Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 20 Jul 2022 16:48

We look stable by comparison

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2022 17:14

Hound We look stable by comparison

I wouldn’t go that far. They're certainly more consistent.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Jul 2022 19:31

YorkshireRoyal99 Seems the O'Brien and Toffolo deal has collapsed now, due to personal reasons with the latter. Forest are now looking to resurrect a deal for just O'Brien but, unless Huddersfield's stance changes, it seems unlikely right now.

They've signed according to BBC. Hudds look quite weak all of a sudden

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jul 2022 20:46

Feels like Stoke will be in the shit with FFP if they don't go up this season. Looks like they're signing Gayle on a free from Newcastle, bet his wages are quite generous.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jul 2022 22:21

Mid Sussex Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Seems the O'Brien and Toffolo deal has collapsed now, due to personal reasons with the latter. Forest are now looking to resurrect a deal for just O'Brien but, unless Huddersfield's stance changes, it seems unlikely right now.

Their previous manager certainly knew he'd be losing all of his better players. Im guessing the parachute payments must be stopping for them this season? They simply had to win that playoff final didn't they?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 09:42

NathStPaul
Mid Sussex Royal

Their previous manager certainly knew he'd be losing all of his better players. Im guessing the parachute payments must be stopping for them this season? They simply had to win that playoff final didn't they?

I think they do and I think that's the case.

I know it was in the news at the back end of last calendar year that they were looking for investment from somewhere, so might be struggling for cash again. It might be the case where they lose their better players, but don't have much to reinvest. Only time will tell though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jul 2022 14:02

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
Mid Sussex Royal

I think they do and I think that's the case.

I know it was in the news at the back end of last calendar year that they were looking for investment from somewhere, so might be struggling for cash again. It might be the case where they lose their better players, but don't have much to reinvest. Only time will tell though.

Huddersfield had their last parachute payment last season. West Brom have their last payment this season. The only other clubs currently in receipt of parachute payments in the Championship are Norwich (final payment due in 23/24, Watford (final payment due in 23/24), Burnley (final payment due in 24/25) & Sheff Utd (final payment due in 23/24).

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jul 2022 15:00

oxf*rd me Lingard likely to go Forest and a salary of almost £200k per week.

https://twitter.com/Transferzone00/stat ... gr%5Etweet

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Jul 2022 15:05

blythspartan oxf*rd me Lingard likely to go Forest and a salary of almost £200k per week.

Good signing but that is a lot of pesos

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 21 Jul 2022 15:34

blythspartan oxf*rd me Lingard likely to go Forest and a salary of almost £200k per week.

Mental money. He isn't worth half that.

He's got more baggage than Heathrow!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jul 2022 18:35

Imagine if they go down with that squad. I wonder if they would breach FFP sooner rather than later even with parachute payments.

One thing I didn't know was that Lindgard has a private jet. He must really have been on stupid money all his career.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2022 19:25

PATRIQT

Telegraph now reporting its a 1 year deal on 80k pw. So just over 4m. So likely to cost about 6 or 7m all in with signing on fee, bonuses etc. 1 year deal means they aren't straddled with him if they do drop.

Actually beginning to think it might be a decent deal.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 19:30

Stranded
PATRIQT

Telegraph now reporting its a 1 year deal on 80k pw. So just over 4m. So likely to cost about 6 or 7m all in with signing on fee, bonuses etc. 1 year deal means they aren't straddled with him if they do drop.

That’s a reasonable deal if he can capture his early Utd form or the form he had at West Ham.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2022 06:07

Really surprised he accepted a 1 year deal. He must be being compensated for that in terms of salary, expect it’s more than 80

Not a bad piece of business but Forest are certainly burning through that prem league bonus very quickly. Suppose acceptance their squad was no where near up to prem levels

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Jul 2022 09:40

This is by far their best bit of planning.

No commitment beyond the season so relegation would not compromise them financially. A player keen to show that a place in Qatar might be possible

Where’s the downside for them?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 22 Jul 2022 09:47

Yeah seems like a clever deal, hes shown in the past he's a top 6 or even 4 player. Great chance for him to play every week, maybe get back in the England squad and Forest aren't stuck with him if they go down or he doesnt work out.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jul 2022 10:07

Hound Really surprised he accepted a 1 year deal. He must be being compensated for that in terms of salary, expect it’s more than 80

Not a bad piece of business but Forest are certainly burning through that prem league bonus very quickly. Suppose acceptance their squad was no where near up to prem levels

To be fair, it wasn't really, they did finish bottom half the season before (probably more down to Hughton not getting more from the squad admittedly) and I can't remember the last time they reached the play offs bar last season?

I know they've been there or thereabouts previously but, it's not like Brentford where they were consistently pushing for promotion and making the play offs, so they probably had a squad that didn't need a major overhaul like Forest's.

I think, no matter which side from the play offs got promoted last season, they'd have all needed massive investment and probably 6+ new first team players to have any chance or survival.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 22 Jul 2022 10:11

Stranded
PATRIQT

At 80k a week definitely worth a punt, and no danger with a one year deal.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2022 10:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Really surprised he accepted a 1 year deal. He must be being compensated for that in terms of salary, expect it’s more than 80

To be fair, it wasn't really, they did finish bottom half the season before (probably more down to Hughton not getting more from the squad admittedly) and I can't remember the last time they reached the play offs bar last season?

I know they've been there or thereabouts previously but, it's not like Brentford where they were consistently pushing for promotion and making the play offs, so they probably had a squad that didn't need a major overhaul like Forest's.

I think, no matter which side from the play offs got promoted last season, they'd have all needed massive investment and probably 6+ new first team players to have any chance or survival.

That's why they'll still struggle. If you get promoted without a team that's ready, you can try to give them a chance and bank the money, and hope that spirit and a good team can do the trick (spoiler: it very rarely does and will typically last only a year even then). Or you can do the QPR approach and bet big, but the team will take time to gel and lose cohesion. Forest are going for the latter but at least seem to be focusing on character and not just yesteryear talent (I.e., not going full QPR).

If you want to survive in the PL, your best bet is to wait for promotion until you have a spine of a team to compete, so you can focus on 3 or 4 high quality signings. Though even that is tough; I'd say Brentford and Leeds followed that model and both will struggle next season in my view.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Jul 2022 13:11

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99

That's why they'll still struggle. If you get promoted without a team that's ready, you can try to give them a chance and bank the money, and hope that spirit and a good team can do the trick (spoiler: it very rarely does and will typically last only a year even then). Or you can do the QPR approach and bet big, but the team will take time to gel and lose cohesion. Forest are going for the latter but at least seem to be focusing on character and not just yesteryear talent (I.e., not going full QPR).

If you want to survive in the PL, your best bet is to wait for promotion until you have a spine of a team to compete, so you can focus on 3 or 4 high quality signings. Though even that is tough; I'd say Brentford and Leeds followed that model and both will struggle next season in my view.

The real difficulty of this approach is keeping that spine of a team when you just miss out on promotion in the years before you get it. PL teams will come in and cherry-pick your best players, so you'll be back to square one.

17149 posts