Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Sutekh » 06 Aug 2019 21:47

The Cube
STAR Liaison
The Enfield Royal71
I think it works on a lot of variables after GD and then goes to a play-off

The EFL have changed this, I think, because of the impossibility of fitting in a play-off to determine position before the actual play-offs start so it now goes something like GD, goals scored, Head to head to head, away goals, discipline. Basically they were throwing everything in to avoid ever having a play-off . I'm sure there never has been one either.

The beauty of the old goal average system was could 'win' by 1/1000 of a goal or whatever.

Play-off is still a theoretical possibility, but there are so many intermediate criteria that it is never going to happen. STAR Liaison has it mostly right, although number of wins comes before away goals.

Anyway, to the important point, I can confirm that Reading are indeed off the bottom of the table, because we have 0 disciplinary points whilst Bristol City have 12 thanks to 3 yellow cards.

Disciplinary points deciding positions? Is that new?

The Cube

by The Cube » 06 Aug 2019 22:22

Sutekh
The Cube
STAR Liaison
The EFL have changed this, I think, because of the impossibility of fitting in a play-off to determine position before the actual play-offs start so it now goes something like GD, goals scored, Head to head to head, away goals, discipline. Basically they were throwing everything in to avoid ever having a play-off . I'm sure there never has been one either.

The beauty of the old goal average system was could 'win' by 1/1000 of a goal or whatever.

Play-off is still a theoretical possibility, but there are so many intermediate criteria that it is never going to happen. STAR Liaison has it mostly right, although number of wins comes before away goals.

Anyway, to the important point, I can confirm that Reading are indeed off the bottom of the table, because we have 0 disciplinary points whilst Bristol City have 12 thanks to 3 yellow cards.

Yes - last season it was just points, goal difference, goals scored, then play-off. But obviously it will never apply in practice at the end of a season.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 06 Aug 2019 23:06

The Cube
Sutekh
The Cube Play-off is still a theoretical possibility, but there are so many intermediate criteria that it is never going to happen. STAR Liaison has it mostly right, although number of wins comes before away goals.

Yes - last season it was just points, goal difference, goals scored, then play-off. But obviously it will never apply in practice at the end of a season.

Do Assistant Coach cards count as well? Asking for a friend. :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Aug 2019 23:29

Chameleon
The Cube
Sutekh

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Cube

by The Cube » 07 Aug 2019 19:51

Chameleon
The Cube
Sutekh

No, it's just players. I think you've found a loophole that we can use to our advantage.

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 08 Aug 2019 08:54

Sutekh
The Cube
STAR Liaison

It's like using boundaries scored in the Cricket World Cup. It'll never be needed so why not just add it anyway... :?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Aug 2019 12:50

Round up of all championship teams dealings so far this summer

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... fer-window

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2019 13:05

Sutekh Round up of all championship teams dealings so far this summer

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... fer-window

good to see it all in one place. So many changes at so many clubs. Take Brentford for example.

My problem is that given i don;t play Football Manager, et al, then I do not know who most of these players, especially from international leagues. Therefore, I find it impossible to tell who has strenghtened and who might be weaker, with perhaps the execption of Derby who definitely look weaker to me. It also doesn't include players we had on loan at the end of the season (and assume that's the same for all clubs, including Derby).

I reckon you put 24 names in a hat and pull them out randomly and it might be about as accurate as me trying to predict things. I guess that's the beauty of the Championship. Although by repute and prior season's performance you can broadly split it into top, middle and bottom third (or look at the bookies' odds).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Aug 2019 14:38

Luke Steele on loan to Millwall fro Forest
Cameron Carter-Vickers on loan to Stoke from Spurs
Grady Diangana on loan to WBA from West Ham

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Aug 2019 19:12

If Leeds had done what we did in the window, the media would be all over it!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2019 19:28

Some good business done by other clubs

Would have liked Afobe instead of Joao Lucas and Chalobah

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Aug 2019 19:56

3points Some good business done by other clubs

I think for me the big one that got away was maybe Martinez.
It may never have been realistic anyway, so not sure how much we pushed for it.
But if we had got him over the line, we'd have been set, and with cheap backups in Walker and Southwood.
And we wouldn't have had to faff around with the saga of signing these other two keepers.
To me, Martinez was a real difference maker last season. Hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Aug 2019 21:52

Looks like Hull have pretty much signed a new team today too - so no idea what to expect on Sat.

Could be a very disjointed performance from both sides, or an absolute cracker!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Aug 2019 06:13

Denver Royal
3points Some good business done by other clubs

I think for me the big one that got away was maybe Martinez.
It may never have been realistic anyway, so not sure how much we pushed for it.
But if we had got him over the line, we'd have been set, and with cheap backups in Walker and Southwood.
And we wouldn't have had to faff around with the saga of signing these other two keepers.
To me, Martinez was a real difference maker last season. Hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

Once Arsenal confirmed he was going to be their number 2, I don’t think there was any chance, unfortunately.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Aug 2019 07:12

Bostock joined Forest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2019 12:07

Notts Royal Looks like Hull have pretty much signed a new team today too - so no idea what to expect on Sat.

Signed 3 very average players and Pennington who is decent.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Aug 2019 20:28

Forest have now signed (including loans) 52 players since June 2017. As Daniel Storey points out on twitter that is 1 every 15 days.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2019 20:53

Stranded
Notts Royal Looks like Hull have pretty much signed a new team today too - so no idea what to expect on Sat.

Signed 3 very average players and Pennington who is decent.

On FM19 I sold Moore to West Ham for £12m and Pennington proved an excellent replacement. I know very little about him in real life, but FM is normally pretty reliable tbf.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Aug 2019 21:07

Cherno Samba says you're talking bollocks.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 09 Aug 2019 21:39

Freddy Adu says Hi!

17149 posts