17149 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 11:25

under the tin
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
It begs the question, why specifically Bournemouth then? There are plenty of clubs of similar size/stature doing better than us right now, Brighton, Norwich, Watford etc.

I would say it is because we realistically could be Bournemouth if things had gone differently for us. I would argue they are almost a direct equivilant to us in terms of the town size, club size, support base etc.
Brighton and Norwich are both City teams with a far richer history than our own and Watford nobody could really envy due to their ridiculous business model and way they operate in general. That said I would bet you a lot of our supporters would swap places with Watford in a heartbeat.

There is actually a bit of rivalry with Brighton, it stems back to when they were promoted the first time.

Richer History? Brighton???

I would say so yes, but only just. I think them being FA Cup runners up just gives them the edge over us. Very similar though, certainly debatable.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2022 11:32

NathStPaul The rivalry with Bournemouth stems from the jealousy of some sections of our support. We want to be them, we are desperate to be Bournemouth.

That's utter bollocks. The rivalry with Bournemouth goes back decades. It was a thing when I was a kid in the 80s. Its always been pretty much one way though because we had bigger rivalries with Swindon, Oxford and Aldershot.

I think we've played them more than any other team. We were geographically their closest rivals.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 May 2022 11:35

YorkshireRoyal99
leon You can feel the crackling sexual tension on the Team Board this morning

I see... this is the reams of specious shit you were referring to. Good observation.

It's called a joke, you twat.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 11:36

From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul The rivalry with Bournemouth stems from the jealousy of some sections of our support. We want to be them, we are desperate to be Bournemouth.

That's utter bollocks. The rivalry with Bournemouth goes back decades. It was a thing when I was a kid in the 80s. Its always been pretty much one way though because we had bigger rivalries with Swindon, Oxford and Aldershot.

I think we've played them more than any other team. We were geographically their closest rivals.

Simply untrue.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2022 11:39

NathStPaul
From Despair To Where?

Simply untrue.

Really? Take this as a learning oportunity. Do your research and accept tou are wrong with grace and humility.

It was always a big joke in the 80s that they hated us with a passion but we didn't give a shit about them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2022 11:41

NathStPaul
From Despair To Where?

Simply untrue.

It really has gone back years, Bournemouth fans absolutely hated our period of success - I always saw it as more of a one way thing from them towards us - don't really see it as a 2 way thing, beyond a quiet chuckle when it goes tits up for them. Was definitely a thing in the early 90s as we were pretty much always in the same division and we were their nearest club.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 11:41

From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul
From Despair To Where? That's utter bollocks. The rivalry with Bournemouth goes back decades. It was a thing when I was a kid in the 80s. Its always been pretty much one way though because we had bigger rivalries with Swindon, Oxford and Aldershot.

Simply untrue.

Really? Take this as a learning oportunity. Do your research and accept tou are wrong with grace and humility.

You're also missing the point. I was referencing the issues Reading supporters have with Bournemouth, not the other way around. I am not interested in anything that happened in the 80's where like you say, we didn't consider them rivals. They are rivals in the eyes of our supporters in modern times due to their success and our inability to accept we are a very small club with little or no future.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 May 2022 11:41

From Despair To Where?

Absolutely. Our statto friends could compile a list of frequent league fixtures, and you can bet that the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Fulham, Gillingham, Brighton, Brentford, etc would feature strongly. Surely that's the most reliable barometer of RFC's actual peer group.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2022 11:50

NathStPaul
From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul Simply untrue.

You're also missing the point. I was referencing the issues Reading supporters have with Bournemouth, not the other way around. I am not interested in anything that happened in the 80's where like you say, we didn't consider them rivals. They are rivals in the eyes of our supporters in modern times due to their success and our inability to accept we are a very small club with little or no future.

Really though, I just don't see it, even on Twitter. There are a few posts laughing at them as they looked like mucking it up but that more stems from their fans going on at the start of the season to them definitely beating the 106 record, so just a bit of schadenfreunde as they clearly missed it by a country mile.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 11:52

Stranded
NathStPaul
From Despair To Where?

Really though, I just don't see it, even on Twitter. There are a few posts laughing at them as they looked like mucking it up but that more stems from their fans going on at the start of the season to them definitely beating the 106 record, so just a bit of schadenfreunde as they clearly missed it by a country mile.

They are certainly up there with Fulham when it comes to "banter" on Twitter I'd say. I think Fulham have taken over as public enemy number one in recent times, stems from the Yann penalty in the playoff semi I'd guess.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2022 11:54

NathStPaul
From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul Simply untrue.

Yet you dismiss something as "simply untrue" that is very much true.

We he have shared nearly 60 seasons with Boutnemouth. They have always seen us as a big rival because of the frequency with which we play them and the relative geographical closeness. Don't dismiss facts just because your too young, dumb and full of piss and vinegar to know any better.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 11:59

leon
YorkshireRoyal99
leon You can feel the crackling sexual tension on the Team Board this morning

I see... this is the reams of specious shit you were referring to. Good observation.

The comment was actually in your favour, but yeah nice one.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 12:00

Come on guys, be nice to eachother. No need for names.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 12:12

Watford are in advanced talks with Forest Green manager Rob Edwards to takeover at Vicarage Road. Not sure if it's already been posted or not.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 May 2022 12:29

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul You are defending the club, you are stating that there is no reason to want to be another club despite our obvious awful current standing. You are blind to any of the clubs failings and have repeatedly defending Kia, the owners and the players.

Going full Ian here aren’t you....
The idea that a fan of a club would want to swap clubs woukdn’t Be something anyone with a feeling for the game would consider. Your inability to realise ‘the club’ is not thecurrent owner/custodian, it’s the fans. Ironic that in our 150th year your horizons are so narrow. I’m happy to defend RFC, have never defended Kia, rarely defend Dai. There is a huge difference between ‘defending’ and being a bit more aware of the reality behind many of the issues we face.
You’re obviously a fairly new fan and not aware of the history of Reading FC. WE’ve been in far worse positions on and off the pitch than we are now but those who follow the club haven’t decided they want to ‘be’ a different club

No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

So are you inferring Brentford and Bournemouth fans were jealous of us between 2005 and 2012?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 12:29

Zip
NathStPaul
Nameless
The idea that a fan of a club would want to swap clubs woukdn’t Be something anyone with a feeling for the game would consider. Your inability to realise ‘the club’ is not thecurrent owner/custodian, it’s the fans. Ironic that in our 150th year your horizons are so narrow. I’m happy to defend RFC, have never defended Kia, rarely defend Dai. There is a huge difference between ‘defending’ and being a bit more aware of the reality behind many of the issues we face.
You’re obviously a fairly new fan and not aware of the history of Reading FC. WE’ve been in far worse positions on and off the pitch than we are now but those who follow the club haven’t decided they want to ‘be’ a different club

No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

So are you inferring Brentford and Bournemouth fans were jealous of us between 2005 and 2012?

Absolutely.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 May 2022 12:35

YorkshireRoyal99
leon
YorkshireRoyal99

The comment was actually in your favour, but yeah nice one.

ha ha :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2022 12:36

Zip
NathStPaul
Nameless

Bournemouth fans did absolutely hate our success at that time.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 May 2022 12:37

Stranded
Zip
NathStPaul No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

Bournemouth fans did absolutely hate our success at that time.

Pretty sure Brighton did too, but that might be because we nicked their manager

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 May 2022 13:14

So basically Nathan envies Bournemouth but knows it's wrong so he's trying to claim that everyone else feels the same? Moron

17149 posts