it, you could definitely argue that FFP works. The likes of Bournemouth, Cardiff, Boro, Swansea etc. can see the price ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have paid for reckless risk taking, and if they're now facing a couple of years transfer embargo followed by points deduction then they only have themselves to blame.

I made a similar comment yesterday saying that the bottom of the Championship is usually comprised with teams that have recently been promoted from L1 as well as clubs who have difficult financial situations, points deductions etc.

Unfortunately, it is dividing the league and whilst clubs like Brentford have found ways to progress themselves as a club (you could even argue QPR over the last 2/3 seasons as well as Blackburn), the majority of clubs cannot seem to find that balance.

I've always thought there has to be a punishment for those clubs who "cheat" their way to promotion, but obviously that can be difficult to judge depending on what season you get promoted. Although I do not think it's fair that someone like Villa, who were one final defeat away from potentially being in Derby's situation now, won promotion and that the EFL have washed their hands of it now they are in the PL.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Jan 2022 14:09

It's currently impossible to implement up front as they wait for accounts to be published a year later. A pretty simple solution for me would be:

1) Financial years 1 July - 30 June as it aligns with seasons.

2) Every year, clubs use 31 March data to do 9 months hard data plus 3 months forecast. This can be submitted in 6 weeks by mid May. It doesn't need to be a full set of accounts. Start warning clubs who are sailing close to the wind.

3) At the start of July, compare the final 3 months against forecast. Any team in breach of FFP has promotion blocked.

Could result in clubs selling their best players in June to secure promotion, but I guess if it keeps them within the rules....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2022 14:37

WestYorksRoyal It's currently impossible to implement up front as they wait for accounts to be published a year later. A pretty simple solution for me would be:

1) Financial years 1 July - 30 June as it aligns with seasons.

2) Every year, clubs use 31 March data to do 9 months hard data plus 3 months forecast. This can be submitted in 6 weeks by mid May. It doesn't need to be a full set of accounts. Start warning clubs who are sailing close to the wind.

3) At the start of July, compare the final 3 months against forecast. Any team in breach of FFP has promotion blocked.

Could result in clubs selling their best players in June to secure promotion, but I guess if it keeps them within the rules....

Any promotion being blocked would need the PL to sign up to it as well.

Can't see that happening as the EFL would either end up promoting a side who finished outside the top 2 and lost the play-offs or the PL would have to "rescue" a relegated side - both would arguably weaken the product and as a result the money.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 25 Jan 2022 16:56

Bournemouth will be okay as long as they continue to have sellable assets like Dominic Solanke, but with each season of remaining in the Championship another piece of the family silver has to be sold off to meet FFP figures. When they will be genuinely oxf*rd is when they have no more sellable assets. I think they may be fine if they don’t go up this year, but if they fail to up this season and fail to do so again in 2023-24, then a serious deck of cards situation may happen.

Surely it must must be a shit or bust season for Stoke this year, more so than Bournemouth?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jan 2022 20:04

P’boro 1-up early doors
Barnsley 1-down

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jan 2022 20:06

AthleticoSpizz P’boro 1-up early doors
Barnsley 1-down

Not good for Peterborough to take the lead but our record vs the bottom half is pretty good, so that's a reason to be optimistic I think.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jan 2022 20:29

tidus_mi2
Barnsley 1-down

Not good for Peterborough to take the lead but our record vs the bottom half is pretty good, so that's a reason to be optimistic I think.

Peterborough look good value for their lead so far. Better than I’ve seen us play in a while.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Jan 2022 20:32

tidus_mi2
Barnsley 1-down

I'm not so worried. João looks like he has hit the ground running, Meite is nearly back, if we can get some of these players back, we can start picking points up again. Hopefully Drinkwater will no longer be picked and f*ck off back to robbing Chelsea.
I fancy us to beat QPR.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jan 2022 20:43

Posh concede a lot of second half goals.....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 20:49

We can only hope that Birmingham can put in a better second half performance and at least take some points off Posh, who knows how important that might be.

Although, like a few others, I'm not massively concerned. Providing we keep our players fit, I think we've got more than enough to get more points than those below us and stay up this season. We just have to start picking up results ourselves, but I am quietly confident about Saturday.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jan 2022 21:11

2-0 Peterborough, guess it's on us to improve our form.

17149 posts